chevy fans

What part of "stop" didn't the Ford driver understand? :rofl:

CAL%20CHEVY.jpg

This only proves who did the best job of modifying the trucks. An obvious structural issue with the Chevy........but then it was a Chevy. :D

This only proves who did the best job of modifying the trucks. An obvious structural issue with the Chevy........but then it was a Chevy. :D

I'd bet GM is wishing he would have used a different make truck.

the Chevy has a great motor, but they have never made a great chassis. My Son in laws Chev Diesel is quieter than a Ford, But the Ford is a better tow rig. If you want a good street truck the Chev will do. If you do real heavy duty work, get the Ford. The older 1/2 tons(chev) will buckle the frame if you load it too heavy behind the axle. (seen it happen) Dave

Big trucks...little peckers...

While 1/2 ton trucks aren't "real trucks", here's a data point for ya.

When I was at FedEx (1999 to 2004) we bought 1/2 ton chevy trucks for our yards but 3/4 ton Fords. The reason being that the 1/2 ton Fords couldn't carry a snow plow because the truck's front suspension simply wasn't beefy enough...the Chevy was.

But personally I like 'em both. The Chevy is more comfortable for me.

OTOH I've hated every Dodge I've owned (3).

Dodge fan here. My 99 diesel has 300k miles on it. I bought a Cummins and they threw the Dodge in so I could move it. ;)

Slow learner?

:D

Yeah!

But I also had a BiL who worked for Dodge so I got employee pricing (green sheet) for about 25 years. I'd swear them off and then be lured back later by the great deal. Not only trucks...cars and jeeps too.

My last Dodge was a fully decked out 2008 3/4t cummins 4x4. Most uncomfortable tuck I've ever owned. I also went through 3 turbos in less than 60k miles @ about $5k to $8k each (depending on how many other sensors, particulate filters, and other ancillary components it took with it when it failed). There was no way in hell I was going to own that truck once the 100k mi. warranty expired. After about 2.5 years and 72,000mi it was gone!

My 2002 Dodge/cummins never skipped a beat in 157k the truck was wore out, but the cummins was still hammering away, It would do every thing except sneak around.

Sure looks like the Chevy owner didn't use some heavier hardware to attach that big-reduction diff with the huge wheels. Probably used stock U-bolts. And a stock frame. None of it could take the torque.

My dad owned a Ford half ton, mid-80s or so, that had a weak frame. Ford had punched big lightening holes in the frame web, and in BC where the loggers buy lots of Fords and put the portable diesel tanks in the back for filling their 'dozers and skidders, that frame would fail behind the cab on rough roads. The frame flanges would buckle into the lightening holes. Ford fixed that real quick. Must have cost them a bundle.

I owned ONE Dodge pickup. A '78. Once was enough to learn this lesson, but I had it for four years while I learned it. To be fair, 1978 was a really bad time for Chrysler. But it left such a bad taste that I still say that Dodges are a waste of good paint.

Big joke around here (Western Canada) is that Dodge is the only truck with a heated tailgate. So you don't freeze your hands while trying to push-start it.

Dan

Another Cummins in a Dodge shipping crate fan here ... my '97 at 198,000 is going strong (stronger than factory now at 350 HP 800 lbft torque - with way more to be had, for just a few dollars more)

However, I didn't get to fly this weekend as I was rebuilding the starter. Piece of junk that it only lasted this long :) ... $40 in parts (solenoid, contact plates, brush plate assembly and a gallon of parts cleaner) versus $400 for new Denso. I still have to solder in the brushes tonight.

Back