Chicago Folks...

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
Where is Glenview? Nearest GA Airport? Commute time to nice neighborhoods?

Thanks!

bill

wsuffa said:
Where is Glenview? Nearest GA Airport? Commute time to nice neighborhoods?
bill

Glenview is pretty much due east of ORD and Palwaukee (PWK). The northern end of Glenview is less than 10 miles from PWK if you want to land at the closest public airport. Are you looking at a job opportunity there? I doubt that you'd want to keep an airplane at PWK though, I expect the rates are sky high. Waukon (UGN) is a bit more GA friendly and about 25 miles north of Glenview. There are plenty of nice neighborhoods in Glenview AFaIK. I have a good friend who lives there now and my Uncle had a nice place when he worked at Northwestern Univ many years ago. Going north towards UGN along the lake there are plenty of decent places to live as well.

Glenview has the well known Glenbrook South HS and Glenbrook N. It's a good part of town. Willow Road is 128000 North and runs from WINNETKA which is as tony as it gets (well, maybe Kenilworth immediately to the south) west to Palwaukee Airport.

It takes about 20 minutes on Willow Road to get from Palwaukee to Winnetka. Once you go north along the lake from Winnetka (Glencoe, Highland Park, Highwood, Lake Forest...all very Tony) you get closer to Waukegan.

In and around PWK is Northfield and Wheeling, not as Tony but still great neighborhoods.

Graduate of New Trier HS East (Winnetka).

Thanks, guys.

I have a phone interview Wed with the recruiter for a group based in Glenview. Doing a little background work to see whether the $$$ might end up in the right range.

bill

Palwaukee sent me a flyer saying that outside tiedowns are as little as $150 a month. I never called to verify that, but I'd be tempted. Jann's place is only a mile away from the backdoor of PWK Glenview is just a few miles down.

Last week I watched from the moving train as a Cessna turned a long base to final for PWK. I shouted out as it looked like it was about to overtake and descend into another Cessna below its nose. The top one went around. PWK is one busy airport.

What was Glenview NAS is a very pricey community now. There's great train service to downtown Chicago, with 2 stops in Glenview, one at The Glen which was the NAS.

Bill, you can join me at C81 or spring for UGN if you want sanity not as close to Glenview as PWK.

Good luck!

Bill, as far as nice neighborhoods, there are lots around Chicago. It all comes down to trade offs. Most people have a fixed $ price for accomodation. The farther out you go the more you get with your $. I bought in St. Charles (10 min from a terrific airport - DPA), got more for my money but also got a much longer commute. 1 1/2 hrs door to door each way - I work right downtown.

Interesting thread, as my son has been accepted to North Park University, which a glance at the map seems not too far from Glenview. If he goes, he won't be there for another year, as he's doing a one year program at Covenant Bible College in Ecuador first.

gkainz said:
Interesting thread, as my son has been accepted to North Park University, which a glance at the map seems not too far from Glenview. If he goes, he won't be there for another year, as he's doing a one year program at Covenant Bible College in Ecuador first.
North Park is on the north(west) side of Chicago.

Ya gotta remember that we have lots of miles out here in the Midwest. It can be a shock to right-coasters.

If you look at the driving directions, you'll see it's 8 1/2 miles from North Park to Glenview, the first 2 miles of which is congested Chicago streets. When I drive from my city house to the airport, it takes about 20 minutes, 1/3 of the trip time, just to get onto the expressway.

The neighborhood around North Park is one of the hot ones, with nice bungalow homes that are being fought over. You should be able to find decent, although not cheap, rental apartments nearby.

mikea said:
North Park is on the north(west) side of Chicago.

Ya gotta remember that we have lots of miles out here in the Midwest. It can be a shock to right-coasters.
Ahemmmmm, 'scuze me? right coaster? Why, I outta... :D Born in Minnesota, raised in South Dakota, last 15 years in Colorado! (ok, there were those years in the Navy in San Diego, CA and Norfolk, VA, so I guess I was, at one time, a right-coaster and a left-coaster) ... RE: lotta miles ... anything within an hour's drive is close - even if it's 90 miles away - as opposed to the hour's drive I suffered numerous times a couple of years ago trying to get to Cambridge from Boston/Logan Airport. :(

Thanks for the tips! Looks like we'll be trying to schedule a visit to North Park before the school year's over to check it out. I ventured into Chicago a few times when I worked for Oracle a number of years ago. They told me "don't rent a car" and I said, "Yeah, right! I ALWAYS get a car.", being the stubborn, midwestern cowboy that I was raised. After spending 2 hours trying to find a parking spot that ended up costing me as much as the car rental, I turned it back in. Turns out that the L runs from the airport and stops in the basement of the Oracle building. Huh, how about that? :p

Last edited:
gkainz said:
Ahemmmmm, 'scuze me? right coaster? Why, I outta... :D Born in Minnesota, raised in South Dakota, last 15 years in Colorado! (ok, there were those years in the Navy in San Diego, CA and Norfolk, VA, so I guess I was, at one time, a right-coaster and a left-coaster) ... RE: lotta miles ... anything within an hour's drive is close - even if it's 90 miles away - as opposed to the hour's drive I suffered numerous times a couple of years ago trying to get to Cambridge from Boston/Logan Airport.

I didn't say YOU were a right coaster. Just that right coasters don't know how many miles we have.

I once went to a training class out in "the land beyond O'Hare" where the trainer had come in from Boston. I had earlier gone to training at his office. One of the guys in the local class invited him to come see his datacenter during the lunch break. His office was downtown. As he came back from lunch a half-hour late his eyes were wide as saucers. Too many miles in between.

When I visited Boston I was amazed how close things are.

You're right in that it's still 1.5 hours distance. That gets you 5-8 miles in Boston and 35-50 miles here.

wsuffa said:
Thanks, guys.

I have a phone interview Wed with the recruiter for a group based in Glenview. Doing a little background work to see whether the $$$ might end up in the right range.

bill

Good luck Bill. Let us know how it goes. May be visitin you on the way up to Wisconsin :cheerio:

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
Good luck Bill. Let us know how it goes. May be visitin you on the way up to Wisconsin :cheerio:

Dave

Thanks. We'll see how it goes.... supposed to talk to some folks in Las Vegas next week, too...

wsuffa said:
Thanks, guys.

bill

Bill,

Good luck on the interviews. Hope this works for you.

Back