Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Ophthalmologist?
Optician?
Optometrist?

I confess I have only an inkling of what the difference is.
I need to find someone to do a routine exam, like to have pressures and retinas checked... plus the acuity and rx.

Which would be best?

Let'sgoflying! said:
Ophthalmologist?
Optician?
Optometrist?

I need to find someone to do a routine exam, like to have pressures and retinas checked... plus the acuity and rx.

Which would be best?

My last visit was to the Ophthalmologist and he did all those things.

greg

Let'sgoflying! said:
Ophthalmologist?
Optician?
Optometrist?

Which would be best?
Dave, you need an opthamologist. They are MDs. The Optometrist has a DO.

IMHO:
Ophthalmologist - M.D.
Find a good one who will talk to you and explain things.
The extra $$ is peace of mind, and vision.

I disagree, Ben.

I've had much better luck with DO's for refraction, and a DO was the only one, not an MD, who was able to straighten out my wife's problems with contacts. And yes, a DO can do the pressure tests etc. I quit going to MD's because they didn't help...

fgcason said:
IMHO:
Ophthalmologist - M.D.
Find a good one who will talk to you and explain things.
The extra $$ is peace of mind, and vision.

If you follow the pop-ups for Eclipse Aviation; specifically, the one with three men featured with their biographies, read the bio of the one who's pictured with the eye-examining instruments. That's Dr. Ken Wolf, Lewiston, ME; my AME. Ken has his order in for the Eclipse 500 jet which will replace his Mitsubishi MU-2. He'll still have the Robinson R-22 for other fun.

HR

http://www.wolfeye.com/meet drwolf.htm

Last edited:
wangmyers said:
Dave, you need an opthamologist. They are MDs. The Optometrist has a DO.
That would be "O.D." for the optometrist.
Optician: fits and sells glasses/lenses. Doesn't write the prescription.
Optometrist: Tests and prescribes lenses. Training is specifically eye. In some states can prescribe some drugs. Generally ok if they resist the temptation to branch out to stuff they're not qualified for.
Ophthalmologist: physician (MD or DO) with at least 4 years of additional specialty training in eye diseases. I'm biased: they're the best choice. Sometimes they succumb to the temptation of milking a very productive cash cow.

To add to what Graham said, an optometrist (O.D.) can do what you originally asked about ("do a routine exam, like to have pressures and retinas checked... plus the acuity and rx") just fine -- no need for an ophthalmologist for that, and your medical insurance will probably pay only for an optometrist anyway. However, if the OD finds anything wrong, an ophthalmologist is the person to see about that, although you'll probably need a referral from your primary care physician for your insurance to cover it. In addition, if the FAA wants a full eye evaluation (not just your regular routine eye exam), they want it from an ophthalmologist.

I have tried to do this after logging in but to no avail. Therefore, will do it as unregistered.

When I went to an OD to get my glasses updated, he did a pressure test. Detected higher than normal pressure and sent me to opthamologist. She did another test, detected beginning symptoms of glaucoma. She said no problems, good drugs these days. She prescribed Xalatan, which is on FAA accepted list. I did an FAA Form 8500-14 and sent it to OK City. Just got letter from FAA Med folks who asked to see the Humprey's Chart that the opthalmogist did during the exam. Got charts, just sent them off.

FAA letter said I still had medical, was not denied, but was under approval process. They send copy of their letter to my AME.

I am told that my case should be no problem once they review Humphrey's Charts. Opthamologist said my eyes test normal.

Steve

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back