Choosing A Flying School/ Training Organisation??

dasco04

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
dasco04
Choosing A Flying School/ Training Organisation... Please Help??

Hi All,

I am from Australia and planning to come to the States to finish my commercial licence and further my certificates/ ratings.

I'm finding that the hardest part is choosing the most suitable flying school. I assume it will be the same as Australia that there are a lot of mediocre schools out there, and a lot that are well known for money milking rather than good, honest training.

I need a school that is going to take the time to modify the syllabus to suit my situation, and accommodate the hours that I have already done. As well as one that generally has a good reputation and good outcomes.

At the moment I am looking at American Aviation Academy in San Diego, I would prefer California purely because of weather and location, but am willing to go anywhere in the States. Does anyone know anything about this school, or have any recommendations or tips when choosing a school?

Please Help!

Thanks!

Last edited:
I need a school that is going to take the time to modify the syllabus to suit my situation, and accommodate the hours that I have already done.

Hmmm, so you come here with demands in hand.

Lots of luck to you, mate.

Welcome to PoA.

Give us an idea of how many hours and previous experience?

You might do better with an independent instructor or an independent school. Most Part 61 schools should be willing to work with you.

Last edited:
I need a school that is going to take the time to modify the syllabus to suit my situation, and accommodate the hours that I have already done.

He's the flight school customer, why shouldn't he have needs he requires be met.

Here at KTMB, Dean International specializes in foreign students, mostly from India but they should be able to talk to you about what they can work out. ADF probably deals with a lot of foreign nationals also as does Silver Express. This is really the norm in S. Florida.

http://www.flymiami.com/
http://www.adfairways.net/

edit: You can also talk to Yogini at Orient in X51. They are a small school and may be more willing to work with you.

http://www.orientflightschool.net/

Last edited:
I'd avoid California; it would be the most expensive in every way. Fuel, lodging, food, etc. Try Texas or Florida for good schools and good weather.

Note: I was an instructor in California and even I left.

I live and fly in Arizona. Great weather year round (though hot a hell in the summer) and you literally can fly 362 days a year or so. I know my flight school accommodates international students and students who come here just for flight training, but I don't know any students personally who traveled from out of country, just out of state. PM me if you want more info.

Parts of the country with high cost of living indices will be what you want to avoid. If you are only living here to train, there's no point in living in or near a large metro area. There are flight schools all over.

You could do your ratings in a small part 61 school in the midwest or Florida and save money on cost of living alone. Expect to have to go through the TSA check regardless of where you are from since you are an international student. Australia is on the VWP but if your training is expected to take longer than 3 months, you will need a Visa.

I can't recommend Pilots Choice enough. Based out of Georgetown TX, just half hour north of Austin.. Beth is the owner, been the owner for a long time now, she has a ton of aircraft to choose from, a great staff of CFI's and she could probably hook you up with lodging if need be - otherwise Georgetown is as cheap rent as you can get. 320+ average VFR flying days a year, Controlled class D airspace and maybe you will get to ride in the B25 if you're lucky ;) If you have watched The Aviators series, you probably saw her talking about flying the b25. They do 141/61 and are always flexible to your needs.

Thanks everyone for the responses, they have been really helpful. Except
Dr. O.
- "Hmmm, so you come here with demands in hand.

Lots of luck to you, mate."

Flight training is a very expensive thing and everyones situation is different, training organisations should be there to help people meet their requests and goals. No one is asking for free accomodation or special treatment, just good quality training and goals to be met as quickly and most cost efficient as possible.

I have an Australian private licence and have done approximately 150 hours total, about 60 of them being pilot in command (all single VFR).

I plan to convert that to an FAA PPL and complete my CPL training and IFR and possibly others in the States. So with that I obviously dont need the PPL part that is intergrated into most courses and I have already completed half of the requirements for the CPL, this is why I need an organisation that is willing to sit down with me and work out a plan that is going to work for my situation and be the most time and cost efficient.

I will definitely have a look at all of the school suggested. Thank you!

Here at KTMB, Dean International specializes in foreign students, mostly from India but they should be able to talk to you about what they can work out. ADF probably deals with a lot of foreign nationals also as does Silver Express. This is really the norm in S. Florida.

http://www.flymiami.com/
http://www.adfairways.net/

edit: You can also talk to Yogini at Orient in X51. They are a small school and may be more willing to work with you.

http://www.orientflightschool.net/

I think the benefits of Miami or San Diego are significant although not necessarily the cheapest alternatives. Dean Aviation is pretty cool I was going to rent their Arrow when I vacation there (visiting the mother in law).

Smaller, more inexpensive schools can be had in the midwest maybe be more flexible but not much to do after 5pm.

I think the benefits of Miami or San Diego are significant although not necessarily the cheapest alternatives.
Correct, that is what makes AZ a great option....as long as you can stand the heat. Coming from Australia, I suspect he'd do fine.

Only caveat I would add about Arizona is to go ANYWHERE BUT DVT. Too many non-English speaking pilots, spotty radar coverage and super stressed controllers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
I forgot about Arizona. It's a good place to fly. I did Sheble's Aviation for my seaplane and a CFI reinstatement, but research them first before you consider them. They've changed over the years. I've heard negative things lately.

