Chicago to Tangier Island

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
First, I want to say how sad I was not being able to join you all out at Gaston's. However, when the insurance company says to get the bird into the shop, it goes into the shop!:(

That said, Leslie and I are planning to fly from 1C5 (Chicago area) to TGI (Tangier Island, VA) in early July (9 - 13). We both want to get our 250NM instrument cross country out of the way on the trip, and were looking for recommendations on "must see" attractions along the route.

Our plans are outbound to do in a single day 1C5 - I69 (Clermont/Sporty's) - LWB (Greenbriar Valley, WV) - TGI (Tangier Island). The island is "dry", so we'l be bringing our own liquid refreshments.:cheers:

Coming back, on the 1st day TGI - FFA (Kitty Hawk, First Flight) - W95 (Ocracoke, VA). 2nd day W95 - AVL (Ashveille, NC). 3rd day, AVL - OWB (Owensboro, Daviess Co., KY) - 1C5.

Any comments, suggestions, offers of get-togethers, etc.? Local knowledge always welcome! This will be our first long-distance instrument cross-country, albeit with an instructor, so the peanut gallery is welcome! :^)

The runway at TGI is in terrible condition -- loose stuff all over the place, bumpy, etc. Be ready for it, and if you're fanatical about the condition of your prop and belly paint, go somewhere else. But if you can get past that, it's worth the trip -- great food, interesting history.

there is a definite bump in the middle - look for it. short, too.

it was a fun day though - left work early to go get crab cakes!

Saturday the 9th might be doable Grant, see you there if i can make it. let me know around what time you plan on getting there. I'm about 1.5 away in PA. Dave G.

"The island is "dry", so we'l be bringing our own liquid refreshments.:cheers:"

Were you planning on -staying- on Tangiers?

One you you DO need to do is make sure you are up to date (as in up to the MINUTE) on the ADIZ, the FRZ and the TFR's that sprout around here like mushrooms after a summer rain. We don't wanna be reading about you in the papers.

Brett

Back