Cholesterol count is down

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
Just had my cholesterol checked at a health screening here at work. Down from 220 to 190. Yaaay!!!! Time to go celebrate with a double cheeseburger with bacon :rofl:

/me prepares to move this thread to Medical Matters after Joe's bacon cheeseburger triggers a heart attack...

Seriously tho - congrats - great news! :)

Joe Williams said:
Time to go celebrate with a double cheeseburger with bacon :rofl:
My mouth is watering. I've been on salads and low/non-fat stuff for almost two months. Lost 10 lbs and 'shifted' the rest around with gym visits three times a week. I'm actually up to running 3 miles in 30 minutes now.

I'm kinda curious where I'm sitting now on the whole cholesterol count.

Congratulations Joe! That's great news. How about some lard poached eggs?

Trying to track weight loss as you become more active can be down right frustrating. For a while, I was adding a bit of weight per week, but then I correlated the increase in weight back to increased water consumption and a 3mph swing in my average 30 mile loop speed. I may not be perfect, but damn this feels good...

The upside of all of this, is that Micky D's and the associated crap food just doesn't taste good anymore. I feel like garbage if I eat it, too, which is as good as it can get to keep me from doing it again. Now, if someone can prevent me from eating too much barbecue.... :)

Cheers,

-Andrew

astanley said:
Now, if someone can prevent me from eating too much barbecue.... :)
Oxymoron - there's no such thing as "too much barbeque" :no:

Congrats, Joe. I am using the ostrich method for cholesterol control ... head buried firmly in the sand ... I don't want to know!!!

Yeah, just kidding (sort of) ... I need to get mine checked again soon. Started back up at the gym last month and am averaging 3 visits per week so far.

Congrats Joe! Keep it up :)

My weight has increased too much since my medical.. I really need to get myself in check. That and make sure that I don't end up like other family members with diabetes.

Oh, I'll come right out and say it...

I need to stop spending so much time on forums and actually go exercise :hairraise:

wbarnhill said:
Congrats Joe! Keep it up :)

My weight has increased too much since my medical.. I really need to get myself in check. That and make sure that I don't end up like other family members with diabetes.

Oh, I'll come right out and say it...

I need to stop spending so much time on forums and actually go exercise :hairraise:

Take up a sport..

When we met i was about 235, i played soccer then but i now play on 4 teams 4 times a week and am down to 205.. My feet are tore up but hey i can run like forrest!!! haahhahah

Joe Williams said:
Just had my cholesterol checked at a health screening here at work. Down from 220 to 190. Yaaay!!!! Time to go celebrate with a double cheeseburger with bacon :rofl:
Joe, how did you do it?

Part of the reason I am a vegetarian is because of genetic high cholesterol, if that makes sense. Most of my family is near 300 for LDL, but I am at about 210 because I eat no animals. I really am having a tough time cutting out dairy, because I love cheese, cheese pizza, burritos, etc.

Did you take anything natural like flax seed oil? Exercise?

(I exercise regularly, but my LDL is still at 210--OK, but I want it lower.)

spiderweb said:
Joe, how did you do it?

Part of the reason I am a vegetarian is because of genetic high cholesterol, if that makes sense. Most of my family is near 300 for LDL, but I am at about 210 because I eat no animals. I really am having a tough time cutting out dairy, because I love cheese, cheese pizza, burritos, etc.

Did you take anything natural like flax seed oil? Exercise?

(I exercise regularly, but my LDL is still at 210--OK, but I want it lower.)

Im not a nutritionist but i am a personal trainer (part time) but i do have some nutritionist i doconsult for clients and even my own father. Here are some things that i have researched and been told that help greatly.

1. Eat LOTS of foods that are high in Mono and Poly unsaturated fat. The problem here is most of these foods are high in calories so if your not working out to counter that it will make you put on weight BUT you will see an increase in your HDL cholesterol. Watch out for hydrogenated vegetable oils (found in peanut butter, you should buy all natural). Alot of times vegetarians eat these manufactured foods that contain a bunch of these low value ingredients. One thing i found that I love is Promise butter. Its high in mono and poly unsatruated fat so its good to eat as much as you like! :yes:

2. SUGAR!! Cut that crap out!!! Its horrible!! Regular sugar and this stuff too .. (sucrose, glucose, fructose, maltose, dextrose, corn syrups, high-fructose corn syrup, concentrated fruit juice and honey)

3. Alcohol good!! Increases HDL and lowers LDL .. 1-2 glasses of red wine (or even beer) good for you a day. Remember 8 hours from the bottle to the throttle hahhah (had to throw that in)

4. Salt--- DONT ADD ANY!! and watch out for high sodium foods. Companys LOVE to add salt to their products to make them taste better. Which is why cooking your own food is better because you can control it.

5. If you are a vegitarian for reasons of health then hey thats great but you can enjoy Fish and check out Buffalo while your at it!! Higher in protien and lower in fat then chicken :)

Just a couple of tips
D

astanley said:
The upside of all of this, is that Micky D's and the associated crap food just doesn't taste good anymore. I feel like garbage if I eat it, too, which is as good as it can get to keep me from doing it again. Now, if someone can prevent me from eating too much barbecue.... :)

Cheers,

-Andrew

I could never stomach that stuff and what you are saying is likely why - when you are in good shape you KNOW how being in 'good shape' feels, and how it feels to eat something nasty and then feel bad afterwards. (as opposed to always eating crap and becoming inured to that ucky feeling).