My next quest is Arizona Soaring South of Phoenix. Time for a glider add-on. ;)

In Australia a Commercial course (on its own, not including PPL) averages a minimum $40,000.. Multi engine IFR course is $30,000.. And on, and on.
Your Robinson 22 helicopters are the same price an hour to hire as what we pay for a piper warrior. It's pretty ridiculous out here, although not as bad as what I hear about Europe.
Not to mention at the moment I'm enrolled in a 3 year part time course just for my CPL, when I can get both CPL and IFR in between 3 and 5 months in the US.
After weighing everything up I will save at least 20 - 30,000 dollars. That's a hard thing to say no to. And on top of that I was planning a holiday there anyway. It all makes sense to me.

Lots of people i met when i was traveling in europe, backpacking a few years back were mainly Australians. Great people ive meet seemed alot of you fellas out there will spend a few years in another country doing whatever it may be.

Australians do seem to get out there a bit.. A lot of us are just procrastinating the real world and the rest of our working life.. But why not hey, the world has a lot to offer and we may as well take advantage of it while we are young, we have the rest of our lives to settle down

You have probably already looked into this, but you will need a school that is approved to issue the paperwork for an M1 or F1 visa.

For the commercial and multiengine commercial, you dont need the background check through the TSA alien flight student program. If you wish to pursue the IR, you will need the AFSP background check. I met a kid from australia who just went through this for his ME instrument last fall.

Whatever you do don't pre-pay for a significant amount of your training. Over the years, there have been a number of large scale bankruptcy fraud cases involving flight schools in the US (Florida, a sunny place for shady people). The international students who pre-paid for their training were usually left with nothing. So anytime, a flight-school starts asking for money up front (beyond maybe a $50 enrollment or document fee), dont walk away, run.

Why should he not receive credit for what has been done? There should be enough hours to spare to cover a couple of eval rides.

This quote matches the majority of customer service experiences at schools I've visited. It's worth contacting them ahead of time to see which end of the customer service cow you'll be dealing with. :D

There is a financial incentive at most places to prepay a small amount up front. I remain of the opinion that typical flight schools would literally fold overnight if the block time quasi-ponzi scheme were ever abandoned, so you might as well get the small 10-hour discount and never be more than a few days' at-risk. It works for active fliers. Have a nearby plan B just in case, though, because when schools pop around here, it seems to be with VERY little warning, and announced with a padlock on the door on Monday morning, and a printed "dude, our bad, theres no more money, lulz" on the inside of the window.

$0.02

- Mike

Correct, that is what makes AZ a great option....as long as you can stand the heat. Coming from Australia, I suspect he'd do fine.

Only caveat I would add about Arizona is to go ANYWHERE BUT DVT. Too many non-English speaking pilots, spotty radar coverage and super stressed controllers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There are non English speakers everywhere now. Though not as many as at DVT I've heard my fair share at KCHD and tons at KIWA too. I think kchd handles the training traffic a little better than KIWA. KIWA thinks they're some hot shot class bravo with their md80 traffic now.

It's worth mentioning that the 'best most popular' places for international students - Florida, Arizona, and Texas - are there because of good weather. However, all 3 of these places are horridly hot in summer - the US winter is preferable at these locations. California it doesn't matter as much. The midwest is spring, fall, summer preferred. Avoid winter.

Re: Choosing A Flying School/ Training Organisation... Please Help??

Hi All,

I am from Australia and planning to come to the States to finish my commercial licence and further my certificates/ ratings.

I'm finding that the hardest part is choosing the most suitable flying school. I assume it will be the same as Australia that there are a lot of mediocre schools out there, and a lot that are well known for money milking rather than good, honest training.

I need a school that is going to take the time to modify the syllabus to suit my situation, and accommodate the hours that I have already done. As well as one that generally has a good reputation and good outcomes.

At the moment I am looking at American Aviation Academy in San Diego, I would prefer California purely because of weather and location, but am willing to go anywhere in the States. Does anyone know anything about this school, or have any recommendations or tips when choosing a school?

Please Help!

Thanks!

Do you have your CASA Command Instrument Rating? Are you looking to build some time in actual? Montgomery Field in San Diego as well as Palomar just to the North see a good bit of marine layer. If you are VFR and want the most fliable days, look at Deer Valley in Phoenix.

I only have a CASA PPL (VFR only), I am looking to gain my IFR in the States.
Thanks for all the suggestions I will be looking into all of them!

Hi everyone,

I'm just looking at a school called Aviator College in Fort Pierce Florida. As far as accommodation and facilities go they look very well set up, but the most appealing things is for the instrument and commercial licences they offer 90% of it in twin aircraft. They reckon you come out of it with 200 hours twin time and its not that much more expensive that the quotes from other schools which only include 10/20 hours twin time.

The thing is I have read a lot of bad things about the school, but some great things as well. And after googling all the other schools I've been looking at they all have roughly 50/50 good and bad comments. Its so hard to judge as everyones experience with a school is different depending on their relationship with the instructor, commitment to the study etc.

