China Airlines goes down with 132 souls on board

During a meeting that was way, way too boring, I gave this some thought. The obvious answer is simple. With two pilots, one of which may be nuts and a murderer, it's not possible to know in advance which one is bad. It's not possible to design a safety override that couldn't be disabled by the other pilot. So you need three pilots. Set it up like airbus, with software sticks, and 2 of the 3 win. But this won't work for a number of reasons, mostly because it's too expensive. But....if the 3rd pilot is a computer, then it would work. For this to happen, the airplane has to be capable of autonomous flight. We're not that far off from that. If both pilots agree that the computer is nuts, then they can take over. If only one pilot agrees with the computer, then the computer wins. Added bonus? Training would be hilarious, in my estimation.

During a meeting that was way, way too boring, I gave this some thought. The obvious answer is simple. With two pilots, one of which may be nuts and a murderer, it's not possible to know in advance which one is bad. It's not possible to design a safety override that couldn't be disabled by the other pilot. So you need three pilots. Set it up like airbus, with software sticks, and 2 of the 3 win. But this won't work for a number of reasons, mostly because it's too expensive. But....if the 3rd pilot is a computer, then it would work. For this to happen, the airplane has to be capable of autonomous flight. We're not that far off from that. If both pilots agree that the computer is nuts, then they can take over. If only one pilot agrees with the computer, then the computer wins. Added bonus? Training would be hilarious, in my estimation.
"Open the pod bay door, Hal."
"I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave..."

Back