Choosing a CFI (sort of)

flightmedic

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
flightmedic
Can you get a PPL through a CFI that is not affiliated with a school? In other words, If I knew someone who was a CFI, can I get my PPL through him training me or do I need to go through an actual school?

Can you get a PPL through a CFI that is not affiliated with a school? In other words, If I knew someone who was a CFI, can I get my PPL through him training me or do I need to go through an actual school?

Yes. I did it that way. After each lesson I wrote one check out to my CFI, the other to the airplane rental firm.

Depends on where you rent the plane and their rules (usually from the insurance company). The biggest issue is if they will let you solo.
One option is to find a flying club that allows student pilots.

The answer is YES... in fact, if the person is a good instructor, you are likely to do just fine with it.

Ryan

Keep in mind that the vast majority rental places are not going to permit instruction in their aircraft unless the instructor works for them. You need to find yourself a club to get away from that issue.

In my case, I'm on the insurance for one of the local rental places, but I don't work for them and am independent. I work how I'd like, set my own price, and don't have issues flying in private aircraft. It's really a great setup. Thanks Clay.

Generally an instructor has to work for the FBO then they have to bill everything they do through that FBO. No thanks.

I'm a CFI that has and uses my own C-152 for training. The students pay me for the use of the plane and my time. There probably aren't very many CFIs in the situation as Jesse, Clay and myself but they are out there.
Good luck

I've had a few CFI's and they are all like Jeanie. You either fly in the CFI's rental plane, the FBO's rental plane or your own plane. The CFI is one issue and one bill to pay, and the rental or purchase of the airplane that is flown is a completely different expense.

I am in the boonies (although we do have indoor plumbing) and this is about the only way it can work out here. Currently I fly my own plane and pay the instructor by the hour. Before I bought my plane I was paying rental to the FBO and hourly rate to the CFI.

I pay my CFI separate from my flight school, he is independent.

Last edited:
Back