Chicago Area Pilots

bstratt

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Canuck
It's been a while since I was up and the long range forecast for Sunday morning is looking good. Assuming the weather lives up to its billings, anyone interested in Janesville on Sunday morning?

It's been a while since I was up and the long range forecast for Sunday morning is looking good. Assuming the weather lives up to its billings, anyone interested in Janesville on Sunday morning?

Yeah! Provided I don't need a pre-heat. I'm still set up for the required 4 hours pre-flight (living in the city for another month only.).

Presuming the weather holds out and I can get a plane, I think I'm a go!

Kent, would you be able to join us, maybe by car if your arm is still giving problems?

Last edited:
I would..But it's just too far for me right now.

Kent, would you be able to join us, maybe by car if your arm is still giving problems?
I can go get him, but he's been flying anyway.

It's actually easier to fly than to drive, and it's not enough to ground me yet (just went flying on 12/30 and 12/31), but we have a BOD meeting for the flying club on Sunday at 11, so I'm out. :(

Re: Chicago Area Pilots - What's in Janesville Sunday?

What's in Janesville Sunday? (Anything in particular, or just an excuse to fly?).

Thanks!

Janesville has a restaurant. Since the Skyroom at Timmerman closed, airport restaurants are harder to find.
If I go, it will be at 0900.
ApacheBob

I'd probably leave 8:30-9:00 as well so I can get back early. ATC wants me to take down the outside Xmas lights this weekend!

Does he light them up all year? If not, lighten up. :rolleyes:

What's JA anyway?

JA=
chia-donkey.jpg

Yes he lights them up from time to time. Probably to celebrate a harvest from the pot he is growing outside of kids bedroom window or maybe that he has started another never to be finished upgrade to his house or that he has gotten yet another heap of junk to sit in his expanding driveway that now takes up most of the front lawn or that another of his teenage daughters has made him a grandpa again, or that the dirt track for the dirt bikes in his back yard is really cool to drive on at all hours of the day and night, or that his garbage was not sealed again and it all blew into ours and other neighbors yards, etc.

JA=
chia-donkey.jpg

Yes he lights them up from time to time. Probably to celebrate a harvest from the pot he is growing outside of kids bedroom window or maybe that he has started another never to be finished upgrade to his house or that he has gotten yet another heap of junk to sit in his expanding driveway that now takes up most of the front lawn or that another of his teenage daughters has made him a grandpa again, or that the dirt track for the dirt bikes in his back yard is really cool to drive on at all hours of the day and night, or that his garbage was not sealed again and it all blew into ours and other neighbors yards, etc.

:p You'll have to compare notes with my new neighbors.

I didn't think of the dirt track.

Okay, the 182 was booked, so I'm coming up in one of the DA-40s.
ApacheBob said:
Since the Skyroom at Timmerman closed, airport restaurants are harder to find.
Ain't that the truth. :( We've also lost Vince's and Morris lately, though I still hold out hopes for both to reopen in another guise. Timmerman still has El Greco, don't they? It's open 24 hours and, while not on the field, but is only a short walk away, IIRC.

Okay, the 182 was booked, so I'm coming up in one of the DA-40s.
Ain't that the truth. :( We've also lost Vince's and Morris lately, though I still hold out hopes for both to reopen in another guise. Timmerman still has El Greco, don't they? It's open 24 hours and, while not on the field, but is only a short walk away, IIRC.

El Greco is still there

Guys, if it works out for the following weekend, I'll be up that-a-way (in Portage).

Best,

Dave

Is this still for Sunday or did it get moved to Saturday?
Scott, AFAIK, it's still on for Sunday.

I'm planning to be there. Ceilings today really didn't support it either (at least around here) , and there was a PIREP for mod. icing from a 210 in the JVL area at 3000' & below.

When I get there, I plan to do a couple of practice approaches, then land, so will probably be leaving here around 9:00.

What's the best place to park for the CAVU cafe? Should I just tell the controllers I'm parking at the cafe?

