Chicago

ejensen

Pattern Altitude
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Eric Jensen
My wife got a pretty reasonable airfair to Chicago. She's never been there so we decided to go for a few nights. Staying at the downtown Hilton. Planning on the museums, aquarium, planetarium, etc.

Any suggestions on restaurants and evening activities? We'll be there 8/22-8/25.

My wife got a pretty reasonable airfair to Chicago. She's never been there so we decided to go for a few nights. Staying at the downtown Hilton. Planning on the museums, aquarium, planetarium, etc.

Any suggestions on restaurants and evening activities? We'll be there 8/22-8/25.

Dinner at Corcoran's Pub, then across the street for the show at Second City, then back to Corcoran's for a nightcap.

Haven't been in a few years, but if you like Thai food, Star of Siam is worth a stop. It's a couple of blocks west of Michigan Ave. on Illinois.
I'd do an architectural tour, too - lots of significant buildings there worth seeing in person.

I highly recommend Second City as well.

For restaurants there is so much out there but I'll give you the things that Chicago is known for.

Pizza: Lou Malnatis or Giordanos
Steak and/or Seafood: Joe's Stone Crab
Hotdog: Portillos

Go shed a few tears on the "island" that used to be Meigs.

If you have never been, take aride on the el around the loop. The architectural boat tour on the Chicago River is good

The Bean in Millenium Park always amazes me. The fountain there is pretty cool as well.

Cheers

West Hubbard Street has a nice row of bars and live music. My wife will be there the same weekend for a wedding.

You can't go to Chicago without going to Geno's East for pizza.
You also have to have a Vienna beef hot dog. Plenty of vendors on Navy Pier, IIRC, (also a HUGE ferris wheel, if you like that). If you are anywhere near a Portillo's, get the dog from there - and a chocolate cake shake to go with it.
At Museum of Science and Industry (was a member for 6 or 8 years), you've got to see the U-505. Most of the exhibit is free, there is a nominal charge to go inside the boat. There are also several aircraft on display, and in the same hall a steam engine, and the car with the land speed record (can't think of the name of it).
If you go to Brookfield Zoo (was a member 6-8 years), the primate house can't be missed, and more - depends on what animals you want to see. I can't think of the name of it, but the area where the penguins are is nice, and I used to sit downstairs and just relax watching the dolphins (which I used to be able to tell apart by name) at Seven Seas.
I've only been to Field Museum once as an adult, and nothing comes immediately to mind there.
Shedd Aquarium (Member 4 years), the dolphin show is good, and the Pacific Whitesided Dolphins are beautiful. The dolphin aquarium is such that it looks like it goes off into Lake Michigan. The beluga whales are relaxing to watch, and they have a few species of penguins. There is a big aquarium in the center on the entrance floor, and it's neat to watch all the different aquatic life there.

The Aquarium and the Science Museum are really good. You won't miss much skipping the Field House. But I think you can buy a pass that gets you in all of them.

The Aquarium and the Science Museum are really good. You won't miss much skipping the Field House. But I think you can buy a pass that gets you in all of them.
I'd agree.

Another note about MSI - it is the largest science museum in the western hemisphere.

If you'd asked me about 15 years ago, when I was working in the city as a paramedic........

One thing I learned as a paramedic... If you want to know where good food is in a big city, ask a paramedic. Hint: When you see emergency responders and one is fat, and the others aren't - the fat guy is the paramedic (or fire chief). :rofl:

Do we want to do a PoA dinner get-together while you and your wife are here? Last time we got together at Heaven on Seven. A good pizza joint would work too (the original Uno's or Due's, Gino's East, or Lou Malnati's are some of my favorites).

Museum of Science and Industry and/or the Field Museum.

The Architectural boat tour, or they have a walking tour, too.

I'd suggest Symphony Center, but there's no one playing while you're here, and the Chicago Jazz Festival isn't until the following weekend. The Chicago Jazz Showcase has Aug 22 2012 SAXOPHONIST MARK COLBY QUARTET 8PM AND 10PM $10/$5 STUDENTS AND MUSICIANS MARK COLBY
Aug 23 2012 - Aug 26 2012 IRA SULLIVAN QUARTET 8PM/10PM NIGTLY SUN. 4PM/8PM/10PM $20 IRA SULLIVAN

I recommend you pick a ethnic cuisine you have never tasted before, find a highly rated one on Yelp and grab a cab to get there. Try Ethiopian, Peruvian, Argentinian, Croatian, or many others. That is probably the most truly amazing thing about Chicago is the huge variety of restaurants that serve authentic recipes with native ingredients (you want Mexican? which county and city?). And for the more established styles, you get into the fusions and other twists that can be true culinary treats. Or, just crazy food at jaw-dropping prices, Alinea, L2O, Moto, Tru, Girl and Goat or Publican (one of my favorites).

If you are hungry in Chicago, you are doing something wrong. :)

We actually like the Field Museum. You can see the Hope Diamond. That being said, the Museum of Science and Industry is a must with the U-505.
If you are looking for a GA chow place, Pilot Pete's is great. If you head out that way and want conspirators, mention it here.

Do we want to do a PoA dinner get-together while you and your wife are here? Last time we got together at Heaven on Seven. A good pizza joint would work too (the original Uno's or Due's, Gino's East, or Lou Malnati's are some of my favorites).

Pizzeria Due or Lou Malnati's are the best, IMO. Not tourist traps either - the real deal.

