Chi-TRACON Evacuated

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
There has been some really bad WX this whole week but today some really bad stuff blew through. No tornado but ORD did clock 70knot winds. The Chicago TRACON, which is just a few miles form my house had to be evacuated today due to severity of the storm. Ground stops at ORD and MDW, I am sure PWK and the rest of the Chi airports were not getting thing up and out or in either. Things are getting back to normal. Still nasty stuff on the SW sides of the Chicago area though and everyone has a lot of water with flooding in several spots.

Re: Chi-TRACON Evactuated

I thought the TRACON was underground. Guess not.

I thought "DEEP TUNNEL" was supposed to control that....

I thought "DEEP TUNNEL" was supposed to control that....

In the burbs, yeah.

The rain blockers in the city - restrictors on the sewers - undid whatever deep tunnel was supposed to do.

Well, they DO have a BUNKER mentality, so the confusion is understandable.... ;)

This front is HUGE. Albuquerque to Lake Huron....

Elgin is.....C90! ...as if they needed THAT, TOO.

2 hours commute today and I still could not get to work. All the lights were out near Rt53, Rt12, Lake Cook and Dundee. Finally turned around as I was not making any forward progress. Ont eh way back the bridge over the Fox River on Rt 14 was all backed up cause of power outages. So I headed north to the next crossing. Rawson bridge rd was under water. The Fox had over flowed its banks and the marina was completely underwater. There were no signs of the docks anywhere.

Ottumwa got 6-8 inches of rain last night, a couple tornado warnings in the area, and now our water has to be boiled to be drinkable. That is, what water is left. The city says that there is little water left and if it drops below some certain pressure, they have to decontaminate the whole system, which would mean five days of no water.

I don't know what you folks got up north but whatever it was it must have taken a U-turn and came south to kick Atlanta's hot butt. I spent two hours this afternoon tracking from northeast to west and it followed me! Radar was showing severe storm warning markings across the entire northern part of Atlanta. I think the "warning" part was uncalled for. The severe storm was already happening. Running into an entire area of traffic lights out of service during rush hour... isn't fun!

Tom Skilling on the radio this morning said that one theory is that we have so much more, and more dense varieties of corn. I think he said the research showed that one acres can put 1400 gallons of water a day into the air. It's the moisture that is causing the killer T-Storms.

Blame Tony's corn.

He also said it's the most rain since the floods of 1987....which were the floods that knocked in the basement door and put 4 feet of water into the basement of my new house. When the original owner told me that I kept telling myself, "Can't happen again. Right? Right?" :dunno: :(

Back