CHF (wife)

U

Unregistered

My wife is having problems, I'm concerned that it is congestive heart failure. She is substantially overweight, 48yo. Frequently experiences swelling of the feet and ankles. We tried to do some walking over the weekend, she had problems going very far, especially in heat of the day, had swelling not only in ankles but hands as well. No shortness of breath or coughing though. Tries to lose weight but has a very hard time of it. She is VERY hard-headed about going to the doctor.

I'm more than a little worried about it, I really want her to deal with this and take it seriously now rather than later. Need advice on what to do other than tell her to work on her will.

Not a doctor but...

One thing I've learned in my short life (so far, anyway) is that our bodies talk to us in a variety of ways. Pain and discomfort are signs that something is not right. Hard headed or not, doctors know more than most of us about stuff that's going on inside our bodies. Go or find out the hard way.

Anonymous said:
My wife is having problems, I'm concerned that it is congestive heart failure. She is substantially overweight, 48yo. Frequently experiences swelling of the feet and ankles. We tried to do some walking over the weekend, she had problems going very far, especially in heat of the day, had swelling not only in ankles but hands as well. No shortness of breath or coughing though. Tries to lose weight but has a very hard time of it. She is VERY hard-headed about going to the doctor.

I'm more than a little worried about it, I really want her to deal with this and take it seriously now rather than later. Need advice on what to do other than tell her to work on her will.

You are right to be concerned, and she clearly needs to see a health care provider. But things may not be as serious as you fear. Overweight people, especially those who also have poor aerobic conditioning (which is an issue in most but not all overweight persons--the two conditions are linked but not the same) may have edema that is positional, not related to cardiac functioning. The absence of shortness of breath on exercise is somewhat reassuring.

On the other hand, it sounds like your wife is at high risk of serious cardiovascular disease, whether or not it is causing her present problems. I hope you can convince her to get care. Good luck--

Hunter (MD, not AME)

Last edited:
Anonymous said:
I really want her to deal with this and take it seriously now rather than later. Need advice on what to do other than tell her to work on her will.
Needs a chest x-ray. Doc can't help you if you don't go to the doc.... sigh.

May be as simple as nighttime oxygen, as hard as limiting salt intake (it's everywhere), or might require medication. Sigh.

How do you motivate people (including oneself!) about their own health? Tough Q. I have known a few that ended up flat on their back in ICU with all the tubes and wires before they will get motivated. Then there are a bunch that had all the correct advise but will not change their ways. I have a family member who was told, "you are going to have another heart attack if you don't take 2 weeks vacation RIGHT NOW." Two days later, they are rushing around appontments, calls, staff meetings and have not let up since. Bottle of nitroG always open. Nice knowin' ya.
Good luck. Maybe a family 'intervention'?!

Dave,

The motivation question is difficult. I treat cancer patients nd the motivation is closer to black and white. Get treated and improve survival and most important quality of life.

In cases that do not seem as critical, each person has to ask "How debilitated am I willing to get before I do something?". Hopefully, it doesn't reach a critical mass.

I am 53 yoa and can still keep up with my 19 year old, or should I say he can now keep up with me. It takes a lot of work to stay strong and healthy.

I just like living and feeling like a horse. It's all a matter of choice. See a doctor with problems and change your lifestyle. It's an individual choice.

Joe

The symptoms sound very much like my wife's. Her diagnosis is overweight and diabetic. She has heart problems now, but the others occured first and several docs have indicated that they may have led to the heart stuff.

Do whatever it takes to get her checked out!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back