Child mobility

Henning

Taxi to Parking
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHenning
When I was a kid, all our moving toys had some form of pedals or human powered motive force. All our toy cars had pedals to crank shaft axles or a chain sprocket drive for the fast ones. There were a couple of battery ones on the market, but they were just in the catalogue, nobody ever heard of a kid that actually had one, they may as well have been unicorns.

Now all the kids run around the neighborhood in little battery powered plastic cars, and I'm trying to figure out why? :dunno:

Even just the slightest amount of daily exercise does wonders for health. I took my fitness for granted when my only mode of transportation was a bicycle.

There was a time when pagers were banned on school premises but now only losers don't have cell phones and tablets in the classroom. Scores in traditional subjects are down but Facebook and Vine proficiency are reaching new highs. :)

Now with the advances in brushless motor and LiPo battery technology, pedal-powered activities won't make a comeback until after the release of robotic exoskeletons.

Ah, however there is opportunity in the iPhone generation! All these devices require 1 thing, electricity. Their rate of consumption/recharge requirements are low enough that pedal stations (and even generators on bike wheels like we used to have for lights) that they keep their electronics charged by are possible.

If you make them charge their riding toy, they actually get more exercise than by pedaling directly. :lol:

Now all the kids run around the neighborhood in little battery powered plastic cars, and I'm trying to figure out why? :dunno:

It's an early training program to get them ready for driving the electric carts in WalMart.

BS. And don't blame the kids. They don't buy those cars, parents do. The kids I know who have those cars are very active. More so than any other kids I know. You do know that those toy cars are for very young kids, right? They grow out of those cars and want to go faster so they graduate to bicycles.

WALL-E-humans_320.jpg

Where's my popcorn?

It's an early training program to get them ready for driving the electric carts in WalMart.

BS. And don't blame the kids. They don't buy those cars, parents do. The kids I know who have those cars are very active. More so than any other kids I know. You do know that those toy cars are for very young kids, right? They grow out of those cars and want to go faster so they graduate to bicycles.

In my neighborhood I saw a number of those, and this was my experience, too. Other than the very little kids who pretty much go forward and reverse until they run into something, the others got their exercise by chasing the vehicles yelling about getting their turn. They were outside, running around, learning some form of social order, and did graduate to bicycles as soon as they could so they wouldn't have to share

I grew up in the country...my dream was to have a go-kart, and later a dirt-bike. That said, I put plenty of time in wandering around in the woods and riding my bike to my friends house miles away.

I remember having a pedal car (fire engine, I think). I remember it being used inside the house a lot, maybe on the driveway. I am pretty sure I had a tricycle. I know I had a bike with training wheels. Once those training wheels came off, that meant we thought we were old enough to go anywhere we wanted - so we did.

I grew up in the country...my dream was to have a go-kart, and later a dirt-bike. That said, I put plenty of time in wandering around in the woods and riding my bike to my friends house miles away.

I was getting ready to post the same thing. My father grew up with minibikes, go carts, and dirtbikes; as did I. I spent plenty of time on a bicycle or roller skates, in addition to the normal sports and outdoor exploring. Blaming a cheap electric scooter for the disdain for a younger generation is a bit ridiculous.

Because we have the technology, that's why. Kids want to imitate their parents by driving cars. The only difference between the pedal-car and the power wheels edition (which has been around since the 80's) is that they didn't have the ability to mass-produce a battery-powered toy like that back in 1950. If they did, the pedal-car wouldn't have existed long enough for you to try and make an example of.

I'm sure the guy who saw you as a kid thought why did they need a electric model train set, all I had was a wooden train set. These kids are so lazy . . .

My folks gave us kids a hard time - You kids have a Mr Potatohead. Back in our day we had to use real potatoes!

Because we have the technology, that's why. Kids want to imitate their parents by driving cars. The only difference between the pedal-car and the power wheels edition (which has been around since the 80's) is that they didn't have the ability to mass-produce a battery-powered toy like that back in 1950. If they did, the pedal-car wouldn't have existed long enough for you to try and make an example of.

I'm sure the guy who saw you as a kid thought why did they need a electric model train set, all I had was a wooden train set. These kids are so lazy . . .

Those battery-powered toy cars have been around longer than you think. But they were too expensive for any except the richest kids to own. Full-size electric vehicles aren't new, either. The guy who delivered the milk when I was a kid had one -- and it was already an antique back then!

