Chicago to Alaska via Piper Arrow

Which one to write in the logbook or doesn’t matter?
It’s your logbook.:)

That said, the 4 letter code should be unique worldwide whereas the 3 letter code can repeat. IATA is a 3 letter code and unique but not all airports get IATA or ICAO codes which is where the repeats can sneak in when the local regulator uses 3 letters.

It’s so vanishingly rare that the odds of it happening in your logbook are basically nil, such that if you have been logging 3 letters, I’d keep doing it the same and throw the ICAO in the comments.

The three letter code is more for freight, baggage and mail. While you're visiting the area think about most everything that you see and purchase came in by barge or plane. It's a small number of year around residence, the supplies are transported in smaller quantities and mixed together with the other communities. Every box and letter gets a destination sticker. The lower 48 have railroads, roads, aircraft and barges but the volume of product is multiple times greater so freight and mail gets dedicated containers that bare the stickers.

Any mechanics at Merrill Field (PAMR), Anchorage, Alaska? Nothing serious or urgent, I want to get an oil change (I’m 38 hours tach time since my last oil change so I have a little time left but ready to have it done now), I do have the oil filter and oil (would rather save it, but I have it if needed).

My husband is an A&P and is in Anchorage... I'll PM his info.

On my trip to Alaska, I changed the oil myself, without the filter, after 25 hours at Ft Nelson, BC on the ALCAN with the case of oil I carried with me. On the way back, it worked out that the oil + filter was changed 25 hours later in Whitehorse, Yk at a local FBO that I had pre-arranged with. I was also worried about not having the supplies when I needed it, which for the most part was a needless concern, although at Merril, I bought some extra stuff at Stoddards for the journey back.

On July 3rd in the early morning (around 7am), I was violently awoken by a 4.7 earthquake in Anchorage, I jumped out of bed and opened the blinds as I thought the building might have been falling down, an airplane landed in the park lot or some extreme wildfire was outside. It was one loud boom that vibrated the metal window frames of the hotel and my dogs started barking.

Anchorage, where it never gets dark.

Anchorage 12:00am (midnight)IMG_2253.jpeg

Anchorage 3:00am
IMG_2254.jpeg
IMG_2255.jpeg

Sunrise is usually around 4:30am-5:00am, I am definitely passed out by then.

Rented an RV for a week, drove to Talkeetna and Denali (too many mosquitos), then down south to Portage Glacier, Moose Pass and Seward (much more pleasant). Saw some Salmon at Bear Creek Weir, 3 mooses enroute, no bears in the wild though.

IMG_2721.jpeg
IMG_2816.jpeg
IMG_2806.jpeg
IMG_2849.jpeg
IMG_2827.jpeg

Just landed in Chicago!

Weather was nasty!!! Last leg was 739nm straight line distance (actually was longer as I had to go around some weather)

The Arrow can really cover some ground, and could be more if I ran her more economy.

Trip completed, I’ll try to update the flight legs at some point.

Multi-training and checkride this week.

Can your Arrow make 530 nm in one leg from Port Angeles, WA to Ketchikan? Many stop at Port Hardy, BC (north end of Vancouver Island) for fuel. That shortens the last leg by 200+ nm. Got the few runways between Vancouver Island and Ketchikan identified?
Exactly! My pilot brother and I just made the trip from Glendale, AZ to Ketchikan, AK in a Piper Warrior. The most challenging leg was Port Hardy to Ketchikan and knowing that our options for runways and fuel were very limited.

Mandm, you have a gift for photography, although Alaska, as a subject, is hard to mess up.

Exactly! My pilot brother and I just made the trip from Glendale, AZ to Ketchikan, AK in a Piper Warrior. The most challenging leg was Port Hardy to Ketchikan and knowing that our options for runways and fuel were very limited.
I am astounded by Mandym’s legs. He must have more than the 48 gallons useable that your Warrior and my Archer have as I would be surprised his increased TAS, while in full economy lean at reduced power, makes the difference.

Last edited:
I made the trip from Port Angeles, WA to Ketchikan (and back) both with 10gal in reserves, average fuel burn was 7.5gph when I calculated time and actual fuel added. I did have a considerably longer route on my last leg, but with the benefit of a tailwind and storm that really kicked up the winds.

Based on what others said, I was thinking that I’d have zero options on this leg, but there are airports en route, flat areas of land, and in the worse case scenario there is the sea with a decent boating presence. I would do the journey again, the most concerning part was the $11-12/gal fuel when you are in Ketchikan, Sitka, or Juneau. If you have your survival kit and satellite beacon, you do have a chance should something go wrong although it wouldn’t be as easy as being out East where you pick from the thousands of airports scattered everywhere.

In Alaska there is a completely different mindset when it comes to aviation, people want to land anywhere that they can to experience the solitude and peace. I think us flatlander pilots are very set on finding an airport and having all amenities. Different way of thinking.

In Alaska there is a completely different mindset when it comes to aviation, people want to land anywhere that they can to experience the solitude and peace. I think us flatlander pilots are very set on finding an airport and having all amenities. Different way of thinking.
People generally don't end up in Alaska because they love crowds.

Back