@#$@#$ Chicago

astanley

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew Stanley
I'm trying to plan a "secret" (she doesn't read the boards...) trip away to Chicago for my wife and I. We just moved to the Dayton area and, as one could expect, we're lonesome for our "Boston" style of life.

So I say, "Self, Chicago is a big, major city with great food and museums... why not go check it out?" Then I say "Self, your first wedding anniversary is coming up! Perfect!!"

So I take a look. Want to stay on the Magnificent Mile? Pricey ($280/night), but, the worst isn't over: $42/night in CITY AND STATE TAXES. That's right. Chi-town will fleece me for $84 in fees before I even spend another nickel in their city. That's a decent bottle of wine at our nice anniversary dinner... in !@#$@#$@# taxes, just for staying downtown.

The worst part? I'll end up paying it so we can go to the Art Institute. But, damn it all to hell, this grinds my gears.

Cheers,

-Andrew

ah hell just stay with Mike. hes got like 15 empty bedrooms

seriously though, that does suck, but have fun with the wife and I hope she really doesnt read the boards.

argh! that sucks.

it's a great location though. I spent a month at the Palmer House Hilton almost 10 years ago (trial prep) and it was a fabulous location. if you can stay there, do.

congrats on the anniversary!

later in the fall or in the spring I'd be up for meeting you and other Chicago area POAers there...

Orbitz is your friend. I find good cheap rates at real 5-star hotels in Chicago on there. And if you do not find one stay at the Marriott courtyard right behind the Hancock Center. It is relatively cheap and only biz people stay there. When I have downtown meetings I will sometime bunk there to avoid an early commute in.

I'm trying to plan a "secret" (she doesn't read the boards...) trip away to Chicago for my wife and I. We just moved to the Dayton area and, as one could expect, we're lonesome for our "Boston" style of life.

So I say, "Self, Chicago is a big, major city with great food and museums... why not go check it out?" Then I say "Self, your first wedding anniversary is coming up! Perfect!!"

So I take a look. Want to stay on the Magnificent Mile? Pricey ($280/night), but, the worst isn't over: $42/night in CITY AND STATE TAXES. That's right. Chi-town will fleece me for $84 in fees before I even spend another nickel in their city. That's a decent bottle of wine at our nice anniversary dinner... in !@#$@#$@# taxes, just for staying downtown.

The worst part? I'll end up paying it so we can go to the Art Institute. But, damn it all to hell, this grinds my gears.

Cheers,

-Andrew
Yep! Duh Mare likes the taxes on dose who can't vote against him. Part of that is for the Expo authority that runs Navy Pier and built Soldier Field and Sox park.

Try http://hotwire.com for a good deal. You don't know where it is until you buy, but when they say 4 stars, it's 4 stars and 50% off.

Try http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/ to see what's going on. Lemme know what kind of restaurants you'd like and I'll recommend some.

Last edited:
I understand missing the Boston life but CHICAGO????? To pay those kind of taxes to spend money in a town that did what it did to Migs? Me, Personally wouldn't do it, Never. Go to Cleavland.

Why not go to Boston if you miss Boston. You have an airplane for goshsakes. I swore up and down I would never step foot in Chicagon again after the destruction of Meigs, and I mean to keep my promise.

I understand missing the Boston life but CHICAGO????? To pay those kind of taxes to spend money in a town that did what it did to Migs? Me, Personally wouldn't do it, Never. Go to Cleavland.

It is a hard decision indeed Missa. But they have a few panels of Ghiberti's Bapitsry doors, which are probably the finest works of art I have ever laid eyes on. As the originals won't be back together when I'm in Florence next, this is a great chance to see them... and thank my wife who just moved our entire house across country with basically zero help from me. (Not like I need to explain myself... but it bears mentioning!) On top of that, I'm friendly with a few food critics who live in Chi-town, and they've offered to show us around.

On the one hand, how can I support a city that does those sorts of things? On the other, if I continue to think that way, I'll stop going to every major city in the world . . .

Cheers,

-Andrew

Yep! Duh Mare likes the taxes on dose who can't vote against him. Part of that is for the Expo authority that runs Navy Pier and built Soldier Field and Sox park.

Try http://hotwire.com for a good deal. You don't know where it is until you buy, but when they say 4 stars, it's 4 stars and 50% off.

Try http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/ to see what's going on. Lemme know what kind of restaurants you'd like and I'll recommend some.

