Chipmunks Eating Sunflower Seeds

Nice cinematography and character development, but the plot's a little thin. Maybe a sequel?

The snakes would like to do a project with the chipmunks, but the chipmunks want no part of it. I'm still working on the skunks.

Rich

My dad had reached an accommodation with the family of skunks that lived under the deck at his place in southern Oregon. They got cat food, and he got protection.
In our little rented place in rural OK many years ago, we had a problem with some raccoons tearing open our trash bags and scattering garbage all over the porch and yard. One evening I hear the little SOBs out there rummaging around, picked up the 20 ga. pump and opened up the back door. Pepe LePew looked up at me with a look of mild curiosity.

Pepe: Yes? I'm eating these chicken bones.
Me: Nuthin', pal, just making sure you're not disturbed. Bon apetit.

You know, just as well. that shotgun would have made a real mess out of a 'coon at that range.

My dad had reached an accommodation with the family of skunks that lived under the deck at his place in southern Oregon. They got cat food, and he got protection.

I have a family living under the porch. I give them treats once in a while, but don't feed them regularly. Sometimes they come up on the porch and hang out with me.

The only things you really have to bear in mind with skunks are that they do get rabies from time to time, so unless you've been inoculated you probably don't want to touch them or let them drool on you; and they have rather poor vision, so you have to make sure they see you and recognize you before interacting with them (especially of you're downwind). They become comfortable with people they encounter often, but that doesn't necessarily help if they don't recognize you.

It's amazing how quickly some wild animals (especially skunks, chipmunks, and foxes) befriend humans. With skunks and foxes, one feeding will usually do it. With chipmunks, two or three. The first chipmunk in the video will sit at my feet and beg if I sit on the steps.

Others, like cats, not so much. I've been feeding a feral tomcat on occasion for six years, and he still keeps his distance. He knows I'm the guy who feeds him because he waits at a distance until I put the food down. But he won't get closer than 20 or 30 feet.

Rich

Back