Chile Recipes

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Jay and I were talking chile in another thread and that got me thinking about chile recipes.

With the exception of EdFred, who probably just opens a can of Hormel and heats it in the microwave next to his Spaghetti O's ;), what are your favorite chile recipes?

Here are two of mine.

First is a New Mexico favorite of mine, Green chile stew. It is a lot different than the tex-mex type of chile but it is more tasty.

1 1/2 pounds pork butt, cut in 1-inch cubes
1 1/2 cups diced onion
1 tablespoon minced garlic
6 cups chicken
1 pound red potatoes, cut in cubes
salt, to taste
3 cups roasted, peeled, chopped green chile
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, to taste

and maybe some other spices as the mood strikes me.

Heat the oil in a 6-quart pot over high heat and brown the meat in
batches.

Set aside.

In the same oil, saute the onions until golden.

Add the garlic and saute 1 minute. Return the meat to the pan along
with any juices that may have accumulated.

Add the broth, potatoes, salt and bring to a boil.

Reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender.

Add the green chile, cook 15 to 20 minutes more.

Add the cilantro, stir and serve.
My other recipe is a Tex-Mex style of chile

2 onions
1 green chile (or a can of the chopped variety)
salt and pepper
1lb ground sirloin or turkey
1 large can of Brook's chile beans
1 12oz can of pinto beans
2-3 cans of diced tomatoes
1 small can of tomatoe paste
chile powder and ground cumin to taste
Ground red pepper flakes and cayen pepper to taste

Sweat the onions in your large stew pot with salt and pepper

Add green chiles, ground meat, and some chile powder. Cook and drain liquid. If using turkey you will need a lot more spice!

Add everything else and start simmering, low heat and longer the better, cook covered.

After about a 1/2 hour start adding your spices to taste.

You're talking my language:

Take a Turkey Carcass, preferably from Thanksgiving, about 6 months later (kept frozen).

1 bag of green chile, prebagged by you, after having it roasted at one of the local farmer's markets. If you're not in New Mexico, I guess Hatch'll work, but only as a last resort.
1 tbsp of minced garlic
A few handfuls of those mini potato thingies...the whole potato, not cubed/sliced/deskinned, the whole thing

First step is to heat the meat on the bone in water, until the meat is ready to just fall right off, at which point, you've got the beginnings of broth and meat to go with it. Then separate the turkey from the bone, remove the carcass from the pan, letting it drip into the crockpot for approximately 30 minutes. This gets a good, strong turkey flavor going. Then add the green chile to the crock pot and the broth with the mini-potato thingies.

Season the turkey with pepper and some salt and rub it in really well. Then drop the turkey into the crock pot and let go for a few hours...usually a good 4-5 hours is fine.

When it is done, serve with cornbread and milk to chill the burn from the green chile. Mmm...mmmm....god, that makes me want to bust out my carcass.

That is my Green Chile Turkey Stew...which is more soupy than stew, but its still stewed. For my Chili recipe (notice the difference in spelling....Chili is the meat/beans stuff), you'll have to murder me or hack my computer to get the recipe. But suffice to say, Texas has nothing on Nick Chili.

Mmmmm, Chili

2# ground venison
1 sweet onion (Vidalia preferred)
A couple peppers of choice (mild or hot)
1 can stewed tomatoes
2 cans Rotel (one hot, one mild)
1 can tomato paste
1 can tomato sauce
1 can beans (if you must)
Bring liquid level to desired consistency with a dark beer
Chili spices to suit your tongue and taste

Brown ground venison and set aside. Saute onion and peppers and set aside. Combine all ingredients in a crock pot and set on low for 6 hours.

Enjoy!

Nick, why does it need to be six months old?

For me, its preference. Thanksgiving rules the winter for turkey. Nothing beats a great green chile turkey stew in the middle of summer. You could, theoretically, do it the day after Thanksgiving, but it'd be a waste of great taste that close to the holiday :D

Chile recipe:

Take one long country, place on western edge of continent. Add various militaristic divergent groups, simmer.

Stir the pot, bring to boil.

Oh wait, you meant chili...never mind

Chile recipe:

Take one long country, place on western edge of continent. Add various militaristic divergent groups, simmer.

Stir the pot, bring to boil.

Oh wait, you meant chili...never mind
Yeah. Grumble. The word is "chili". Unmodified and alone, it means a spicy meat dish. The peppers are not "chilis", they're "chili peppers". Geez.

Now get off my lawn.

With the exception of EdFred, who probably just opens a can of Hormel and heats it in the microwave next to his Spaghetti O's ;), what are your favorite chile recipes?

I can honestly say the only canned anything I've ever had in my house is cream of chicken soup, chicken noodle, chicken with rice, pineapples, mandarin oranges, mushrooms, stewed tomatoes, and Manwich.