We're looking for a mix - one lunch will be taken care of by friends, probably aquarium smoker barbecue or italian beef (for the cultural flavor :) ), but for dinner, everything but Japanese is an option. Truely exceptional food, no pretentious BS, and a good wine list are my basic qualifications. Bonus if it is regional Italian (Tuscan, Emilgio-Romangan, or Piemontese), or a steak place that isn't one step above a madames palace ;)

Cheers,

-Andrew

We're looking for a mix - one lunch will be taken care of by friends, probably aquarium smoker barbecue or italian beef (for the cultural flavor :) ), but for dinner, everything but Japanese is an option. Truely exceptional food, no pretentious BS, and a good wine list are my basic qualifications. Bonus if it is regional Italian (Tuscan, Emilgio-Romangan, or Piemontese), or a steak place that isn't one step above a madames palace ;)

Cheers,

-Andrew

French: Go to Everest, it is one of the finest Alsace-cuisine restaurants in the world. incredible wine cellar too.

I have not been too impressed with any Italian restaurants in the city. I did just find a really nice one in Crystal Lake. It is real near the train station of you want to take an hour train ride from downtown.

Try the Afghanistan restaurants in Chicago. A really different food experience that I have not seen elsewhere.

Also a very good basic Cajun place is Heaven on Seven. The original is a lunch place on Wabash but they also opened a dinner restaurant on Clark. I think they may even have something on Michigan Ave now too.

It is a hard decision indeed Missa. But they have a few panels of Ghiberti's Bapitsry doors, which are probably the finest works of art I have ever laid eyes on. As the originals won't be back together when I'm in Florence next, this is a great chance to see them...

isn't that funny? and Mom's big trip to Florence was in May when they were on the road trip.

isn't that funny? and Mom's big trip to Florence was in May when they were on the road trip.

Yeah! I've seen the repros which are just simply stunning, but I have heard the real thing will take your breath away. I can't wait to see them actually.

We're back in Levanto for 2 weeks in March next year - MIL's 50th, so we're taking her. I hope we can sneak away two nights, one for Florence and one for Siena. I miss Trattoria Pantera; and there is an Enoteca in Florence I've been thinking about for about a year now... not to mention Parizzi in Parma!

Cheers,

-Andrew

Yeah, Da Mare does like to tax the out of towners. Not cool. But, if you ask me, a couple nights in Chicago is worth twice that... I love this city that much -- even after the Meigs BS and all the other stuff.

As far as Italian goes, I've had good experiences at La Scarola. Nothing fancy, but good. And the bar next door -- Richard's -- is one of the more interesting dive bars in the city if you're stuck waiting for your table. Every time I've been there -- I'm not making this up -- I've seen at least a couple Italian looking dudes wearing wind suits and gold chains, Christopher Moltisanti-style. No joke. It's an interesting slice of Chicago culture. ;)

I've never been, but Scott's recommendation of Everest is in line with everything I've heard of it -- everyone says it's spectacular. Also, Alinea is a culinary experience probably unlike any other you've ever had... Grant Achatz is renowned as one of the most creative chefs in the world, and it was Gourmet Magazine's best restaurant in America in 2005... Might be worth a look... It's a pretty amazing experience -- I think the duck served on the "pillow" full of lavender-scented air is what really knocked me out. :D

Anyway, enjoy your time here, and give me a shout if you're interested in meeting up for a drink or if you'd like any other info. Oh, and there's never a good reason to not take in a Cubs game if they're in town -- especially now that they're in first place! :D

Also a very good basic Cajun place is Heaven on Seven. The original is a lunch place on Wabash but they also opened a dinner restaurant on Clark. I think they may even have something on Michigan Ave now too.
Heaven on Seven on Rush. Rush and Ontario. Jimmy went New Orleans to study under Paul Prudhomme. It is the best Cajun next to K-Pauls...and PapaDeux in Dallas.

Try Bice for Italian but your critic friends will know.

Italian Beef: Mr. Beef on Orleans. Only open for lunch. Al's on Ontario is OK.

Chicago Pizza: Lou Malnanti's on LaSalle is better Uno or Due's or Ginos. Lou and his dad invented it at Uno's.

Mexican: Rick Bayless' Frontera Grill on Clark (The "Mexico: One Plate at a Time" guy) http://www.fronterakitchens.com/restaurants/restaurants.html

Greek: GREEK ISLANDS on Halsted. None other, especially NOT Papagus.

Last edited:
Heaven on Seven on Rush. Rush and Ontario. Jimmy went New Orleans to study under Paul Prudhomme. It is the best Cajun next to K-Pauls...and PapaDeux in Dallas.

Try Bice for Italian but your critic friends will know.

Italian Beef: Mr. Beef on Orleans. Only open for lunch. Al's on Ontario is OK.

Chicago Pizza: Lou Malnanti's on LaSalle is better Uno or Due's or Ginos. Lou and his dad invented it at Uno's.

