China National Aviation Museum

ErikU

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ErikU
As you may know, I have been in Beijing for a while for the Olympics.
I visited the China National Aviation Museum today...
I had the hotel call the museum and write down the directions in chinese for may cab driver. No one has heard of this place before (and they couldn't understand why I would possibly want to go). I took a cab for a good 45 minutes out past the suburbs of Beijing. The driver had to stop to ask for directions a few times, but we eventually made it.
I was surprised when we arrived, it did not look like a museum. It looked more like a scrap yard, or perhaps an abandoned farm from the outside. Though my driver didn't speak a word of english, he insisted that he would wait for me outside to take me back when I was done, which was nice.
The guard had to round up someone to let me inside. It's a very large museum with multiple indoor and outdoor exhibit areas, but no patrons. There were perhaps two other people in the museum, and the couple employees I saw were sleeping on tables. By our standards, the whole place was a mess and falling apart. It reminded me of the lemay car museum before they started fixing it up. I assume it is run by the government and poorly funded. Quite a difference from the main tourist attractions around here!
The main hangar is in a massive tunnel dug out from the side of a mountain. It was a military installation until it was turned into a museum. The tunnel goes in one side of a mountain and out the other. Much of the lighting and exhibits were not working, so it was hard to take pictures. I wanted to take some pictures of the mess and decay, but I felt bad about it, so I didn't.
There was also an outdoor area for RC flying, but no one was there.
It was a great experience and a fun opportunity to see a place I would have never even thought about.
Pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/erik.utter/ChinaNationalAviationMuseum?authkey=rZpJUCgcFrE
Here are my other Beijing pics so far:
http://picasaweb.google.com/erik.utter/Beijing?authkey=PFJThZtbNQU

Cool, I'll have to check that one out. In the downtown area on Jianguomen wei, just a little west of Tianeman Square there is the museum for the PLA and the revolution. There are some planes in there, mostly P51s with Chinese markings, that were used in the 'great struggle'

Post the directions to the place if you can!

I heard about the revolution museum and will have to check that out too!

I don't have the address in english, but the best bet is to grab a taxi, call the museum, and pass the phone off to the driver. Probably about $140 RMB from where you are. Tel: 6178-488.

It's just off the 6th ring road directly north of beijing.

I believe the F104 was donated by the italians.

Cool Photos. Just wondering what was the story behind the F-104 in this pic?
http://picasaweb.google.com/erik.ut...photo?authkey=rZpJUCgcFrE#5236189276172292434
Erik will have to answer that one. But in my visits to Chinese musuems they are real big on showing captured from the enemy materials and them bragging how the superior Chinese Army (PLA) beat the imperialist running dogs. The museum I mentioned above had a huge section on the Korean war with lots of captured US equipment and pictures of US and UN POWs.

Cool! Thanks for posting that. The pictures of Beijing were interesting too.

Back