Joe Williams said:

and congrats to you...

spiderweb said:
Joe, how did you do it?
snip

Since the beginning of the year our diet has changed quite a bit. We eat a lot more chicken, fish, turkey and pork, not quite as much red meat though I do enjoy a good cheeseburger on the weekends. Use the 90 or 92% meat for those. No fat cheese from Giant is pretty good, no fat gravy, no fat milk. Lots of the no fat stuff is much tastier than it used to be. We always treat ourselves to desert after meals... no fat ice cream (Edy's is quite tasty) or frozen yogurt. A couple scoops has fewer calories than we burn on the treadmill, and life isn't worth living without yummies :) Popscicles are good to, only 40 cal each and no fat. We eat lots more veggies. Work out 3 times a week at the gym for an hour or an hour and a half, however long it takes us. We use garlic powder instead of salt, and take fish oil capsules before working out. Egg beaters can be edible in some recipes, but I'm not a real fan. Usually take our chances with real eggs. We eat lots less than we used to, which surely helps.

Joe Williams said:
Since the beginning of the year our diet has changed quite a bit. We eat a lot more chicken, fish, turkey and pork, not quite as much red meat though I do enjoy a good cheeseburger on the weekends. Use the 90 or 92% meat for those. No fat cheese from Giant is pretty good, no fat gravy, no fat milk. Lots of the no fat stuff is much tastier than it used to be. We always treat ourselves to desert after meals... no fat ice cream (Edy's is quite tasty) or frozen yogurt. A couple scoops has fewer calories than we burn on the treadmill, and life isn't worth living without yummies :) Popscicles are good to, only 40 cal each and no fat. We eat lots more veggies. Work out 3 times a week at the gym for an hour or an hour and a half, however long it takes us. We use garlic powder instead of salt, and take fish oil capsules before working out. Egg beaters can be edible in some recipes, but I'm not a real fan. Usually take our chances with real eggs. We eat lots less than we used to, which surely helps.

I cheated

I just take Lipitor, 210 to 155.

Thanks for that detailed response!

Darrell111 said:
Im not a nutritionist but i am a personal trainer (part time) but i do have some nutritionist i doconsult for clients and even my own father. Here are some things that i have researched and been told that help greatly.

1. Eat LOTS of foods that are high in Mono and Poly unsaturated fat. The problem here is most of these foods are high in calories so if your not working out to counter that it will make you put on weight BUT you will see an increase in your HDL cholesterol. Watch out for hydrogenated vegetable oils (found in peanut butter, you should buy all natural). Alot of times vegetarians eat these manufactured foods that contain a bunch of these low value ingredients. One thing i found that I love is Promise butter. Its high in mono and poly unsatruated fat so its good to eat as much as you like! :yes:

2. SUGAR!! Cut that crap out!!! Its horrible!! Regular sugar and this stuff too .. (sucrose, glucose, fructose, maltose, dextrose, corn syrups, high-fructose corn syrup, concentrated fruit juice and honey)

3. Alcohol good!! Increases HDL and lowers LDL .. 1-2 glasses of red wine (or even beer) good for you a day. Remember 8 hours from the bottle to the throttle hahhah (had to throw that in)

4. Salt--- DONT ADD ANY!! and watch out for high sodium foods. Companys LOVE to add salt to their products to make them taste better. Which is why cooking your own food is better because you can control it.

5. If you are a vegitarian for reasons of health then hey thats great but you can enjoy Fish and check out Buffalo while your at it!! Higher in protien and lower in fat then chicken :)

Just a couple of tips
D

Joe Williams said:

Thanks, Joe!

corjulo said:
I cheated

I just take Lipitor, 210 to 155.

Me, too. Don't remember the numbers, but 40 mg a day dropped me from higher than that to lower than where you are. Now to get the HDL up to where it should be...

All right, go figure:
My weight: 165 +/-3 for the last 30 years.
BP: 110/75 20 years ago, 125-130/80 now
My cholesteral as of last Saturday: 139 ldl, 33 hdl, Triglycerides 204.

It was checked after admission for severe angina. Two stents installed yesterday. No flying for at least 6 months.

The Old Man said:
It was checked after admission for severe angina. Two stents installed yesterday. No flying for at least 6 months.

Glad they found it and got you taken care of Bo - I'm sure you can catch rides with Dave and others to stay in the air. Take care!

woodstock said:
I could never stomach that stuff and what you are saying is likely why - when you are in good shape you KNOW how being in 'good shape' feels, and how it feels to eat something nasty and then feel bad afterwards. (as opposed to always eating crap and becoming inured to that ucky feeling).

EXACTLY!!!

When you start to treat your body like a machine (keep it well oiled), you can feel the difference from head to toe based on what you eat (this does not keep me from certain, once in a while indulgences, such as calves liver and other horrifically bad things). I've picked up on a South American grain called quinoa (keen-wah) that is like brown rice + soy, but with a good flavor (almost broccoli / sprouts like) and a complete protien / amino acid profile. It just tastes good, and I feel good after eating it.

Whole grains, clean protiens, a healthy amount of good fats, no garbage sugar (except for lots of maltodextrin in my performance products), and cut out the heavily modified products (no more peanut butter, but now eat a lot of almond butter, etc). I feel good and my body can actually perform.

One thing that is surprising is that I do generally eat what most people would consider "bad" stuff post a hard effort - lots of high glycemic index foods - because it starts the insulin response and kicks recovery into overdrive. I can do back to back metrics without any cramping, which is pretty cool.

I will say this, I do miss certain bad foods (fried chicken, for one) because I just cut them out completely. But, when I crest the top of a 1k' climb in 44x18, on the hoods and my thighs on fire... DAMN it feels good! :)

Cheers,

-Andrew

Last edited:
woodstock said:

Ugh. Know what you mean. I feel guilty even when I don't have any reason to.

Back