Chicago area avionics shop?

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
I need an avionics shop to put head under panel and looks for broken wire and tell me why ATC says I'm unreadable sometimes. I also have a dead EI annunciator and the clearance recorder on my FlightCom intercom.

I called J.A. Air Center. Their guy told me my old stainless steel antennas may be the ones that have a lobed pattern and I'd need a new set. Installing new ones is major work and he suggests I do it during annual. I was mostly confident with what he told me. The good part is I think I can drop off the plane at DPA and get to work or home with a cab ride to the station and one or two long train rides.

Otherwise I may as well send my TKM Michel radios in to them for check out and service.

Anybody have any suggestions for Chicago area shops where you have a recent experience?

Last edited:
Not sure where they are located in reference to you, but the Radio Ranch in Rock Falls, IL does a great job and reasonably priced.

Recent experience is with Mobile Mike from 3CK. He troubleshot a broken wire in my plane on comm1. He replaced same as well. The nice thing is he comes to you. The second place would be the Avionic Place over at KRFD. I have not worked with them but some friends have and are happy. People I know who have worked with JA express surprise at the $$$ to quality factor. But I have no direct experience with them except on a quote that they really bungled.

I second Mike at Mobile Avionics (3CK). He did the work on my old Cherokee 140 a few years back and I couldn't have been happier.

He actually has his plane in the hangar next to me and I saw him the other day at 10C. We talked about my Garmin 430 WAAS upgrade and connecting my 496 to the 430. I wouldn't want anyone else if he is available.

Great guy and reasonable. I have his number if you need it. I think it also might be on airnav.com under 3CK.

Good Luck,

Allan

I second Mike at Mobile Avionics (3CK). He did the work on my old Cherokee 140 a few years back and I couldn't have been happier.

He actually has his plane in the hangar next to me and I saw him the other day at 10C. We talked about my Garmin 430 WAAS upgrade and connecting my 496 to the 430. I wouldn't want anyone else if he is available.

Great guy and reasonable. I have his number if you need it. I think it also might be on airnav.com under 3CK.

Good Luck,

Allan

Pretty funny.

I got burned by "Mobile Mike" long ago when he worked on my radios before he was certified to do more than static system and transponder checks.

I guess I need to give him a second chance.

Mike, go to JA. They're pricey but they're not done until it works right.

sigh.

Mike, go to JA. They're pricey but they're not done until it works right.

sigh.

*sigh* Somebody stop me.

It occurred to me that if I'm going to have surgery done for new antennas, I should make the leap and put in a 430...and an STEC 30....and a new audio panel...and a new transponder. :hairraise:

*sigh* Somebody stop me.

It occurred to me that if I'm going to have surgery done for new antennas, I should make the leap and put in a 430...and an STEC No, for that you can get an instrument rating, mike....

BMI? Who are they? No, seriously Scott, they're trying. But they ARE trying.

Not good that you were burned. I would have a hard time giving someone a second chance.

Allan

Mike, if I and the plane are available when you bring yours in I can give you a lift back to your field. I'm only available on weekends though.

*sigh* Somebody stop me.

It occurred to me that if I'm going to have surgery done for new antennas, I should make the leap and put in a 430...and an STEC
No, for that you can get an instrument rating, mike....

The COST of the IR hasn't been the problem. The time was. Now that I'm close I might be able to pull it off.

The VORs, GS work, and the ADF supposedly is a quick fix, so I could get by with what I have and get a 496/596 whatevah. It's just that since I have to hand fly, I just don't get to brag about my accuracy like youse guys who use the autopilot. :rolleyes:

How concerned should I be about TTL rot on 20+ year old radios and transponder?

Last edited:
mike i teach IFR and fly IFR in airplanes with 20+ yr old radios all the time. usually everything works.

you can hand fly just as accurately as an autopilot, and you'll have something up on the guy who always uses his autopilot - you'll be able to hand fly. that said an autopilot is a great way to lower the workload.

The Avionics Place at Rockford is not cheap, but I have had good luck with them. :blueplane:
ApacheBob

Mike, if I and the plane are available when you bring yours in I can give you a lift back to your field. I'm only available on weekends though.

Thanks, Barry.

I may wait a while.

Back