"China's Wings" - the most famous airline you never heard of

Jim Logajan

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
The book "China's Wings" by Gregory Crouch took years to research and write and was published 5 days ago at the time I write this. The Amazon web site gives the necessary background on the subject of the book; I'll stick to my general impressions:

I had heard of the famous airlift "over the hump" to supply the Chinese during WWII, and knew some of the history of China that Crouch covers. But I had never heard of the China National Aviation Corporation (CNAC,) nor their remarkable feats and exploits. Most of all, I had never hear of William Langhorne Bond, the center of the story - its pillar in more than one sense - and his uncommon character. Uncommon because he comes across as having the kind of personal integrity and self-control in an executive that should be more common.

The book recounts some amazing stories of flying, but the bulk of it covers a lot of the things on the ground, lots of interesting history of an era that shaped modern China, so those looking for an aviation read concentrating on the flight deck might not like it.

But then they'd miss the aviation stories - like that of the DC-2½.

The book is a historical text that reads like a novel, with a distinct beginning, middle, and end. Characters grow - but many die.

I enjoyed the book. I learned more about an era of China and aviation history that I had not known before. While I did know the broad history of China being pushed around by western powers and Japan leading up to the 1930's, Crouch summarizes the history for the reader to set the stage.

I read the book on my iPad 2 - and one nice thing about reading on such a device is switching to a browser to look things up, and to read articles on Wikipedia to get a better grasp of the details of events and personalities mentioned in the story.

One note on the Kindle version: the "end" of the story happens 70% into the electronic version. The last 30% contains photos, bibliography, and notes that seem intended to corroborate every third sentence. The author is a historian by training, so this level of supporting detail is standard stuff for them.

Dear Jim,

Forgive me for jumping in if my presence is going to stifle conversation on this topic. If asked, I'll disappear, promise, but a google alert I'd established for China's Wings found your post this morning.

I'm very gratified that you've read and enjoyed China's Wings, and I absolutely agree with your observation about William Bond -- the success of his entire career with CNAC and Pan Am was based on the strength of his character. The world would be a better place if more executives conducted themselves with such integrity.

The best part about writing the book was the long research process -- reading widely on China, pouring over letters written back in the 30s and 40s, and interviewing CNAC veterans, notably Moon Chin. Moon had a phenomenal flying career, and he's an extraordinarily kind and generous man who will celebrate his 99th birthday in April. Putting the finished copy of China's Wings into his hands was one of the great moments of my life. I had to trim his story down in the final copy of the book in order to maintain it's "narrative momentum", but I've posted a lot of Moon Chin related material on my website, at www.gregcrouch.com. Here's the start of a string of posts related to him, best followed by starting at my "All Roads Led to Moon Chin" post and clicking your way forward in time.

Another thing that both surprised and compelled me about the story was the dodgy, shady nature of the international aircraft business -- there were some serious shenanigans perpetrated in the name of acquiring aircraft! Not all of which found their way into the book.

Also, I've got a "China's Wings" Facebook page going with a photo album of 60 CNAC-related pictures. I'm trying to add one photo to it every day (or thereabouts), a pace I can maintain for a long, long time. Anybody is welcome to "like" it and see what I've posted.

And again, Jim, if you or any of the other regular members of the book club find my presence to be stifling of your conversation, please just say so and I'll fly off into the sunset.

Thanks again,

Greg

This should be interesting. I have not read the book personally but have gotten really good and interesting remarks from the people who have read the whole book.

It sure would be nice to be able to learn amore about what had happened to them during the WWII. But considering the level of damage control they have put out to cover all loose holes, I would likely think that there is something quite dear to it.

Bumping this thread because I just finished this book and I remembered that someone had posted about it months ago. I didn't realize the author had also posted here. Then I saw that his post was still under moderation because it had links, so no one but the MC was able to see it. I'll apologize for us here at POA for seemingly ignoring your post Greg.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed this book. I knew about pilots flying "The Hump" during WWII but I never realized that it was pioneered by CNAC. This book covers a lot of territory and has many interesting stories which would have made a book in themselves.

William Langhorne Bond's extraordinary effort to construct an airline when China was at war with a merciless adversary (Japan), and the entire business and political environment was rife with corruption and deceit, air travel was primitive and piloting, navigation and weather forecasting was a black art is carefully explained in Crouch's very fine book. Compared to the present era of self-serving, obscenely-overpaid executives, Bond is the very picture of integrity. Pilots of all stripes will enjoy it, but it's really a story about the one man's iron will. Took me a while to read it, but found it well-researched and thoroughly enjoyable. Give it a look.

One of my in-laws flew those trips, before flying left seat for the majors, American I think. He's gone (as so many are) but I enjoyed listening to his stories.

Back