Chicago Approach

mpartovi

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
mpartovi
Alright ladies and gents...I haven't flown with Chicago approach for quite some time...and never IFR with them...so heres some questions for ya:

I really like radio comms....and im pretty good IFR...but when it comes to VFR and they ask what my intentions are, I conveniently have a brain fart. (go figure).

When I'm comin in VFR...and im intending on just flying north along the shoreline...(scenic flight) and then turn back south and leave Class C...what am I requesting? (yes, this sounds very easy and almost a stupid question...but I hate keying the mike without having a good idea of what im saying...just seems like a waste of their time).

Next, flying IFR. I've always flown IFR right out of Class C airspace...so im good with the procedures with that; but now, im taking off from 1C5 (Clow-Class E). Whats the best thing to do? Call for a clearance/clearance limit...then get ready and takeoff??? -OR- Can I takeoff if able; then get my clearance in the air?

Which is better????

mpartovi said:
When I'm comin in VFR...and im intending on just flying north along the shoreline...(scenic flight) and then turn back south and leave Class C...what am I requesting? (yes, this sounds very easy and almost a stupid question...but I hate keying the mike without having a good idea of what im saying...just seems like a waste of their time).

It has been my expierence that if you are coming into Chicago App coverage area VFR and are getting flight following you will not be given a hand off. Instead you will be told that FF is cancelled, squawk VFR, etc. Then you will attempt to re-establish on Chi-App frequency for that area and will be told to remain clear of the class B and likely told unable to provide services. BTW there is no Class C along the lake front. If you are flying through Midway' Class C once you leave and want to come back through just ask again for a transistion. Be prepared to not get it, and you will then have to fly the Eisenhower VFR transistion and remain clear of the Class C and B airspace. Get the terminal chart to help you out with this.

On the lake front remain below the Class B, Keep looking out towards the lake to see if any low flying traffic is coming into Palwaukee and look for all the other VFR traffic that is squeezed down thanks to Chicago-App not wanting to let any VFR into Class B or provide FF along the lake front. I also monitor 122.75/85 to see if there is any body around and all the landing lights are lite up on my plane.

Next, flying IFR. I've always flown IFR right out of Class C airspace...so im good with the procedures with that; but now, im taking off from 1C5 (Clow-Class E). Whats the best thing to do? Call for a clearance/clearance limit...then get ready and takeoff??? -OR- Can I takeoff if able; then get my clearance in the air?

Which is better????

Around Chicago if you can depart VFR do so and pick up your clearence in the air. Get used to the O'Hare entry and exit points as no matter what you have filled you will be vectored to them. Generally trafic leaving O'Hare leaves on a North, East, South, West Nav point and enters on the NW, NE, SE, and SW points.

While the MDW CCA does not include the lakeshore, you can call MDW (after listening to the ATIS to determine the correct frequency) and they will provide RADAR services. Whether or not you get to go through the CCA will depend on the current or anticipated traffic. A week or so ago a C210 got to fly from the SW directly over the airport, up to the city for his tour then back SW bound with a T&G on 22. It does happen at times. If you are going to fly the Eisenhower keep your eyes open, it is a very popular flyway and not much altitude to work with. MDW RADAR will work you along there as well and provide traffic advisories.

mpartovi said:
Alright ladies and gents...I haven't flown with Chicago approach for quite some time...and never IFR with them...so heres some questions for ya:

Hard to tell if you mean Chicago Approach (O'Hare, Class B) or Midway Approach (Class C on the south side). I've honestly never talked to Midway Approach, but Mike is a controller there so you can't get any better advice than what he gave.

If you mean Chicago Approach, fuhgeddaboutit. VFR, they usually won't even answer your calls. No traffic advisories on the lakefront from them. (Not sure how far north MDW's coverage goes on the shore.) In fact, ChiApp is bad enough with VFR folks that Chicago Center will advise you different routes to take to keep you in Center airspace, 'cuz they know you'll get nothing from ChiApp.

IFR, if you're not going into an airport near Chicago you'll be given a clearance that keeps you out of their airspace as well, usually to KELSI or SHOOF and then back on course via airways or direct if so equipped. I've only heard of one person who was transiting the area and got cleared through their space - In a Seneca at 2 or 3 AM. (They musta been bored.)

Now, if you're going IFR into/out of Clow, you will probably do OK. I got cleared to JOT via airways (sorry, forget which numbers - RFD, then south to PLL? then over to JOT from the west) and then the VOR-A approach without any trouble at all, 6 or 7 PM on a weekend.

Leaving, you probably do want to take off VFR and pick it up in the air if wx permits. Otherwise, your void time is likely to be extremely short in that airspace. Again, probably easier on a weekend, IIRC you'll be on the same frequency as all the folks coming out of DPA which has heavy bizjet traffic during the week.

I think there's someone on the board who's based at 1C5, they can probably give you even better info.

BTW If I am on the ground and cannot depart IFR from my airfield I telephone Chi-App to get my clearence. The phone number I have been using is 847.289.1326 or 847.289.0926

wow....thanks guys. I love taking in different opinions on procedures, even if they are similar.

Now its time to brush off that rust and get my BFR/IPC scheduled.

:hairraise:

Back