What we did have were what we called "go karts," which were contraptions that we built with a couple of two-by-fours, wooden milk crates for the seats, and wheels that we appropriated from discarded baby carriages. They looked a lot like these ones:

old_fashioned_gokart2.jpg

The reasons we made our own were that we had no money, but we did have freedom. There were 1.2 bazillion of these karts rolling up and down the streets and sidewalks of Brooklyn at any given time, and no one so much as shrugged. It was something that kids did. We learned from it.

When a kart was built right, it really moved. It could develop quite a bit of speed by the time it got to the downhill end of the street, which would lead to another educational experience: It's really, really hard to stop a rolling go-kart with two kids on it when the go-kart has no brakes. That was how we learned about momentum. That lesson would immediately be followed by one in how quickly cobble stones can wear out sneaker soles when they're used in a desperate attempt to prevent your brake-less go kart from soaring into an intersection full of traffic.

Your generation has your tech and I'm glad you make the best use of it. But in all seriousness, I think my generation had a lot more fun.

Rich

Last edited:
My folks gave us kids a hard time - You kids have a Mr Potatohead. Back in our day we had to use real potatoes!

Your grandkids will give your kids a hard time. You kids have a Potatohead app. Back in our day we had to use a real Mr. Potatohead!

Well that's my point, we had pedal toys to develop pedaling strength and muscle coordination needed for bicycles. The electric cars are not doing them any real developmental favors. Of course I don't blame the kids, they're kids, they follow their influences.

Last edited:
Those battery-powered toy cars have been around longer than you think. But they were too expensive for any except the richest kids to own. Full-size electric vehicles aren't new, either. The guy who delivered the milk when I was a kid had one -- and it was already an antique back then!

What we did have were what we called "go karts," which were contraptions that we built with a couple of two-by-fours, wooden milk crates for the seats, and wheels that we appropriated from discarded baby carriages. They looked a lot like these ones:

The reasons we made our own were that we had no money, but we did have freedom. There were 1.2 bazillion of these karts rolling up and down the streets and sidewalks of Brooklyn at any given time, and no one so much as shrugged. It was something that kids did. We learned from it.

When a kart was built right, it really moved. It could develop quite a bit of speed by the time it got to the downhill end of the street, which would lead to another educational experience: It's really, really hard to stop a rolling go-kart with two kids on it when the go-kart has no brakes. That was how we learned about momentum. That lesson would immediately be followed by one in how quickly cobble stones can wear out sneaker soles when they're used in a desperate attempt to prevent your brake-less go kart from soaring into an intersection full of traffic.

Your generation has your tech and I'm glad you make the best use of it. But in all seriousness, I think my generation had a lot more fun.

Rich
:rofl::rofl::rofl: I lived at the top of the hill.;)

I understand the business side of producing them, I don't know why parents chose to buy them for their children.:dunno:

Rich

I wasn't implying that the tech of electric toys/vehicles wasn't available, just that it wasn't well enough developed to be mass-marketed at an affordable price. My generation did the same types of things yours did (I'm a late Gen x/early gen Y guy), so we didn't have cell phones growing up and Nintendo was the only video game console we had in our house. Kids just do different things today to "have fun", it'd be pretty hard to measure the level of "fun" had unless you can somehow quantify it. The only area I'm sure we'll agree on is that each generation of Americans seems to get ""softer" in terms of the type of lifestyle they'll accept; everyone gets offended over the smallest of things these days.

I understand the business side of producing them, I don't know why parents chose to buy them for their children.:dunno:

Best guess is they remember being a kid and longingly looking at them in the toy aisle. Suddenly they're the adult and they can easily afford them so they buy the toy they always wanted for their kid.

My solution would be to sit the kid down with me by the computer, do some research, buy some parts, and build one together in the garage.

I wasn't implying that the tech of electric toys/vehicles wasn't available, just that it wasn't well enough developed to be mass-marketed at an affordable price. My generation did the same types of things yours did (I'm a late Gen x/early gen Y guy), so we didn't have cell phones growing up and Nintendo was the only video game console we had in our house. Kids just do different things today to "have fun", it'd be pretty hard to measure the level of "fun" had unless you can somehow quantify it. The only area I'm sure we'll agree on is that each generation of Americans seems to get ""softer" in terms of the type of lifestyle they'll accept; everyone gets offended over the smallest of things these days.

That's why I question the parents' choice to not only perpetuate the issue, but further it as well. We complain about the result, yet we provide the cause. Doesn't make a bunch of sense.:dunno:

That kid on the left does NOT look like he's having fun.

And the one on the right looks like his fun is just about to end.

"Fear is Survivable" is the biggest lesson we must learn in childhood.

