Chesapeake Bay and NY

UngaWunga

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
UngaWunga
I can recommend flying into W75 Hummel field. Very cheap avgas. Was 3.85, I think, when I flew through this weekend. Cheap overnight tiedowns. Two good restaurants very close by, and you can taxi right over to them. If you have a bicycle, its close to a very sleepy town of Deltaville. Good food to be had there as well.

Sky Acres 44N also has a good restaurant in NY. Was bumpy flying in, but the burgers are worth the stop.

Good to know! I always eye up that cheap fuel but haven't headed south in a while.

Thanks always like to stop at sky acres for a good breakfast.

I don't know about the availability of a courtesy car at W75 (frankly I'd bet on no) but in addition to the restaurants right at the field, there's a place called Merroir about a half mile down the road directly across from the South end of the runway. It's basically a "tasting room" for a fantastic oyster farming outfit called Rappahannock River Oysters (RRO) and features incredibly fresh raw and roasted oysters, crabcakes, scallops, shrimp, rockfish and the like. Worth noting is that it's on the water, and most seating is outdoor picnic tables with umbrellas, so in the winter capacity is drastically reduced - to about 4 small tables and ~8 indoor bar seats.

The distance would be walkable, but long for some. In a car it's about 2 minutes from the strip.

I don't know about the availability of a courtesy car at W75 (frankly I'd bet on no) but in addition to the restaurants right at the field, there's a place called Merroir about a half mile down the road directly across from the South end of the runway. It's basically a "tasting room" for a fantastic oyster farming outfit called Rappahannock River Oysters (RRO) and features incredibly fresh raw and roasted oysters, crabcakes, scallops, shrimp, rockfish and the like. Worth noting is that it's on the water, and most seating is outdoor picnic tables with umbrellas, so in the winter capacity is drastically reduced - to about 4 small tables and ~8 indoor bar seats.

The distance would be walkable, but long for some. In a car it's about 2 minutes from the strip.

Thanks for the PIREP. I've been wanting to check out Merroir for some time. Sounds like a nice place and a nice walk from the airport.

It's been a few years, but the German restaurant has always been good. I was at the Pilothouse last year, and it's still the same little greasy spoon sort of place- hasn't changed in 20 years.

Yes, I've heard about Merroir. It was on some list of the best seafood restaurants in the world, from what I'm told.

Hummel uses a tetrahedon instead of wind socks. It likes to freeze up occasionally. Look for other signs of wind direction to confirm, their runeay isn't terribly long, so a downwind landing can be more exciting than necessary.

I don't know about any specific ratings or awards but it is truly fantastic. The German place (called Eckard's I believe) is good by all accounts (and a lot closer) but I've never been there myself. The only downside to Merroir is that it is suddenly a very small place in any weather in which you'd rather be inside. But then most of us probably wouldn't be flying anyway!

My wife and I had lunch at Merroir today, it was fantastic. The walk from W75 is pleasant but closer to a mile. I parked at the transient tiedowns midfield but apparently you can also park in the grass at the south end of the field and save yourself some walking.

Last edited:
Just in case someone checks here, current info is that the south end is a private ramp and the owner doesn't appreciate transient parking there. Tiedowns at midfield are the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44n has a small pilot shop too. I was able to pick up some oil filters at normal prices. The restaurant had just closed for the day.

Just in case someone checks here, current info is that the south end is a private ramp and the owner doesn't appreciate transient parking there. Tiedowns at midfield are the way to go.

Are you referring to the small ramp in front of the Bay Aviation hangar? I always followed the taxilane onto the grass and next to the pilothouse/across from Eckharts. Might not be the best place to taxi a low clearance plane though.

Or is the grassy area off limits now too?

The last time I flew in, the woman at the FBO told me that the grassy area by The Pilot House Inn was ok. The time before, I inadvertently taxied up to Bay Aviation and was promptly invited to park elsewhere.

Sorry if I introduced some confusion. To my knowledge the grass by the Pilot House is ok. The paved ramp at the south end of the runway isn't. So if you taxi on across it to the grass you're good to go I believe. That said, when I asked specifically where transient parking was, I was pointed to the grassy area at midfield across from the fuel pumps and admin trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last time I flew in, the woman at the FBO told me that the grassy area by The Pilot House Inn was ok. The time before, I inadvertently taxied up to Bay Aviation and was promptly invited to park elsewhere.
Sorry if I introduced some confusion. To my knowledge the grass by the Pilot House is ok. The paved ramp at the south end of the runway isn't. So if you taxi on across it to the grass you're good to go I believe. That said, when I asked specifically where transient parking was, I was pointed to the grassy area at midfield across from the fuel pumps and admin trailer.

OK, that makes sense.

Back