I don't eat meals in a can, and the only cooking in the microwave I have ever done, is soup when sick.

Yeah. Grumble. The word is "chili". Unmodified and alone, it means a spicy meat dish. The peppers are not "chilis", they're "chili peppers". Geez.

Now get off my lawn.
Thought that would get a rise out of you!!!:blowingkisses:

Any recipes Jay? you already copped to the Hormel out of can, can you redeem yourself in the chili recipe challenge??? ;) ;)

Last edited:

Now get off my lawn.

Unless you are in the UK, and then they are chilli peppers.

I don't have a recipe. It's different every time. Start with ground beef. Add venison sausage if I have any left and go from there.

It's like a mini-adventure every time. ;)

Hey you, get off of my cloud.

You know the difference between Mick Jagger and a Scotsman?

Jagger said, "Hey you, get off of my cloud"
and the Scotsman says, "Hey MacLoed get off of my ewe."

can you redeem yourself in the chili recipe challenge??? ;) ;)
Probably not. Purists will sniff at this one...but it's a good basic eating chili that doesn't need exotic ingredients, or indeed anything that you can't keep on the shelf:

1-1.5 pounds hamburger
One large, one small can tomato sauce
3 tablespoons dried onion flakes
2-3 tablespoons chili powder (to taste)
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 #300 cans chili beans (optional)
One large tomato sauce can of water

Brown hamburger meat and drain. Add remaining ingredients. Simmer at least 30 minutes; more is better, but not to the point the meat breaks down.

the green chile pepper is spelled chile. the meat concoction is chili. and the dictionary agrees with new mexico

Gotta have cinnamon... 5 WAY! ;) (beans are a must...)

I like Skyway, but calling it "chili" is blasphemy. Spaghetti, for $DEITY's sake!

I was taken to a place called Skyline Chili in Cincinnati by a coworker when I was there. I was served beef gravy with ground meat over noodles. You are right it is NOT chili. I didn't like it. Give me southwest style chili every time!

Oh Scott great Thread. I LOVE Chili. I have a few receipie books I use but to behonest I usually wing it mostly I'll use.

Ground beef or sometimes Turkey
green peppers
Onion
Onion powder
Chili powder
Cumin ( Love the stuff)
Cayanne pepper and /or Chipolte
Garlic
bottle of beer ( maybe or maybe not)
Tomato Sauce
Tomato Paste
Kidney Beans
White beans ( cannoli beans I think)
beef stock

Beleive it or not I have made chili with peanut butter in it too

I once used Okra in Chili and absolutly hated it.

We just had a blizzard come through. I wonder if I can make it to the grocery store.

White Bean Chipotle Chili

4 TBS salted butter, melted on low heat.

Add: one diced small onion, 2 TBS minced garlic. Stir, bring to medium heat and saute until garlic is golden brown.

Add: a pound or so of ground beef, a pound or so of sweet Italian sausage. Brown

Add: 2 tsp cumin, stir in and cook another minute or two.

Slice and add: 11oz can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce ***Warning*** - this stuff is HOT, use gloves or tongs. (I've used 1/2 can on some occasions. Different brands have different heat levels. I usually use San Marcos)

Add: 28oz can diced tomatoes

Drain and add: 15oz can white beans

Cover and simmer about an hour. Remove from heat and refrigerate overnight. Scrape off all the hardened fat from the top, reheat, add salt to taste.

I once used Okra in Chili and absolutly hated it.

Ouch. Okra should only be used as an 'ingredient' in one case - gumbo.

Other than that, it should remain either: fried, boiled, or pickled. :yes:

Ouch. Okra should only be used as an 'ingredient' in one case - gumbo.

Other than that, it should remain either: fried, boiled, or pickled. :yes:

It's a must-have in Brunswick stew! That, and lima beans. Luckily, no Brussels sprouts, though...

Trapper John

I like Skyway, but calling it "chili" is blasphemy. Spaghetti, for $DEITY's sake! :frown2: :eek: :yikes: :hairraise: :loco: :dunno:

I was taken to a place called Skyline Chili in Cincinnati by a coworker when I was there. I was served beef gravy with ground meat over noodles. You are right it is NOT chili. I didn't like it. Give me southwest style chili every time!

This phenomenon seems to stretch in a belt from central Ohio down through northern Kentucky and Southern Illinois. I grew up eating that as "chili" until I was edumucated better. Let me just say that it was a habit I quickly grew out of :D

This phenomenon seems to stretch in a belt from central Ohio down through northern Kentucky and Southern Illinois. I grew up eating that as "chili" until I was edumucated better. Let me just say that it was a habit I quickly grew out of :D

My coworker seemed to think it was a German thing, but I don't know.

Back