Childhood diagnosis

B

Buddy

Hello I'm trying to get at least a second class medical but kinda concerned about one thing. I had a diagnosis of anxiety 14 years ago when I was 11 due to a baker act incident. Do I have to disclose this? I've never actually been treated for it as it was literally just a one off in my life.

Hello I'm trying to get at least a second class medical but kinda concerned about one thing. I had a diagnosis of anxiety 14 years ago when I was 11 due to a baker act incident. Do I have to disclose this? I've never actually been treated for it as it was literally just a one off in my life.

Here’s what the form says:

18. Medical History - HAVE YOU EVER IN YOUR LIFE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH, HAD, OR DO YOU PRESENTLY HAVE ANY OF THE FOLLOWING? Answer “yes” or “no” for every condition listed below. In the EXPLANATIONS box below, you may note ‘PREVIOUSLY REPORTED, NO CHANGE” only if the explanation of the condition
was reported on a previous application for an airman medical certificate and there has been no change in your condition.
m.
Mental disorders of any sort; depression, anxiety, etc.

Seems pretty clear to me. Were you alive when you were diagnosed with anxiety? If so, it falls under “...ever in your life...”

IOW, yes, you must disclose the diagnosis.

The Baker Act is serious stuff. That means imminent harm to self or to others. That is severe depression.

However, if you can document a ten year clear period- no meds, no incidents, successful life test as docuemnted by supervisors, employers, etc....the required FAA evaluation will go well.

I’m curious how you know what the diagnosis was. At age 11 you probably heard it from your parents, who probably aren’t doctors, and relayed what they heard or, more likely, translated it into easy to understand 11 year old speak.

of course, fill out everything accurately, but maybe get copies of the records first so you don’t shoot yourself in the foot

I’m curious how you know what the diagnosis was. At age 11 you probably heard it from your parents, who probably aren’t doctors, and relayed what they heard or, more likely, translated it into easy to understand 11 year old speak.

of course, fill out everything accurately, but maybe get copies of the records first so you don’t shoot yourself in the foot

So I actually did request the records when I began this process, which is when I found out about the diagnosis. I honestly would have never even known if I hadn't looked at the records. I'm honestly wondering if it's possible to have someone to i guess overturn the diagnosis? As an 11 year old a lot of the actions were just mimicking my friend group and wanting to fit in with them and all their issues. What a stupid choice that was

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back