[edit: oops, this is really Grant using Leslie's computer. Hope she doesn't find out :)]

Last edited:
Scott, AFAIK, it's still on for Sunday.

I'm planning to be there. Ceilings today really didn't support it either (at least around here) , and there was a PIREP for mod. icing from a 210 in the JVL area at 3000' & below.

When I get there, I plan to do a couple of practice approaches, then land, so will probably be leaving here around 9:00.

What's the best place to park for the CAVU cafe? Should I just tell the controllers I'm parking at the cafe?

Yep. You can park right outside the door of the cafe building. Tell the tower where you want to go.

I'm going to try making it by 9. That means I have to be on the road at around 6. *sigh*

[edit: oops, this is really Grant using Leslie's computer. Hope she doesn't find out :)]

The cafe is right in the terminal building. Plenty of parking and easy to find.

Is this still for Sunday or did it get moved to Saturday?

Still Sunday. I'll be leaving here around 8:30 -9:00 so I should be there by 10:00.

Grant, when asked for destination just say "Taxi to the restaurant".

I'm hoping Doc Bruce will be joining us!

Okay (posting from my account this time :)), if we're planning to be there by 10:00, I'll plan on leaving around 8:00 to give time to get some approaches in. Mike, you can sleep in an extra hour! Bruce, I hope you make it! Bring your wife!

I'm scanning through all the posts, looking for somewhere to go tomorrow. So, if the coffee is fresh, I may fly in from Cleveland. A flight across Lake Michigan may be just the ticket.

Blue and White TB20

Gary Gembala

I'm scanning through all the posts, looking for somewhere to go tomorrow. So, if the coffee is fresh, I may fly in from Cleveland. A flight across Lake Michigan may be just the ticket.

Blue and White TB20

Gary Gembala
Allright, 10:00 it is. Barry, Susan wants to know if your spouse is coming.....

Allright, 10:00 it is. Barry, Susan wants to know if your spouse is coming.....

I'll mention Susan asked but when I asked yesterday the answer was no, she says she can have breakfast at home so why risk her neck flying! As time has moved on she has gotten more and more nervous. As a matter of fact I'm planning a trip this summer and she's saying she will fly commercial to meet me!

HEAVY morning fog, 8AM, waiting for some sun.

Ditto, HEAVY fog here (can barely see neighbor's house across the street!) also heaviest frost of the year. I'm off to check the weather report.

EDIT - forecast for here has fog (or mist as they refer to it) lifting around 8:00am with 20,000 ft scattered by 9:00am - Rockford also has mist and is forecasting 20,000 ft by 8:00am so it seems to be moving SE

Last edited:
Looking out the window we don't have fog, though the visibility isn't wonderful. I think it's at least the 1 1/2 they're reporting at LOT, though. Leslie and I'll head off to the airport in a few minutes. If the plane wasn't hangared overnight, it may be a while before we can get it frost-free.

Heavy fog with lots of frost up here in the north country. Have not checked any forecast but you may have some FZFG around these parts to deal with. I have to drive over the North Chicago Naval Station this morning and hope it burns off pretty soon.

JVL is CAVU just now....going to the airport. Hope to see you guys.

Bummer! Decided not to go - don't know if I'm too cautious or what.

As at 10:00am DPA was still reporting 200 ft ceilings and 2 1/2 mile visibility but I could see patches of blue sky straight up. Phoned FSS who advised there was an airmet for IFR and icing until noon. Apparently DPA lies in the "Fox River Valley bowl". It was extremely frustrating knowing that to the south, north, east, and west things were okay. I thought that if I could take off and climb above it quickly I'd be okay, but being under the O'Hare shelf I wasn't sure I could get above it. I suppose I could have taken off and tried it and returned if unable but I just decided breakfast wasn't worth it. Also, as the Arrow isn't equipped for flight into known icing the airmet gave me pause. Would you have done it?

Back