Chinese Wall, Montana

Jim Logajan

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Anyone ever flown along Chinese Wall, Montana?

Came across this video and did a little research locating it on a map:

http://vimeo.com/56388260

Not sure if they were entirely legal (2k agl, cause the area appears to be national park), but sure looks like someplace I should check out someday.

Pretty darn KOOL....:yes:

I never knew that formation existed.. Mother nature can be quite impressive... And it only her about 4 million years to create it..:yes::)

Anyone ever flown along Chinese Wall, Montana?

Not sure if they were entirely legal (2k agl, cause the area appears to be national park), but sure looks like someplace I should check out someday.

It's legal.

Nice video :yes:
I've flown along it quite a few times, it's a pretty cool spot, as is the rest of the Bob Marshall Wilderness Complex that surrounds it. The wilderness (not a national park) combined with the roadless area surrounding the wilderness totals almost 4,000 square miles, so it's a pretty large area. It is only "requested" that one maintains 2,000 AGL.

Last edited:
It's legal.

I just assumed that anything that looks that fun can't be legal.

Nice video :yes:
I've flown along it quite a few times, it's a pretty cool spot, as is the rest of the Bob Marshall Wilderness Complex that surrounds it. The wilderness (not a national park) combined with the roadless area surrounding the wilderness totals almost 4,000 square miles, so it's a pretty large area. It is only "requested" that one maintains 2,000 AGL.

Nice photos!

To save some searching effort for the curious, Salt Mountain in Montana is along the escarpment and may be easier to locate on some maps (or not.) The escarpment seems to include Haystack Mountain near the south end to Larch Hill at the north. Google Terrain map:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Chin...05,0.198269&t=p&gl=us&hnear=Chinese+Wall&z=12

Some locals say it goes underground at one point and resurfaces on the other side of the earth in China.

Last edited:
The Rockies have plenty of those types of formations.

This is between Casper and Pocatello taken at 14,300' in the F-24.

Attachments

• The Big Red One 052.jpg
    The Big Red One 052.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 39
  • The Big Red One 048.jpg
    The Big Red One 048.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 35
The first time I flew by the Chinese Wall, I must have hit the altitude just right because it looked just like the Great Wall of China winding through the middle of the Rockies. On the sectional it is the ridge that has "Continental Divide" typed over it. Just to the North along the river out of Spotted Bear (8U4), is another cool rock formation called Gunsight. If you fly the right altitude, it is obvious how it got its name.

Attachments

• NoExpos 532The Chinese Wall.jpg
    NoExpos 532The Chinese Wall.jpg
    845 KB · Views: 32
  • NoExpos 534The Chinese Wall.jpg
    NoExpos 534The Chinese Wall.jpg
    831 KB · Views: 24
  • NoExpos 531Gunsight.jpg
    NoExpos 531Gunsight.jpg
    875.2 KB · Views: 25

Vimeo (for me, anyway) suddenly seems to have some issues loading that video page; fortunately the same video is on Youtube:

The first time I flew by the Chinese Wall, I must have hit the altitude just right because it looked just like the Great Wall of China winding through the middle of the Rockies. On the sectional it is the ridge that has "Continental Divide" typed over it. Just to the North along the river out of Spotted Bear (8U4), is another cool rock formation called Gunsight. If you fly the right altitude, it is obvious how it got its name.

Nice photos! It took me a while longer than I expected to locate the escarpment on a sectional by trying to cross-check against a USGS survey map that showed its location by name. I should have noted a latitude/longitude point on the escarpment on the survey and locate it on the sectional, but I thought it wouldn't be that hard to locate by comparison with surrounding landmarks.

I just sing... "sail" to myself watching it....
But yes, gorgeous! I wanna go do it in a lear 24! Lol

Vimeo (for me, anyway) suddenly seems to have some issues loading that video page; fortunately the same video is on Youtube:

I like the shadow of the two airplanes on the rock face, visible at about 1:14 into the video.

Last edited:
That looks like it could make for some awesome ridge soaring...

Can you imagine the forces of nature that were required to create such a geologic formation? Who's fault was that??? har har har...

Can you imagine the forces of nature that were required to create such a geologic formation? Who's fault was that??? har har har...

Geez... It was Bush's fault.....:D;)

Last edited:
I've always wanted to fly "Going to the Sun Road" through Glacier, over the Garden Wall.

I've always wanted to fly "Going to the Sun Road" through Glacier, over the Garden Wall.

If you're ever at the visitors center at logan pass, look in the distance behind it, there is a HUGE Couloir, me and my buddy spent the day, the first day the road opened (I remember it well, it was the day Michael Jackson died) climbing that sucker and skiing out of it. As far as flying it, after the downdrafts I've experienced in the area, I recommend a plane that will keep you at 2000' AGL.

Back