Chevy Volt

Jesse - show me a $15000 car that in 3 years will be worth much more than $5? I know - I know - its still $5k but the Volt benefits here in California are tangible and real - and include the HOV lane - this takes 30 min off my wife's commute every day. 2.5 hours a week - 45 weeks a year - thats almost a week of time spent at home . . . and if you buy a $15k car 0 you are driving an ugly old and little $15k car. . ..

Yes - we own a Volt - there was ZERO final assembly under warranty. The vehicle ran as advertised since day 1. Cost was about $38.5 Cap Cost - leased 15,000 miles a year for $378 a month including tax for 36 months. $7500 off the lease from the Feds, $1500 check from the State of California - we have a vehicle charging plan with the power company - and our power bill so far is exactly the same as it was in 2011-2012 period - yes - EXACTLY the same within $100 - why? We pay way less for power between 6p and 10a than we did before - and so far with the solar panels on roof generating 3kWh about 10 hours a day we co-generate in the most expensive part of the day, meaning the power we sell back at 48 cents per kWh peak more than offsets the additional power the car uses. YMMV - literally - but the cost of the power for the car so far has been free from the rate changes. If we did not co-generate I expect we'd see a significantly higher bill.

Its my wife's car - she drives 70 miles a day - gets 45 miles from a charge. Gasoline for 25 miles a day and gets about 40mpg so from a DOC it costs us $2.56 a day or 3.6cents per mile for power/gas. . . . you can not beat that with a stick.

Plus - her company gives us $675 a month car allowance - so it costs us nothing in real life except the taxes on the money.

I would LOVE to see a Volt frame pick up - I'd buy one - it would last forever - put it on the S10 body - which was a great little pick up in its day- if you can find an S-10 or a 1980's Ranger or Mazda/Toyota small pick up they are worth more today that they cost.
Seriously. 15k car old and ugly. Ygtbsm, you can buy 1 to 2 year old cars that are the same generation as the latest year with 30k miles or less for 15k. That's not old and ugly.

Even 15k is ridiculous in my mind. Tomorrow I am buying a new to me car for $1,500.

As to your challenge that's incredibly easy. Have you actually looked at car prices?

I just found:

2012 Honda Civic LX, 10k miles, $16,000
2009 Honda Civic LX, 85k miles, $14,000

Many examples of that. So you own it for three years, put 75k miles on it, and then sell it for a total loss of $2,000.

Yeah, leasing new, makes total sense..., :dunno:

Last edited:
Can the Volt be run indefinitely on the gas engine, without ever plugging it in?

I know that sounds crazy, but what if you live in an apartment with no way to recharge it?

HEY, buy it. They screwed the taxpayers out of 13 BILLION, (BILLION!!) so what the hell, buy the freaking thing. Drive with pride......:nono:

I guess that my standards are different - a 2012 Civic is great little car . . .

I agree with the whole leasing vs. buying when the sole determination is financial . . . and FWIW we don't buy new, only late model off lease CPO. The reasoning for our lease was HOV access - we would never have bought it otherwise.

Last edited:
If you are thinking of leasing, then Volt could be an attractive deal. You can get one for about $300 per month with $0 drive off. Some folks are not comfortable with lease, and Volt is not for them.

Volt has both gas engine and electric motor, but contrary to popular misinformation gas engine is not connected to the drive train. The sole purpose of gas engine is to recharge the battery which powers the electric motor.

Volt can be run without being plugged in. That way you get about 300 miles with a full tank of 9.3 gallons. Full charge takes about 9 hours on 120V outlet. It takes anywhere between 30 to 40 miles for the battery to be depleted and gas engine starts up to recharge the battery.

Volt drives pretty solid. The fit and finish is much better than similarly sized economy cars. Drawing any comparison between Volt and Cruze is just plain uninformed. It's as if the Volt designers wanted to mimic German ride to attract younger buyers. It's got very firm seats, and tight suspension and steering feel. It feels quite similar to VW Golf, although not as firm as GTI.

We own [lease] a Volt - we average about 80mpg cause the wife drives it 70 miles a day, and gets about 45miles out of the electricity. She leases it for car pool lane access - the only reason.

Oh you must live in california.

I did always enjoy parking my lifted V8 Jeep with mud tires in the "fuel efficient vehicles only" spaces.

If you are thinking of leasing, then Volt could be an attractive deal. You can get one for about $300 per month with $0 drive off. Some folks are not comfortable with lease, and Volt is not for them.

If you are going to lease, be sure to check out the mileage requirements. The standard is sub 12,000 mi per year. I will easily double that figure in 2013

If you are going to lease, be sure to check out the mileage requirements. The standard is sub 12,000 mi per year. I will easily double that figure in 2013

Leasing is not for everyone, actually nationwide Ford leases about 10-15% of their new vehicles. Certain areas are more lease friendly, both tax and mileage wise, the northeast US has a higher % than some other states. Texas is in it's own world on leasing, actually Ford didn't lease there for years and I am not sure if they do now or not.:dunno:
Our dealership leases 2 or 3 new vehicles per month out of 50+ new sales, it depends on the deal being offered and the customers circumstances. Some vehicles tend to lease better than others, like the Volt, cheap lease and you have no obligation at the end of the term other than bring it back in good condition. :D The best lease deals are minimum cash out of pocket and a payment less than an extended term buy. ;) We don't push leasing, I like them for certain vehicles and customers, but they definitely aren't for everyone. :D

Oh you must live in california.

I did always enjoy parking my lifted V8 Jeep with mud tires in the "fuel efficient vehicles only" spaces.

Yep - park where ever you want . .. we could care less. We are not parking space snobs - in fact I usually park further out to avoid the grammies who can't judge distance anymore and the mothers in minivans who are not paying attention anyway.

Back