Cherokee yokes - differences

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
Does anyone have a hard rule on the difference between Cherokee yokes? I've seen two different kinds, a two handled U shaped one and the older figure 8 "butterfly" shaped yoke. Maybe there are official names for the types, but I don't know them?

I prefer the U shaped yoke, probably because that's what I learned with. Is there a rule on what year / model when Piper switched from butterfly to U shaped? I know I've seen Cherokees with both types but I haven't been able to figure out a pattern. Maybe just personal preference of an owner replacing the yoke?

All PA-28 and PA-32 models (except the Cherokee 140) got the "Ram's Horn" yoke when they switched to the more modern "T" arrangement panel with lever-style power controls. The first of those was the Arrow 180 in 1967; then other models adopted it as major updates were introduced (Piper didn't hold to strict "model year" schedules in the late 1960s): The "Cherokee 180D" in 1968; and the "Cherokee 235C" and "Cherokee Six B" in 1969. The Warrior didn't come along until 1974, so it always had the new panel and yokes.

Here are Cherokee Six panels, from 1966 and 1970:

pa-32-260_1966_pnl.jpg

pa-32-300_1970_pnl.jpg

The Cherokee 140 was built with the "bow-tie" yoke from its introduction in 1964 all the way until it was discontinued after the 1977 model year. Here's my old '77 Cherokee 140, one of the last built:

N5331F_04.jpg

The Cherokee 150 and 160 were discontinued in 1967, before the new yokes came out.

You might come across some older airplanes that have been retrofitted with the newer yokes.

Last edited:
There's also a recurring AD for the bowtie yokes that you need to inspect the pin under the emblem every 100 hours. The ram's horn yoke which can be installed in a bow-tie plane eliminates that AD.

I was looking into putting the rams horn yokes into my 1965 PA-28-180C before I sold it.

Don't forget the two different shaft sizes. Are they a one-to-one match to the two yoke styles or were there large-shaft bowties and/or small-shaft ram's horns?

Don't forget the two different shaft sizes. Are they a one-to-one match to the two yoke styles or were there large-shaft bowties
Yes, on the 1969 and later Cherokee 140

and/or small-shaft ram's horns?
None of the airplanes built with the ram's horn had the smaller shaft. Dunno how they're adapted to older models.

The AD on the bow tie yokes is looking for cracks. I had to replace one so there is some basis for it. I don't know if there is metal reinforcement under the plastic or not. If so, the crack would just be cosmetic but it had to be replaced.

The AD on the bow tie yokes is looking for cracks. I had to replace one so there is some basis for it. I don't know if there is metal reinforcement under the plastic or not. If so, the crack would just be cosmetic but it had to be replaced.

Right exactly, thanks for the clarification.

I never had a problem with the bow tie yokes on the 140 I used to rent. I prefer the ram horn yokes but both are functional.

It would be kinda scary to have one of those break in flight. When I was instructing years ago, a C-182 pilot came into our FBO, ashen-faced, with half of a control wheel in his hand. Yikes.

You'll probably not notice RAM vs BOWTIE once you get use to where the PTT switch is located. On many bowties the PTT is on a chord to your headset rather than permanently installed.

Other than that, lower your hand and you turn left, lift your hand you turn right.

Back