Chicago MDW Airport disaster

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Well at least the way it is being reported!

B)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...t-midway-no-injuries-20110426,0,3514918.story

No injuries were reported when a Southwest Airlines plane slid off a runway at Midway Airport and into a patch of mud this afternoon, officials said.
The plane, Flight 1919 from Denver, was carrying 144 crew and passengers, including several babies, according to fire department officials.
The incident happened at about 1:35 p.m., said Fire Department spokesman Quention Curtis. Passengers remained on the Boeing 737 while buses were dispatched to bring them to the terminal, according to fire communications.
The plane landed on runway 13 Center and slid off the left edge near the end of the runway, according to the Federal Aviation Administration.
It came to rest on a grassy area near 63rd Street and Cicero Avenue about 150 feet from a wall separating the airport grounds from the street, with the nose pointed directly at a White Castle drive-through across Cicero, officials said.

I am sure the flight plan is what saved the day.

SPECI KMDW 261828Z 22010G17KT 1 1/2SM RA BR SCT009 BKN015CB OVC034 16/14 A2941 RMK AO2 CB SW MOV E P0011 $
SPECI KMDW 261844Z 21012G21KT 7SM -RA FEW009 BKN015CB OVC034 16/14 A2941 RMK AO2 CB SE MOV E P0013 $

You gotta love the thought of a reporter going around frenetically, asking, "were there babies on board? What about people in wheel chairs? Nursing mothers? Schoolchildren who are planning on going to medical school when they grow up?"

You gotta love the thought of a reporter going around frenetically, asking, "were there babies on board? What about people in wheel chairs? Nursing mothers? Schoolchildren who are planning on going to medical school when they grow up?"

No kidding.....everyone hates babies on the plane, but let a plane full of 'em slide off the runway and we've got ourselves a made-for-the-evening-news disaster on our hands!

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES RELEASES SECOND STATEMENT REGARDING FLIGHT 1919 AT CHICAGO MIDWAY

APR
SOUTHWEST AIRLINES RELEASES SECOND STATEMENT

REGARDING FLIGHT 1919 AT CHICAGO MIDWAY

Plane Exited Runway Upon Arrival; No Injuries Reported

DALLAS—April 26, 2011—Southwest Airlines’ Flight 1919 exited the runway at Chicago’s Midway Airport while landing at approximately 1:33 p.m. CT today. The aircraft, a Boeing 737-700, arrived from Denver International Airport, where it had departed at 9:56 a.m. MT.

The preliminary passenger list, still subject to verification, indicates that the aircraft carried 134 passengers, five lap children, and five crew members. Initial reports are that no one was injured. The passengers have been safely deplaned from the aircraft using air stairs and have been bused to the terminal.

Southwest officials are working with passengers to get them to their final destinations. The airline is making outreach to each Customer onboard the flight to refund their roundtrip and issue them two complimentary roundtrip passes as a gesture of goodwill.

Southwest officials are in direct contact with the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) as they perform an investigation into the cause of this incident.

Southwest is working aggressively to minimize Customer inconvenience at Midway Airport. Customers are encouraged to check flight status at www.southwest.com before heading to the airport. Southwest is experiencing some delays at Chicago’s Midway Airport as a result of the aircraft off the runway.

Source:
http://www.swamedia.com

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES RELEASES SECOND STATEMENT REGARDING FLIGHT 1919 AT CHICAGO MIDWAY

APR
SOUTHWEST AIRLINES RELEASES SECOND STATEMENT

REGARDING FLIGHT 1919 AT CHICAGO MIDWAY

Plane Exited Runway Upon Arrival; No Injuries Reported

DALLAS—April 26, 2011—Southwest Airlines’ Flight 1919 exited the runway at Chicago’s Midway Airport while landing at approximately 1:33 p.m. CT today. The aircraft, a Boeing 737-700, arrived from Denver International Airport, where it had departed at 9:56 a.m. MT.

The preliminary passenger list, still subject to verification, indicates that the aircraft carried 134 passengers, five lap children, and five crew members. Initial reports are that no one was injured. The passengers have been safely deplaned from the aircraft using air stairs and have been bused to the terminal.

Southwest officials are working with passengers to get them to their final destinations. The airline is making outreach to each Customer onboard the flight to refund their roundtrip and issue them two complimentary roundtrip passes as a gesture of goodwill.

Southwest officials are in direct contact with the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) as they perform an investigation into the cause of this incident.

Southwest is working aggressively to minimize Customer inconvenience at Midway Airport. Customers are encouraged to check flight status at www.southwest.com before heading to the airport. Southwest is experiencing some delays at Chicago’s Midway Airport as a result of the aircraft off the runway.

Source:
http://www.swamedia.com

Just reading that sent chills down my back. Those poor people, what unimaginable horrors they must have gone through.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Is there any word as to what caused this, other than several screaming babies distracting the pilot?

Is there any word as to what caused this, other than several screaming babies distracting the pilot?

No probably cause yet. Read the METARs that Bruce posted and draw your own conclusion.

That pilot is a hero!

There was so much water on that runway and (the pilot) could not stop the plane. It was like 'Holy ... what's going on,' " said Moelter, 55. "It was like landing in a lake; you could feel it.

"That pilot saved us," said Moelter, from Oak Park. "If he would have landed another two or three seconds down the runway, we would have been all over Cicero Avenue.

Then again....
""There are preliminary indications that the plane may have been hot and landed long,’’ the source said, referring to its speed and where its landing gear touched down in the landing zone of 13 Center.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...t-midway-no-injuries-20110426,0,3514918.story

Oh.