For fun and nostalgia (depending on your age) go to the Billy Goat Tavern on lower Michigan Ave at Hubbard St. Order a cheeseburger, fries, and a Pepsi. :D Then belly up to the bar for Schlitz on tap.

For true Chicago hot dogs, while up on the north side (at Milwaukee and Devon) and not downtown, Superdawg is the only place to go: http://superdawg.com/

Thanks for all the suggestions. We have tickets for Second City will visit a couple of the restaurants.

Chicago isn't totally strange to me. It's been a long time but I have great memories when I was 80-14 or so. My grandparents lived in a brownstone walk-up apartment for over 40 years. I'd visit for a week or so every summer. Catching the EL at Logan Square and spending the day on the lakefront. They had to drag me out of the museums too. Science and Industry was my favorite. I also graduated from UIUC and have several Update friends. But it's been 40 years. My first plane ride as a DC3 to Chicago. Be nice to revisit.

Getting to gether with POAer is a great idea but we won't have time this trip. Getting to see some old school buds this time.

Saw, "So we're all in this room together" at 2nd City about a month ago. Still vintage improv that does not disappoint! Piper's Alley is now an inside access building but the two theaters have NOT changed......

Isn't there a "Tiffany's" in Chicago I'm sure your wife would like to window shop. :)

Navy Pier was pretty cool a couple years ago. :)

Git yerself ah pohlish saaasitch and cheer ahn da bersss.

Doohn't ferget yer ayveeyaterz and yer mustaaash.

The Berghoff used to be my favorite restaurant in Chicago. Great German food and micro-brew beer. I haven't been there in years(just haven't had the opportunity - always in Chicago on a day trip or staying in Schaumburg), but I've heard that it's not as good as it once was. Apparently the third generation wanted to concentrate on catering, so they shut the restaurant down about 6 years ago. I guess the catering biz didn't quite work out, so they reopened the restaurant a year or so later.

The reviews I've read since then don't appear to be up to the same standards. May be just perception. If I get the chance, I'll definitely go back. Great food, great atmosphere and great service.

Isn't there a "Tiffany's" in Chicago I'm sure your wife would like to window shop. :)

Navy Pier was pretty cool a couple years ago. :)

Lucky she isn't interesting in that much. I think we will walk around Marshall Fields, I have great memories from when I was a kid.

Lucky she isn't interesting in that much. I think we will walk around Marshall Fields, I have great memories from when I was a kid.
Unfortunately, Marshall Field's is no longer. They were bought out by Macy's, who decided that Marshall Field's didn't have enough storied history to retain its own identity. So now it's just another chain department store.

I second Lou Malnati's. The best pizza ANYWHERE.

I highly recommend Second City as well.

For restaurants there is so much out there but I'll give you the things that Chicago is known for.

Pizza: Lou Malnatis or Giordanos
Steak and/or Seafood: Joe's Stone Crab
Hotdog: Portillos

The Berghoff used to be my favorite restaurant in Chicago. Great German food and micro-brew beer. I haven't been there in years(just haven't had the opportunity - always in Chicago on a day trip or staying in Schaumburg), but I've heard that it's not as good as it once was. Apparently the third generation wanted to concentrate on catering, so they shut the restaurant down about 6 years ago. I guess the catering biz didn't quite work out, so they reopened the restaurant a year or so later.

The reviews I've read since then don't appear to be up to the same standards. May be just perception. If I get the chance, I'll definitely go back. Great food, great atmosphere and great service.

My cousin's husband was the head chef at The Berghoff when they got GREAT reviews - because he's damned good, and had a great reputation. Then the Berghoff family decided that they'd put their daughter in charge. In less than a year the restaurant closed and all she had was a lame catering business.

Unfortunately, Marshall Field's is no longer. They were bought out by Macy's, who decided that Marshall Field's didn't have enough storied history to retain its own identity. So now it's just another chain department store.

Should have known. :(

But everyone still calls it Marshall Fields, at least the State Street store. Pretty big marketing/branding mistake by Macy's IMO.

But everyone still calls it Marshall Fields, at least the State Street store. Pretty big marketing/branding mistake by Macy's IMO.
GIGANTIC marketing mistake, IMHO. I can't say that I haven't shopped there since Macy's took over, but I can say that my purchases have decreased; probably by an order of magnitude! I actively AVOID purchasing anything there now!

GIGANTIC marketing mistake, IMHO. I can't say that I haven't shopped there since Macy's took over, but I can say that my purchases have decreased; probably by an order of magnitude! I actively AVOID purchasing anything there now!

It is odd, isn't it? And I think it's all corporate ego. It's not unheard of for companies to retain certain brand names for specific purposes - look at how many hotels want my Hilton Honors card.

It's not like Chicago is a small market. There was a Marshall Fields up here in Milwaukee, but in Chicago it was as iconic as the Cubs for Gods sake. Of course it was also in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation!

Did Marshall Field replace Meigs Field?

:D

I find that Macy's, in general, is a rather unpleasant shopping experience. Not as bad as Sears or Penny's, but clearly inferior compared to Nordstrom. I rarely, if ever, go into a Macy's any more.

Years ago those big department stores had their own regional identity. Macy's was big in New York, Marshall Field's in Chicago. People (not me) would make it a point to visit these landmark stores when they traveled to these cities. Now with consolidation they have lost their uniqueness.

Back