Just wondering if any of you knew anything about the school and what you think of my theory that even if it is a bit unprofessional, is it not worth sucking it up just to come out with all the twin time? For 200 hours twin time in Australia would vary from $70,000 to 90,000 minimum (solo), so the time is very valuable to me.

Or does anyone know of any other school with a program similar to theirs?

Thanks in advance!

If you are looking at Florida you may want to check out this flight school
www.tailwheelsetc.com

I am from the United Kingdom and visited quite a few schools in Central Florida before deciding to sign up with Tailwheels, they have many overseas students on the various courses they offer.
I was never asked for any upfront money and did my training on a pay as you go basis.

I'm just looking at a school called Aviator College in Fort Pierce Florida. As far as accommodation and facilities go they look very well set up, but the most appealing things is for the instrument and commercial licences they offer 90% of it in twin aircraft. They reckon you come out of it with 200 hours twin time and its not that much more expensive that the quotes from other schools which only include 10/20 hours twin time.

Make sure you know what their 'twin time' actually represents. What tends to be done is that once you have your private, they put two students in a plane who alternate back and forth flying under the hood. Through a wrinkle in the FAA regulations, both can log the time as 'pilot in command'.

And again, do not under any circumstances whatsoever front a significant sum of money to a flight-school with the promise of some sort of discounted pilot training. 10hrs at a time maybe once you know the outfit, but not a penny before you get on site.

Hi everyone,

The thing is I have read a lot of bad things about the school, but some great things as well. And after googling all the other schools I've been looking at they all have roughly 50/50 good and bad comments. Its so hard to judge as everyones experience with a school is different depending on their relationship with the instructor, commitment to the study etc.

Just wondering if any of you knew anything about the school and what you think of my theory that even if it is a bit unprofessional, is it not worth sucking it up just to come out with all the twin time? For 200 hours twin time in Australia would vary from $70,000 to 90,000 minimum (solo), so the time is very valuable to me.

Or does anyone know of any other school with a program similar to theirs?

Thanks in advance!

The bulk of that twin time will likely be paired up with another student so half you will be flying and half you will be earning PIC time as safety pilot or MEI. That is the only way those numbers work out and that is the common practice. Other schools will do the same for you but if they do not specialize in that form of time-building then you might have trouble finding a partner so, if that is what you want, go with a school that emphasizes that. Just a rough calculation of, say, 50 hours single dual, 20 hours multi dual, and 180 hours paired multi runs about $40k so the price does not seem out-of-line.

Dean in Miami offers the same sort of paired time-building at a pretty cheap rate but, again, you need a partner and there may not be one available when you need it.

http://www.flymiami.com/tb.html

Thanks for the advice, you are all right, it is shared twin time (one flying under the hood, one being a safety pilot). But I'm sort of thinking that sometimes backseatting a flight can be just as valuable experience as actually flying. You can still learn from their mistakes etc. at the end of the day I think time is time, as long as it is definitely legal. I will check out dean international again, I have contacted them before, they just were a little but vague with answering my questions. Ill give it another go.and ill check out tailwheels. Cheers

at the end of the day I think time is time, as long as it is definitely legal.

Make sure CASA shares the FAAs interpretation on that issue. You dont want to sink 70k into a project like that to be told that 1/2 your time doesn't count when you try to apply the time to a rating back home.

I'm in much the same boat as the user from Australia, except in the United States. I live in Florida and am looking for a flight school around here. I previously served in the Army as a chopper pilot, but am now looking to break into the world of commercial flying. Does anyone know of a flight/aviation academy down here that does ATP certification. Someone on another discussion forum mentioned SkyEagle, but I don't know much about them and can't find their website. Plus, do you know if they do single lessons? I don't want to shell out cash upfront only to find out that it's not what I thought it was....

Thanks for your time,

Do you have GI bill or VA benefits to help you pay for your flight training ?

I did my training at Skywalk in Sacramento CA. Its as cheap as they come for CA schools and are very knowledgeable with international students including help obtaining an Visa. I cant say enough good things about the chief instructor Ty and the owner Gen.

http://www.skywalkinc.com/

I do have the GI bill. I don't know if it covers civilian aviation training.

I do have the GI bill. I don't know if it covers civilian aviation training.

This is what funded the 'golden age' of general aviation. They stopped paying at some point but I believe in the current iteration it is back 'on'.

They fund iirc from commercial on up. For you to get the training required to use your military qualifications in a civilian job should be covered.
There are some hoops. It has to be a 141 school and iirc they have to be approved by someone somwhere in the buerocracy to provide GI bill funded training. Most of the large 141 outfits should be able to do this.

When using GI bill money it is doubly important to know that it is the right school for YOU. The way this money is disbursed is that the school gets a chunk of it for a given 'course' up front. So if after a couple of hours you decide that it is not the right place, some of your funding is tied up with this school and getting it reallocated is a pain. So unless you can get a good inside scoop from some other military aviator who trained with a particular school, you may want to spend your own money for a couple of hours before you committ GI bill money.

Back