Chicago Area TFRs

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Please watch out, today is already affecting airspace in the Chicago area and who know what may happen later today and tomorrow.

Right now we have several TFRs for VIPs in place. Check NOTAMS carefully.

8-7428.gif

Weird. I guess the southernmost one is Obama's house and we can look for that one to become familiar.

Why did they need two in Grant Park?

Weird. I guess the southernmost one is Obama's house and we can look for that one to become familiar.

Why did they need two in Grant Park?
One is by the Obama campaign HQ the other is for some sort of celebration going on at Grant park tonight. Not sure what that is all about! :ihih:

One is by the Obama campaign HQ the other is for some sort of celebration going on at Grant park tonight. Not sure what that is all about! :ihih:

Oh, yeah? Where is the Obama campaign HQ? The Hilton or Hyatt?

The outdoor celebration tonight is going to be very large. There will likely be 100,000 +/- people in Grant Park (it is a huge place) watching/awaiting the election returns. Evidently they need to be protected from GA. The candidate, himself, will be behind a wall of bulletproof glass. :D

The outdoor celebration tonight is going to be very large. There will likely be 100,000 +/- people in Grant Park (it is a huge place) watching/awaiting the election returns. Evidently they need to be protected from GA. The candidate, himself, will be behind a wall of bulletproof glass. :D
70,000 in Grant park, if there are extras they will not be allowed into the park.

70,000 in Grant park, if there are extras they will not be allowed into the park.

Oh yeah? You ever seen a turnstile in Grant Park?

You ever notice that if Taste of Chicago goes 8 days or 4, rain, snow, or sun, they always say a million people attended? :fingerwag:

Sounds like what they said at Max Yasgur's farm. That worked...

...not.
Well, I'd say it's a bit of a different ballgame with the CPD and the Secret Service handling security for this deal. But... Hah! Now there's an image: The Secret Service and the CPD keeping a few hundred thousand hippies out of Grant Park! :rofl:

Er, actually... That sounds a little familiar... :hairraise:

This is just the start if Obama gets elected!
If you're talking about TFR's in Chicago, I suspect you are correct. If anything, I expect a heightened level of concern inside the Secret Service compared to any previous administration, given the unprecedented level of threats against Obama all the way back to the end of last year.

This is just the start if Obama gets elected!

If you're talking about TFR's in Chicago, I suspect you are correct. If anything, I expect a heightened level of concern inside the Secret Service compared to any previous administration, given the unprecedented level of threats against Obama all the way back to the end of last year.
It is already starting.

Crawford, we hardly knew ye. Glad somebody else is getting a turn in the TFR barrel.

Well, I'd say it's a bit of a different ballgame with the CPD and the Secret Service handling security for this deal. But... Hah! Now there's an image: The Secret Service and the CPD keeping a few hundred thousand hippies out of Grant Park! :rofl:

Er, actually... That sounds a little familiar... :hairraise:

well, looks like Dick Daley's getting his wish for a TFR over Chicago, altho, perhaps, not the way he wanted/expected it.

I wish they would just get rid of the TFRs. What part of Temporary don't
they grasp?

I wish they would just get rid of the TFRs. What part of Temporary don't they grasp?
Unless and until the US Secret Service Presidential Protection Group is relieved of responsibility for protecting the President from aerial attack, it ain't gonna change. They currently have all the incentive in the world to use TFR's for that purpose (that's their job -- their only job, and the fastest way to get fired is to let anything happen or even nearly happen to the President), and zero incentive to allow anything that makes even the slightest increase in risk (they don't get promoted for making life easier for GA pilots).

Also, the reason they use TFR's is that it takes too long to go through the process to approve permanent special use airspace -- like years -- and they don't have that sort of lead time in their system.

OMG! Think about this. When we had a Presidential visit they would close O'Hare and the Kennedy Expressway for the motorcade, even during rush hour.

NOW HE MIGHT BE COMING HOME TO CHICAGO OFTEN. :yikes:

TFRs are the least of it.