The facts of life that should be taught young:
Pain is only temporary, Blood washes off, & Chicks dig scars.

Rich

One rear wheel was always slightly bent, so you could tell you were really moving when the resonant frequency vibrated the whole shebang. Over time, then board you built it on cracked, so when you hit a bump just right, or wrong as the case may be, you got a good ass pinch. And if you were the youngest of three, you got plenty of exercise pushing your older brothers around.

Yeah, I had one too. And I agree with you about that fun thing.

No, you know you were really smoking when you drove out of the resonant frequency 10mph faster! :lol:
That was when you knew you were going fast enough what ever happened was going to hurt. :rofl:;)

No, you know you were really smoking when you drove out of the resonant frequency 10mph faster! :lol:
That was when you knew you were going fast enough what ever happened was going to hurt. :rofl:;)

heh - That's how you knew you were alive! Once your speed of whatever you were riding on, in, or behind reached the threshold of "If anything goes wrong now, it's going to hurt!"

Last edited:
My son loves racing (and watching his dad race). Therefore, I know I'll be getting him on the track at 5 when its safe to do so.

That said, it makes sense to get him something to drive now so he learns to control it. He also has a small bike and he pedals all the time. The answer is that cars are fun for kids. If you have to rely on their motion devices to get exercise you're a ****ty parent. My son uses the hell out of his trampoline and he runs everywhere. That's exercise.

One rear wheel was always slightly bent, so you could tell you were really moving when the resonant frequency vibrated the whole shebang. Over time, then board you built it on cracked, so when you hit a bump just right, or wrong as the case may be, you got a good ass pinch. And if you were the youngest of three, you got plenty of exercise pushing your older brothers around.

Yeah, I had one too. And I agree with you about that fun thing.

Yeah, it was a blast. There's nothing like unstructured, unsupervised time in which to build an adventure. Nothing like it at all.

Rich

"Fear is Survivable" is the biggest lesson we must learn in childhood.

The facts of life that should be taught young:
Pain is only temporary, Blood washes off, & Chicks dig scars.

That's really profound. I'll have to steal it. :yes:

Rich

heh - That's how you knew you were alive! Once your speed of whatever you were riding on, in, or behind reached the threshold of "If anything goes wrong now, it's going to gurt!"

Yep, once you got fast enough that things started stabiling themselves through gyroscopic forces, blood was inevitable and things were 'on'.:lol:

My son loves racing (and watching his dad race). Therefore, I know I'll be getting him on the track at 5 when its safe to do so.

That said, it makes sense to get him something to drive now so he learns to control it. He also has a small bike and he pedals all the time. The answer is that cars are fun for kids. If you have to rely on their motion devices to get exercise you're a ****ty parent. My son uses the hell out of his trampoline and he runs everywhere. That's exercise.

You can learn to drive something you pedal. Childhood is no different than flying. They are both processes of education, and education and development works best in the "building block" method. These battery powered toys do not go fast enough to teach anything that a pedal car does not. All a battery car does is provide instant gratification while bypassing experience that you should be learning from. When you have to apply energy manually, you learn how to minimize the energy required for a result,mit's a natural process, and there is direct transference of that knowledge and level of finesse when they have a throttle under their foot.

5 in a go cart is plenty young to introduce them to mechanical energy control, let them learn the finesse first, because without that finesse in primacy,mother are handicapped developing in the future and it's more difficult.

You can't rush childhood.

You can learn to drive something you pedal. Childhood is no different than flying. They are both processes of education, and education and development works best in the "building block" method. These battery powered toys do not go fast enough to teach anything that a pedal car does not. All a battery car does is provide instant gratification while bypassing experience that you should be learning from. When you have to apply energy manually, you learn how to minimize the energy required for a result,mit's a natural process, and there is direct transference of that knowledge and level of finesse when they have a throttle under their foot.

5 in a go cart is plenty young to introduce them to mechanical energy control, let them learn the finesse first, because without that finesse in primacy,mother are handicapped developing in the future and it's more difficult.

You can't rush childhood.

And if you use a chain drive and equip it with a derailleur, he can even learn about gear ratios. :yes:

Rich

Last edited:
Can't speak for the yuppie-parent hoard, but when our kids were small, having the cash to buy electric cars for the kids was a fantasy. When the grandkids came along, I got immense pleasure out of buying an electric John Deere "jeep" for our first grandchild. She was four and carefully put her Hello Kitty purse on her arm and drove it around to the neighbor's yard and picked up their five year old, so they could go on a 'driving date.'

We laughed till the tears ran down our faces.

Back