Chicago Area TFRs

Actually CAP aircraft are owned by the USAF. We are remined of that at numerous squadron meetings.
I was told getting a plan entered, approved and the aircraft released for flight was about as difficult as getting launched from a carrier. Well, not quite but the number of people and processes involved made it seem so.

President-elect Obama used Midway in "Change One" or whatever it was called.

Attachments

• obama28_16775541.jpg
    obama28_16775541.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 22
Oooh look at those Cu. that looks like on hell of a soaring day :D

Actually CAP aircraft are owned by the USAF. We are remined of that at numerous squadron meetings.
OK, but they are civil registered aircraft, not military, and thus the FAA considers them the same as any other civil aircraft, right?

OK, but they are civil registered aircraft, not military, and thus the FAA considers them the same as any other civil aircraft, right?
For USCG Aux the FAA considers us military when we are under orders. Our civil registered and privately owned aircraft will fly without using the N-number and instead uses a USCG number (CGX###) and callsign (Cost Guard AuxAir YYY). We also placard our planes as official USCG planes when we are under orders. But we get no special passes on TFRs or other restrictions without coordination witht eh controllijng agencies. I did go look in our AirOps manual to see about callsigns if we were to use CG1 or CGAuxAir1 and all that is talked about is VIP codes for POTUS, VPOTUS, and others. But really, what is the likelihood of any POTUS getting on a CAP or USCG Aux plane? pretty colse to zero I would say.

For USCG Aux the FAA considers us military when we are under orders
I suspect that is not true for anything but call signs -- I doubt you are waived of the FAA rules for certification, documents, inspections, currencies, fuel requirements, etc.

I suspect that is not true for anything but call signs -- I doubt you are waived of the FAA rules for certification, documents, inspections, currencies, fuel requirements, etc.
For ATC purposes, which is the topic we are talking about. I have not seen any discussion of certification, currencies, or fuel, etc. mentioned nor claimed by any one in this discussion.

No TFR can hold back the average idiotic Chicago driver:

As the motorcade pulled onto Van Buren, towards the Loop, a couple in a tan sedan tried to drive around the heavily-armed line of vehicles, wrote pool reporter P.J. Hufstutter of the Los Angeles Times:

The SUV cut the car off immediately, and the security team aimed their weapons at the car

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/06/obamas-motorcade-interrup_n_141966.html

I can see myself daydreaming and not being aware of what was ahead, but I think all of the flashing lights and the cops hitting me with the spotlights just might tell me to pull over, which I do all the time anyway.

Like I say, in some parts around here, stop signs are for the other guy and just a suggestion for you...and get of the horn! I'M TALKING ON THE PHONE! :mad:

No TFR can hold back the average idiotic Chicago driver:

I can see myself daydreaming and not being aware of what was ahead, but I think all of the flashing lights and the cops hitting me with the spotlights just might tell me to pull over, which I do all the time anyway.

I think this is cure for daydreaming:

Nice set of David Clarks.

:eek:

There's another Chicago TFR 11/6 -11/13

small_8_8116.gif

http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_8_8116.html

Two miles radius and up to 3000 feet. It's small enough that you could still fly the lakeshore VFR route if you head a couple miles into the lake near downtown. I suspect that one mile of the radius on the east is over land. From State Street to the lakeshore well is over a statute mile.

Been there. Risked my life doing that on a hazy day.

Trying to get a hotel room this week is proving impossible too. Every hotel is booked solid unless I want to pay $600+/night at the Ritz, then they have two rooms available, or stay at one of the no-tell motel flea trap places west and south of the loop, nothing above three stars is available.

Trying to get a hotel room this week is proving impossible too. Every hotel is booked solid unless I want to pay $600+/night at the Ritz, then they have two rooms available, or stay at one of the no-tell motel flea trap places west and south of the loop, nothing above three stars is available.

Must be a lotta press, staffers, and wanna bees still camped out. Barack is good for the Chicago hospitality industry. Dammit. We know Duh Mare don't want people here.

I don't get it. According to "The West Wing" President-elect Santos and staff get offices in the OEOB across the street from the White House. :wink2:

Last edited:
Santos and Josh had some pull with the current adminsitration. :)

Back