Chicago to Charlotte

USAF JD

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff
I am flying to Charlotte tomorrow and this is my first trip over the tall rocks . I am planning on crossing around hot springs and overflying Ashville and my ultimate destination is UZA. Is there another crossing point that people use? I am planning on cruising at 9,500 weather permitting. Anything I should look out for other than the rocks?

At that altitude, (even 7,500) you're not going to hit anything there. You can do it down lower if you're more selective with your routing. Mount Mitchell is the tallest thing in the area and it peaks out at 6700 or so. If you stay just to the north, you can go quite low (almost down to 4000).

The charlotte class B can be a little annoying with transitions but coming from the NW into UZA you're going to probably want to descend below them to get down anyhow.

Shelby (EHO) just NE has cheap 24 hour SS fuel by the way.
I'm based at NC26 (North side of the class B).

I don't know where exactly you are taking off from, but it looks like a straight shot from Chicago puts you over less terrain. Unless you were purposely wanting to go over the mountains...

I am leaving from the far west of Chicago (3CK) to the south of Charlotte (UZA).

Yes, what Ron said. Biggest obstacle is KCLT's class B. Don't count on any transition, just get down under it.

BTW, don't hesitate to consider using KCLT if it's convenient. The FBO Wilson Air is at the top of their game with all the facilities, shuttles, and top notch service you could ask for. Gas is a bit higher than KUZA but not outrageous.

I use to use KUZA for Charlotte trips. Nothing wrong there but hassles getting weekend car rentals and not cheap gas prices had me sampling KCLT. It was so-so until Wilson was fully up and running. Now I just go for the service and central location.

....I'm based at NC26 (North side of the class B).

I stopped by there this weekend. The kid who works on Sunday seems to be a good kid. I may eventually do my complex training with him. Next time I'm heading up there I'll ping you, maybe we can meet up.

I fly into Concord (KJQF) from the Atlanta area using flight following and have never had a problem getting a transition through the "B"

I fly into Concord (KJQF) from the Atlanta area using flight following and have never had a problem getting a transition through the "B"

I flew from 8A7 to KAND and back last Sunday. Passed through "B" at 7:30am at 4500 ft and go cleared through on flight following. Coming back right at 12 pm at 5500ft and had to stay clear of "B". It all depends on which runway they are landing on.

I am flying to Charlotte tomorrow and this is my first trip over the tall rocks . I am planning on crossing around hot springs and overflying Ashville and my ultimate destination is UZA. Is there another crossing point that people use? I am planning on cruising at 9,500 weather permitting. Anything I should look out for other than the rocks?

I normally file a route over SUG and stay over the hiways leading into Tennessee. You shouldn't need to go thru the Class B, the shelf floor in the KUZA area is 3600 MSL. If you are receiving FF, ATC will have you down to 3000 before going under the B shelf.

I stand corrected. I used to have problems years ago when VFR. I'm now IFR all the time around CLT.
I flew from 8A7 to KAND and back last Sunday. Passed through "B" at 7:30am at 4500 ft and go cleared through on flight following. Coming back right at 12 pm at 5500ft and had to stay clear of "B". It all depends on which runway they are landing on.
And phases of the moon....

Seriously, they seem to have established a corridor for E-W flight over KCLT. However it seems that you have to be under 5 or 6k to get the clearance. Whenever I've tried it at my normal cruise of 7-10k they either tell me to descend or fly me around it.

I stopped by there this weekend. The kid who works on Sunday seems to be a good kid. I may eventually do my complex training with him. Next time I'm heading up there I'll ping you, maybe we can meet up.

Nobody works at our field (at least not in aviation). We're a residential airpark.

As for the class B it really depends on which way you're going. They've trivially let me shave a corner off the class B coming from the south, but that's only after moving me pretty far out west.

Last edited:

If you're flying /G expect 'Clear to the KUZA airport, radar vectors EON then as filled (typically direct), maintain 3000, heading 180, contact departure on 120.55 squawk XXXX'

The rock are easily flow with the altitude you are saying. BTDT in a Cherokee.

Nobody works at our field (at least not in aviation). We're a residential airpark......

hhmm, so who is the guy that sits behind the desk and answers the phone and drives the golf cart around moving planes? I can't remember his name...

If you need fuel or a bathroom stop, check out 0I8- Cynthiana, a few miles west of me.

Leave as early as possible as we are getting some VERY quick pop-up TS in the afternoon. Precipitable water= 1.6-2.0"= Downpours! Be prepared for some hot, muggy, low visibility flying with cloud bases 6,000-6,500' MSL tomorrow. I hope you have on-board wx, although I watched some downpours locally that did not even show up on FF.

I look at this webcam before flying south...

http://www.nature.nps.gov/air/webcams/parks/grsmpkcam/grsmpkcam.cfm

Have fun!

hhmm, so who is the guy that sits behind the desk and answers the phone and drives the golf cart around moving planes? I can't remember his name...

What desk? Moving what planes? Are you confusing us with 14A? The phone number for the airpark rings my cell phone.

Unfortunately I am /U so I was planning on FF and only filing IFR if needed. I am running Foreflight with Stratus so I will have weather.

Navigating the Bravo should be a non issue being from Chicago.

It does look like the weather is going to be pretty active tomorrow along the entire route so I may be scrubbing…

I fly into Rock hill (UZA) from Michigan every few weeks. Charlotte App is pretty easy to work with and they will more than likely run you down a little south then east to avoid traffic instead of direct UZA.

At UZA I always call the FBO and request a rental car (most economical one) never had an issue with it waiting for me and its usually $45/day for a chevy cruze or sonic (something small)

When leaving IFR clearance delivery is easy from UZA freq or going with the VFR with flight following option and picking it up in the air from Charlotte has never been an issue.

AND if you need a fuel stop in before heading over the mountains I would recommend Big Sandy regional KSJS Its midway and they have a pretty decent little diner right next to the FBO. (got that from the POA board, Thanks guys!!):yesnod:

Last edited:
I am ABSOLUTELY confusing it with 14a. :yikes:
Just went into 14A last weekend for the first time in years... gee, it's really grown up. I understand 52 lots now have access to the runway, there's a regular FBO there and can't tell what else exactly but it's humming.

Unfortunately, the entire area is humming now. Auto traffic is a mess. But the lake is still an attractive place to live and play.

I went to 14A also this last Spring, from the Chicago lakefront after scooting by. We stopped in KY for fuel then direct to Moorsville. I think we topped out at 9500, maybe even 11500 for a while over the NC mountains.

Unfortunately I am /U so I was planning on FF and only filing IFR if needed. I am running Foreflight with Stratus so I will have weather.

Navigating the Bravo should be a non issue being from Chicago.

It does look like the weather is going to be pretty active tomorrow along the entire route so I may be scrubbing…

Take a look at the radar to my west(KLEX) right now, 50,000+ tops and lots of pink. This will definitely leave plenty of moisture along your route tomorrow.

Back