Chicago Folks!

Darrell111

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Darrell111
I am traveling to Chi town for the first time and was wondering if anyone could recommend a hotel. I would like to stay somewhere that is close to the tourist spot or whatever heck i dont know. Help me out! :) I would like something for around 100 a night but if worth it i will spend more but of course less is even better!

Thanks
Darrell

No im not flying myself up there :(

Darrell,
While Chicago hotel prices are not as high as Manhattan, I doubt that you will be able to find anything in the $100 range anywhere (except maybe a hostel or Y), even if you go to the far suburbs.
I recommend you try the Holiday Inn at the Merchandist Mart, which frequently has specials in the $150-$170 range and is pretty much in the center of both the downtown area (the Loop) and Michigan Ave (the Magnificent Mile). Priceline is another option, of course.
You will also likely hear from fellow pilots that you should avoid Chicago because of the mayor's heinous act of bulldozing Meigs Field. Come anyway, it's a helluva a great town.
Elizabeth

As Elizabeth said, Chicago ain't cheap. I think there's a significant hotel tax, too. I'd offer our place up, but you said close to the tourist destinations, and we aren't. Merchandise Mart is nicely located. The W down by Navy Pier is nicely located, but last time I was there, albeit on the 4th of July, so things were hectic, the service I got wasn't what I'd expected. It's also NOWHERE near $100/night. For that, you'd want your handgun under your pillow, except that they're outlawed in Chicago, except for the criminals! :hairraise:(And to make Elizabeth happy, I'll include Daley in with the criminals, or at least the terrorists :rofl:)

Wow!!! Ok so looks like i am staying in the burbs!! Im not dropping that kind of cash if all i have to do is just drive in.

Well, if you're going to be staying in the burbs, and it's just one or two of you, I can offer you a place in Romeoville, about 1 to 1.5 hours out of town (depending on the time of day). Note that there's no public transportation to speak of. But I'm near two GA airports, so you could fly yourself!

Darrell111 said:
Wow!!! Ok so looks like i am staying in the burbs!! Im not dropping that kind of cash if all i have to do is just drive in.

Ok, plan on spending $40 to park for the day ......... if you want to be close to downtown ........

EHITCH said:
Ok, plan on spending $40 to park for the day ......... if you want to be close to downtown ........
If you get there early enough in the day, you can do it for $20 - $25. That's generally before 8:00AM, for the early-bird special.

When some relatives came for the weekend not long ago I got 2 extended stay suites for $49 a night in the northwest suburban corner near O'Hare that you can't get to without a sherpa. You can find such deals on the excess inventory sites.

They did better navigating than I did when I led them out to the place. It was just off the tollway once you figured out how to find the ramps.

If you dont mind public transport, METRA and the CTA are a great way to avoid the aggravation of driving into downtown, and it'll save you a ton on parking.

Remember Chicago traffic is getting to be almost as bad as LA

Pete
(no longer living in FIB land ;) )

OK, for an example of a suburban rate, I found an $89 rate in Schaumburg at Homewood Suites, here 'tis:

Homewood Suites by Hilton® Chicago/Schaumburg 815 East American Lane, Schaumburg, Illinois, United States 60173
Tel: +1-847-605-0400 Fax: +1-847-619-0990

Let us know your dates, we'll meet at Gino's East for deep dish pizza!!!!!!!!

mikea said:
They did better navigating than I did when I led them out to the place. It was just off the tollway once you figured out how to find the ramps.

I can never get used to this part of "life in Chicago." Some ramps only go southbound, some only go northbound .... I can't tell you how many times I end up driving way out of my way because there's no northbound entrance ramp at xxxxxxxx.

And I work not far from Schaumburg, so could meet you for lunch or dinner! Lou Malnati's would work too. Downtown, it's definitely the original Uno's or Due's. The franchise you may know has no relationship to the real restaurant other than the logo.

If you do stay in the burbs, check with the hotel to find out a) if they offer a shuttle to the airport and b) whether the train (either Metra or CTA) is walking distance or if they'll give a ride.

I got some good rates at the Drake, $250/night. Staying downtown is much better than staying in the burbs. There are some cheaper hotels there too. There is a Best Western near the Rock and Roll McDonalds. Seriously check with priceline or orbits for some deals. it is now off season for Chicago convention and business travel.

Darrell,
I'll PM you my cell # if you want some help finding stuff. I live in the extreme NW suburbs but work near where Grant also works. Lunch of dinner sometime would be great while you are here.

Check with hotels.com for some rates. They buy rooms in bulk and re-sell to you and me. Sometimes you can pick up a bargain. I stayed in the Club Suites hotel right downtown a while back for $150 or so... but the room was priced that way because it was next to the elevator.

-Skip

I stayed in downtown Chi-town a couple weeks ago at the Essex Hotel for $250/night and that was one of the least expensive rooms I could find with two double beds. The room was fairly small but OK and the hotel is within walking distance of the Shed Aquarium, Field Meuseum, and Alder Planetarium (all those neat attractions that used to be right next to Meigs). The only downsides were the internet was $4/day, and it was almost exactly halfway between stops on the El (four blocks either way).

vontresc said:
Remember Chicago traffic is getting to be almost as bad as LA

Getting to be? Chicago's surpassed LA. I don't run LA a whole lot, but I've never seen LA near as bad as Chicago's been the last 2 years or so. The geniuses are working on the Tri-State and the Dan Ryan at the same time, just to make sure that nobody misses out. Next, I bet they're gonna tear the entire loop to shreds as soon as they start on the next phase of the Tri-(togoanywhereelsebutthis)State.

Pete
(no longer living in FIB land ;) )

Once a FIB, always a FIB. J/K ;)

I stayed at the Hotel Raphael about 2 years ago when I was in town for a Buffett show. It was only a block or two off Michigan Ave and almost directly across from the Hancock building. I booked it through Hotels.com and got a really nice suite for $90 a night. The hotel is a very cozy with an old renaissance feel to it. Cheap and nice and close to the action - might be worth checking it out.

smigaldi said:
As in Jimmy or all you can eat? :D:D

Well, Jimmy of course!

"Lookin' back at the background tryin' to figure out how I ever got here"

Well my friends I am sorry to report that im not going to be able to make it to Chi town THIS weekend :( I think the whole process is going to be a bit more then i want to spend. My GF has to go to the Columbian consulate (yes she's columbian) and right now she's living in Detroit.... so i was thinking of driving to the one in Chicago with her. There is one in Boston so im just going to fly her out there and meet her there this weekend. I have family in Boston so ill just stay with them. OH well.. next time right?!

Darrell111 said:
Well my friends I am sorry to report that im not going to be able to make it to Chi town THIS weekend ...
Dis is good. We keep telling you dat duh mare don't want yer type in da city.

mikea said:
Dis is good. We keep telling you dat duh mare don't want yer type in da city.

I know he dosent.. im sure going to try and fly up there one day though ;) JUST cause i can :D

Back