The public (voters!) will be affected, too.

attachment.php

Midway is closer to the house!

It would have been great if there was a small airport on the lakefront to use with Marine One. :mad3:

Last edited:
The frequency at which President Obama (gosh I like the sound of that) comes home to Chicago will say something strong about the character of the man. He has to know that every time he does he makes life hard for all those Chicagoans. We'll see exactly how much he cares about us little people.

Reagan was once asked why he didn't go to church as President. He replied that he like going to church, but he didn't want to ruin it for everyone else. I didn't agree with Reagan, but I do have respect for his memory.

BTW AF1 cannot land at MDW due to the runway lengths and security issues. If he comes it will be to ORD and will involve a helo ride to MDW and then motorcade to his house as the most likely scenario.

BTW AF1 cannot land at MDW due to the runway lengths and security issues.
If you're speaking of the 747 that normally carries the President (note that any Air Force aircraft with the President aboard is AF1), they've subbed in a 757 (well, a C-32, actually, but that's a 757-200 in AF paint with a bit of extra gear aboard) several times for smaller airports.

If you're speaking of the 747 that normally carries the President (note that any Air Force aircraft with the President aboard is AF1), they've subbed in a 757 (well, a C-32, actually, but that's a 757-200 in AF paint with a bit of extra gear aboard) several times for smaller airports.

I'll give him a call and we'll make AF1 a Cherokee to Lansing. Got room and capacity for an SS guy and pickle codes, too. :D

Last edited:
I'll give him a call and we'll make AF1 a Cherokee to Lansing Got room and capacity for an SS guy and pickle codes, too. :D
Since the USAF doesn't own any Cherokees, the call sign on this civil aircraft will be "Executive One," not AF1.

There's also the C-40, a BBJ. That will fit ok in MDW, as long as you don't land half way down...in the snow...with a tail wind...eh, you know what I mean.

>Since the USAF doesn't own any Cherokees....

what about the USAF aeroclubs? (just an idle question)

Has the Executive One callsign ever been used?
For Nixon it was used.

In 1973, to "set an example for the rest of the nation during the current energy crisis" and to "demonstrate his confidence in the airlines", then-President Richard Nixon became the only sitting president to travel on a regularly scheduled commercial airline flight when he flew on a United Airlines DC-10 from Washington Dulles International Airport to Los Angeles International Airport.[2] That flight did use the Executive One callsign.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_One

>Since the USAF doesn't own any Cherokees....

what about the USAF aeroclubs? (just an idle question)
Aero club aircraft are civil, not military, and don't use military call signs. Executive One would be appropriate for a president in an aero club plane.

It would be nice if BHO would at least make a pitch to the SS to get rid of the most usless security illusion know to man but alas on this issue he is like W.

It would be nice if BHO would at least make a pitch to the SS to get rid of the most usless security illusion know to man but alas on this issue he is like W.

How do you know that? I haven't given him a call to ask whassup yet. :D

Academic question: How 'bout Civil Air Patrol aircraft (owned by USAF)?
I do not believe CAP aircraft are owned by the USAF, rather, I think they are owned by CAP's corporation. However, my guess is that since CAP aircraft use the call sign "CAP Flight," it would be "CAP Flight One." But you'd probably have to as CAP HQ to be sure.

You talking about "random" bag searches on the DC MEtro? Or the ID checks by TSA at commercial airports? :wink2:

How do you know that? I haven't given him a call to ask whassup yet. :D

I called him yesterday around breakfast time and he said Duh Mayor told him that those pesky little planes could level all of chicago and he'd be best to keep the TFR thing going.

Your right though I'm just making a really really secure guess IMHO

I do not believe CAP aircraft are owned by the USAF, rather, I think they are owned by CAP's corporation. However, my guess is that since CAP aircraft use the call sign "CAP Flight," it would be "CAP Flight One." But you'd probably have to as CAP HQ to be sure.

Actually CAP aircraft are owned by the USAF. We are remined of that at numerous squadron meetings.

Back