Mexican: Rick Bayless' Frontera Grill on Clark (The "Mexico: One Plate at a Time" guy) http://www.fronterakitchens.com/restaurants/restaurants.html

Greek: GREEK ISLANDS on Halsted. None other, especially NOT Papagus.

Great recommendations, Mike. The Al's Beef on Ontario is OK. However, it's nothing like the original Al's Beef on W. Taylor St. I don't know what it's like now, but about 15 years ago it was in a garage, standing room only, with Italian sausage grilled over charcoal - in the garage! Get the combo w/ sweet peppers, wet. Then you could go across the street for an Italian ice. Yum.

Lou Malnati's is my favorite as well (dialed 1-800-LOUTOGO many times while living in NC), but Due's is a close second. Ditto with Greek Islands. Frontera is overrated IMHO.

Man, I need to get back to my home town of Chicago pronto. If only I could fly into Meigs Field ... :(

Last edited:
For pizza I really like the original Uno's or Due's. (It is NOT the chain, and you can expect a wait). But the sausage patty pizza at Gino's is unlike anything I've had elsewhere, and is really good. Malnati's is very good too! And if you want something different, a spinach pizza at Edwardo's with the whole wheat crust is good.

Arun's (http://www.arunsthai.com/) used to be the place for a four-star Thai dinner, but I understand it's gone downhill in recent years. Anyone been there recently?

Reza's (http://www.rezasrestaurant.com/) is really good for a Persian flavor, and they have a good wine cellar. There are now three locations, including one on Ontario.

I'll add my vote for Heaven on Seven. Cash only, though!

If you want southern cooking I like the Dixie Kitchen and Bait Shop (http://www.dixiekitchenchicago.com/) in Hyde Park. There's one in Lansing in the southern suburbs now, too.

Might want to consider the Hilton Chicago on Michigan. I got a weekday deal there on pretty short notice - a couple days -for around $140 (maybe a bit less)/night. Very nice rooms, good service. I don't remember who I booked it through.

Jeff

<snip>
If you want southern cooking I like the Dixie Kitchen and Bait Shop (http://www.dixiekitchenchicago.com/) in Hyde Park. There's one in Lansing in the southern suburbs now, too.

As one who has eaten at Dixie Kitchen, I'd say it's more like a bait shop than southern cooking. :eek:

If you want southern cooking, come south. If you want pizza, go to Chicago or New York.

Not knocking the place but folks should really stick with doing what they do well.

Grant, you and Leslie come down to KJWN and I'll take y'all out to a meat and three that will have your tongue slapping your brain!:yes:

Kevin, throw in some sweet tea with that meat and three and I might just have to come over! :)

Cheers,

-Andrew

Italian: Spiaggia
Steak: Chicago Chop House

But they have a few panels of Ghiberti's Bapitsry doors, which are probably the finest works of art I have ever laid eyes on. As the originals won't be back together when I'm in Florence next, this is a great chance to see them... and thank my wife who just moved our entire house across country with basically zero help from me.
Hopefully you will be able to do your trip soon since the "Gates of Paradise" exhibit will only be there until October 14. Very coincidentally I saw this exhibit yesterday. I'm pretty stupid about both art and religion but I still found them very interesting. :yes:

http://www.artic.edu/aic/exhibitions/ghiberti/overview.html

Hopefully you will be able to do your trip soon since the "Gates of Paradise" exhibit will only be there until October 14. Very coincidentally I saw this exhibit yesterday. I'm pretty stupid about both art and religion but I still found them very interesting. :yes:

http://www.artic.edu/aic/exhibitions/ghiberti/overview.html

We are going 14,15,16, staying downtown. May try and do a PoA hookup, may not - my food friends already booked us for two meals :) One of the reasons we are going is purely because the exhibit will not be back in Firenze by the time we are there late next March, and to see the restored originals would be breathtaking for sure.

The bapitstry doors are a sight to be seen. Firstly, the duomo in Firenze is probably one of the greatest, most awe inspiring places on earth - even the Sistene Chapel or the Taj Mahal cannot compete IMO - the engineering feat that was the duomo, the most amazing Florentine façade (with statues of Biblical figures that alone could be art), but then all of the other doors to the duomo - even Bruneleschi himself did a set of doors, which are stunning taken alone, but dwarfed by Ghiberti's masterpiece.

If you've never been to Firenze... go. Rarely can you see so many perfect, beautiful pieces of art, engineering, and culture in one place. The food and wine aren't that bad either :cheerswine:

Cheers,

-Andrew

Italian: Spiaggia
Steak: Chicago Chop House

and:
Steak: Gibsons (ask Duh Mare)
Steak: Gene and Georgetti
Steak: Mortons

Italian: Rosebud
Italian: Carmine's (same company)
Italian: Stefani's

:D