Childhood depression/social anxiety/SSRIs, adult recreational pot use--path to 3rd class?

If it hasn't been clear in this thread, for this scenario, the cessation of usage is a permanent one.

No it hasn't been clear as your opening post said, "Fast forward to middle age, they are healthy, successful, have their **** together by all typical standards. Moved to a medical state, got a prescription, but continued using recreationally once legalized."

That indicates an intention to continue use as well as the question in the title of this thread i.e. "adult recreational pot use--path to 3rd class?"

The FAA would never consider allowing pot for pilots. If your intent is to admit the addiction (some claim it's not addictive but it can be psychologically addictive) and get real and proven clinical treatment then by all means ... welcome to the world of student pilots. If not then you should consider a nice flight simulator.

Or is the concern that *any* usage does permanent, irreparable biological harm physically rendering one unable to possess the focus to be a pilot ever for the rest of their life?

No. Studies show conflicting results whether pot causes permanent brain damage. Part of the problem is, it’s a chicken and egg thing. People who routinely use substances are often self-medicating an already existing disorder. You said:

“…diagnosed w/ depression and social anxiety as a teenager because...nerdy teenager having a hard time fitting in. ….But issues went away, and meds were stopped in HS.

“Fast forward to middle age, they are healthy, successful, have their **** together by all typical standards. Moved to a medical state, got a prescription, but continued using recreationally once legalized.”

So you took meds as a teen for depression and social anxiety. Then in middle age you “continued” using recreationally along with having gotten a medical prescription. It is unclear from this whether all the intervening years in between you were not using anything at all, or whether you were self medicating with marijuana, which is understandable why you wouldn’t and shouldn’t admit that outright on a forum that can be traced to your identity.

Referring to the situation as hypothetical will not help you in a legal investigation. The truth as I put it together is that you continued to have issues all along but learned coping mechanisms as you reached adulthood, felt better, quit the pills, but took up pot and possibly other substances that kept you “healthy, successful and having your **** together”, or at least allowed you to convince yourself of that. Just because you can hold down a job and make a lot of money doesn’t necessarily mean you are free of depression. The FAA doesn’t care if you commit suicide, they just don’t want you doing it by airplane.

You are sidestepping the question of just how much and how long you’ve been using substances whether legally prescribed or not. And a public forum is not the place to lay that all out. But if you consult Bruce, I advise being completely truthful with him in private.

Fair enough, I appreciate the perspective. I think that highlights why I had hoped this thread would focus on process. It seems from the insights shared, there is a process to (potentially) convince the medical professionals charged with ensuring the safety of others in accordance with the law and FAA guidelines that a person in this scenario is sufficiently safe to fly. Presumably this process has components to take *mere* personal promises out of the picture, and instead rely on measures like objective 3rd party assessments, random drug screens, etc. to verify independently.

So if I'm reading all of this correctly, the concerns, while justified, seem like they do have a potential path forward for verifying the airworthiness of the prospective pilot for those committed to what this entails.

What condition were you diagnosed with to obtain the medical marijuana card?

I'm not sure why there's an assumption that any flight while under the influence (or even having it in the system) would take place in the scenario hypothesized. It seems like there may be a 2yr journey here at a minimum to get clear for 18N--is that enough time sober to make someone safe to you? Or is the concern that *any* usage does permanent, irreparable biological harm physically rendering one unable to possess the focus to be a pilot ever for the rest of their life? If the FAA granted a 3rd class medical to someone in this scenario, would you then consider them safe enough?

If it hasn't been clear in this thread, for this scenario, the cessation of usage is a permanent one.
Don’t take it personally. It’s been discussed here a lot prior to your arrival and reading comprehension seems to be a rare talent these days (guilty myself at times).

Email Dr. B and retain his services. See what he says. While this thread may seem helpful it’s really just a waste of your time.

Email Dr. B and retain his services. See what he says. While this thread may seem helpful it’s really just a waste of your time.

I agree. A conversation with the random folk of PoA might be informational, but if Ducks wants to get busy and make the dream into reality, getting started with Doc Bruce needs to happen.

You’ll never reach the summit of a mountain just sitting at base camp looking at and talking about it. You need to strap on the climbing gear and get going.

Moved to a medical state, got a prescription, but continued using recreationally once legalized.”

This sounds to me like he bamboozled a doc, or found a quack, in order to get a “medical” marijuana card that enabled him to use pot recreationally. That would amount to committing fraud in order to sustain a drug habit, and that does not bode well.

Perhaps I’m misreading?

This sounds to me like he bamboozled a doc, or found a quack, in order to get a “medical” marijuana card that enabled him to use pot recreationally. That would amount to committing fraud in order to sustain a drug habit, and that does not bode well.

Perhaps I’m misreading?

In my state that legalized medical marijuana, drive by clinics opened up all over the place with quack doctors that handed out medical marijuana cards like candy. Really not that an unusual situation whatsoever.

In my state that legalized medical marijuana, drive by clinics opened up all over the place with quack doctors that handed out medical marijuana cards like candy. Really not that an unusual situation whatsoever.

No surprise.

My point is that if he obtained the card but he didn’t truly have a qualifying malady, he committed a fraudulent act to further a drug habit. The FAA may see that as an extra negative factor.

Welcome to Colorado. I shudder to think what happens when it becomes Federally approved.

State law has no bearing on the 182 USC 922(g)(3) which bars you from possessing firearms or ammunition if you are an unlawful user of a controlled substance. As far as the feds are concerned there are no lawful uses of schedule I substances such as marijuana. They defer to the states for rights restoration after felony convictions, but not for this purpose.

MV5BYzI4NjNiM2EtOTQxYy00MzkwLTgwMzctYzU5OGZlYWIzN2UzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzI5MzExNDE@._V1_.jpg

I thought he didn't have his medical yet, so I guess I hope there's a CFI with him??? :D

Flying high ... Marijuana ... :dunno:

Remember the song "Taxi" by Harry Chapin? He used to go flying in his taxi ...

Perhaps I’m misreading?

In my observation, the best medical condition treated by a Medical Marijuana Card is that the patient likes to smoke pot.

I know three people who used marijuana for legitimate medical reasons. Two terminally ill cancer patients, and one quadriplegic. The pot helped all immensely and if I ever get one of those conditions you bet I’ll use whatever substance, legal or not, eases my pain.

Legalizing it for medical purposes was supposed to make it available for people like that. Unfortunately, legalizing it for medical but not recreational purposes creates this very situation, where “potheads” will find someone to approve their (headache, back pain, anxiety) condition so they can continue to use recreationally. It’s hard to prove fraud for stuff like that.

Most people can get away with it but the FAA is going to want to investigate whatever condition you claimed. Damned if you do and damned if you don’t. Can’t claim perfect health now if you’ve been treating some chronic condition all these years.

I know three people who used marijuana for legitimate medical reasons. Two terminally ill cancer patients, and one quadriplegic. The pot helped all immensely and if I ever get one of those conditions you bet I’ll use whatever substance, legal or not, eases my pain.

Legalizing it for medical purposes was supposed to make it available for people like that. Unfortunately, legalizing it for medical but not recreational purposes creates this very situation, where “potheads” will find someone to approve their (headache, back pain, anxiety) condition so they can continue to use recreationally. It’s hard to prove fraud for stuff like that.

Most people can get away with it but the FAA is going to want to investigate whatever condition you claimed. Damned if you do and damned if you don’t. Can’t claim perfect health now if you’ve been treating some chronic condition all these years.

It's legal in Massachusetts for recreational use, pretty much every where you go where there are people gathered you can smell it now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back