"That pilot saved us," said Moelter, from Oak Park. "If he would have landed another two or three seconds down the runway, we would have been all over Cicero Avenue.
Uh, no....you would have been in the EMAS

It was 5 'lap children'......I'm waiting for some stoopid news commentator to try and make some connection that this should move the FAA to require separate seats for all babies.

They should close Midway and make it a park. :D

I'm waiting for some stoopid news commentator to try and make some connection that this should move the FAA to require separate seats for all babies.

Actually, that, or something similar, SHOULD happen. The idea of having a person, regardless of age, loose in the cabin is ludicrous, IMO

Actually, that, or something similar, SHOULD happen. The idea of having a person, regardless of age, loose in the cabin is ludicrous, IMO

I do agree with you fully, however, I was just commenting on the fact that they have mentioned the 'babies/lap-children' several times and they clearly had nothing to do with this particular incident.

They should close Midway and make it a park. :D

They're fueling up the bulldozers.

I'm still waiting for Daley to sink Northerly Island to keep Rahm from rebuilding Meigs.

Last edited:

:yes:

I can't believe people are so frickin' cheap they'd carry their kids in their laps to save a buck. Stupid. Period.

They're fueling up the bulldozers.

I'm still waiting for Daley to sink Northerly Island to keep Rahm from rebuilding Meigs.

B-b-but then he wouldn't have a park named after his wife! :rolleyes:

I would love to have Meigs open for use after I get my PPL. The wife and I love to go to Chicago for the museums with the kids, and (if we're with our friends) get some Chinese food. Be easier to get some groceries (perishable) back too.

Be easier to get some groceries (perishable) back too.
So funny. I live in Chicago but go to OSH every weekend... and we always bring groceries from Wisconsin back into Illinois. You live in ATW and go to Chicago to bring groceries back home.
What are you getting in Chicago that's not in Appleton?

So funny. I live in Chicago but go to OSH every weekend... and we always bring groceries from Wisconsin back into Illinois. You live in ATW and go to Chicago to bring groceries back home.
What are you getting in Chicago that's not in Appleton?

Ketchup?:yikes:

NTSB Identification: DCA11IA047
Scheduled 14 CFR Part 121: Air Carrier operation of SOUTHWEST AIRLINES CO
Incident occurred Tuesday, April 26, 2011 in Chicago, IL
Aircraft: BOEING 737-7Q8, registration: N799SW
Injuries: 139 Uninjured.
This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.
On April 26, 2011 at 1:33pm central daylight time (CDT), a Boeing 737-700, U.S. registration N799SW, operated by Southwest Airlines as flight 1919, departed the left side of runway 13C after landing at Chicago Midway International Airport, Chicago, Illinois (MDW). Weather was reported as rain, with southerly winds of approxmately 20 knots. There was minor damage to the airplane due to the right hand engine ingesting a taxiway light during the excursion. The were no injuries to the 2 flight crew, 3 cabin crew, and 139 passengers which included 5 lap-held children. Witness marks on the runway indicated the airplane touched down about 450 feet from the displaced arrival threshold. Runway conditions were reported as "wet and fair [braking]" by a preceeding arrival.

They're still talking about those lap-children.....I'm thinking that must be the NTSB's latest cause.

Touching down 450 ft from the displaced threshold is definitely not a long landing.

Touching down 450 ft from the displaced threshold is definitely not a long landing.

What I want to know is... In the midst of the gigantic black blotch in the middle of the touchdown zone, how do they know exactly which set of tire marks belonged to that airplane? :dunno:

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC06013.JPG
    DSC06013.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 2,086
What I want to know is... In the midst of the gigantic black blotch in the middle of the touchdown zone, how do they know exactly which set of tire marks belonged to that airplane? :dunno:

I am not 100% sure. I am not even 80% sure. But I think the Flight Data recorder can be matched up with a GPS track to determine that.

:yes:

I can't believe people are so frickin' cheap they'd carry their kids in their laps to save a buck. Stupid. Period.
Very very easy to say if you have an extra buck. Not so easy when you don't have the extra dollar. Statistically speaking its pretty unlikely that paying for double the ticket is going to make much of a difference to your child's life.

How many children have been killed because they weren't in their own seat?

You could put that extra $500 towards another safety item that would have a larger impact on your child's chance of making adulthood.

Lap carriage is permitted to age 2 by the statistic that airline travel is safer than over the koad travel. The number of miles travelled by air would go down X% if Mom had to buy an extra seat for baby, and those miles would then go on our highways, with a higher injury/mortality per mile rate.

It all devolves to the administration's $$ value on the cost of a human life.

They're still talking about those lap-children.....I'm thinking that must be the NTSB's latest cause.
One of them anyway.

http://www.ntsb.gov/pressrel/2010/101215.html

Chairman Hersman stated, "We appreciate the FAAC acknowledging the dangers associated with children flying on their parents' laps, but we would have preferred to see the FAA be mandated to require that every person including our youngest children be restrained appropriately for their age and size." She continued, "We know that the safest place for children younger than age two traveling on airplanes is in an appropriate child safety seat. The era of the lap child on airplanes should come to an end."

I agree. All one has to do is talk to the survivors of United 232 in Sioux City Iowa about that. I think more than one lap child didn't survive that deal.

Considering 100+ fully-belted pax didn't survive that deal, I'm not sure it proves much.

Sure, they'd be safer in their own seat - But they're safer on a lap than they are in a car.

Considering 100+ fully-belted pax didn't survive that deal, I'm not sure it proves much.

Point being, they didn't have ANY chance the way they were "secured". If they were properly restrained in a child seat, they would at least have had a fighting chance.

Do you know what the procedure is for the lap children in case of an emergency like that? At the time it was place them on the floor at your feet. Real secure, huh? As it is now, I am not sure there is ROOM on the floor at your feet. Especially not a two year old. Lets at least give them a fighting chance.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back