Child seat in C182

Marc CYBW

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Marc CYBW
Friends of ours want to bring along their 2 year old in a one hour sightseeing flight in our 182. We will only fly in good weather. Will an automotive child seat anchored into the back seat 3 point belt provide sufficient protection just in case?

Friends of ours want to bring along their 2 year old in a one hour sightseeing flight in our 182. We will only fly in good weather. Will an automotive child seat anchored into the back seat 3 point belt provide sufficient protection just in case?

Yes.

Some child-seats are specifically approved for aviation use, but that more to keep busybody flight attendants entertained.

And, Mary make sure that she doesn't have a cold or runny nose even... and that she will have something she can suck on (even at 2 like a toddle top) so that will help her ears clear as you're descending.

Oh dear, just reread the first post and see that your name is Marc ! Sorry about that?

So, have you gone on the flight yet? How did it go?

You certainly brought a smile to my face when I figured out the typo. We hope to go up this or next weekend. Plan is CYBW to CYBA and return. Thanks. Marc
p.s. How do you do that nifty little map?

Well, keep in mind they are certified for auto use only.

That being said, IMHO a good child seat strapped into the back is a lot better than:
1) being a lap child
2) being strapped in using the seat belts. They won't work.

So, don't sue me if the kid gets hurt, but I would do it and feel confident about it. But keep in mind I'm just some anonymous dope on the Internet.

You certainly brought a smile to my face when I figured out the typo. We hope to go up this or next weekend. Plan is CYBW to CYBA and return. Thanks. Marc
p.s. How do you do that nifty little map?

Hi Marc,

I'm not sure anymore how to do the map.... someone else here will chime in soon on it or you could just ask one of the older forum members via a PM.

J

I do it all the time. Just note that if it's a new 182, unfortunately the belt receiver is really stiff so it ends up wedged in the car seat, although my son never complains about it getting into his back or anything.

-Henri

Back