Cherokee Wanted

PilotRPI

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
PilotRPI
Looking for a Cherokee. Looking for a higher value plane in great shape, rather than a low price beater. My ideal list is below but of course most of them are not deal breakers:

1969 or later (prefer the lever throttle and standard instrument config)
140, and possibly the right 180
IFR
GS and one VOR
Digital radios
Shoulder harnesses in front
500-1000 SMOH
Overhaul performed within the last decade
No long periods of disuse
Good paint and interior
Pilot side toe brakes

Last edited:
My Archer is listed here for $80k asking...meets all your needs and more.

Thank you. I'm looking more in the under $40k range at the moment.

Too bad I'm not ready to upgrade yet because I have your plane.

Good luck. You should be able to find a good 140 or 160 in that price range and with most if not all of the items on your list.

You my even be able to find a 180, but you might need to give up a few of your desired points in order to get a really nice one under 40k. The 180 is a workhorse so it does command a bit of a premium. That said, I'd suggest looking at your mission and making sure the 140 gives you the useful load you want. The added speed of a 180 is nice, but the useful load is where it really stands out vs. lower power PA28s.

Also, consider flying each if you haven't. Or, if you are set on a 140--don't. After I flew a 180 I couldn't buy a 140...

Good luck. You should be able to find a good 140 or 160 in that price range and with most if not all of the items on your list.

You my even be able to find a 180, but you might need to give up a few of your desired points in order to get a really nice one under 40k. The 180 is a workhorse so it does command a bit of a premium. That said, I'd suggest looking at your mission and making sure the 140 gives you the useful load you want. The added speed of a 180 is nice, but the useful load is where it really stands out vs. lower power PA28s.

Also, consider flying each if you haven't. Or, if you are set on a 140--don't. After I flew a 180 I couldn't buy a 140...

Another item for 160 vs 180 - where do you plan to fly? If low-alt most of the time, the 160 will be fine. But any plans to fly hills on a regular basis (the Rockies or the Appalachians) the 180 will almost be required. Yes, you can fly lower HP but that extra HP will be well worth it.

I live in Massachusetts.

90% of our flights will be 1-2 hours.
90% will be just me and the wife, combined 275 Lbs
I've rented 140s a bunch in the past, and always preferred how they flew over 172s. Nothing major, just personal preference.

A Cessna 150 almost works, but I like having the room in the back if we want to pack stuff (not high weight, just stuff like a couple folding bikes and a bag or two). I also like the idea of another 15-20mph in case I want to do an occasional trip to NC to visit family. This wouldn't be very often. Once a year at most.

Also, if I want to bring a friend wider than my skinny ass, a Cessna 150 gets quite tight. I've taken normal size guys up with me in a Cherokee and its much more comfortable.

I prefer the cherokee. What's your field elevation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in Massachusetts.

90% of our flights will be 1-2 hours.
90% will be just me and the wife, combined 275 Lbs
I've rented 140s a bunch in the past, and always preferred how they flew over 172s. Nothing major, just personal preference.

A Cessna 150 almost works, but I like having the room in the back if we want to pack stuff (not high weight, just stuff like a couple folding bikes and a bag or two). I also like the idea of another 15-20mph in case I want to do an occasional trip to NC to visit family. This wouldn't be very often. Once a year at most.

Also, if I want to bring a friend wider than my skinny ass, a Cessna 150 gets quite tight. I've taken normal size guys up with me in a Cherokee and its much more comfortable.

looks like a 140 will fit the bill for you. The hat rack STC would be nice for just a little more interior room. If you can find a good 180 in your price range, the rear cargo door will come in handy. Also, people don't generally complain about having too much useful load.

You should consider our 1976 Archer II on page 2 of this classified site. It is high time but flies several times a week. High compression readings, minimal oil usage, excellent cylinder wear and oil analyses. It has been hangared since we purchased it in 1993. Useful load of 660 lbs with full fuel. 9 gph fuel burn, maybe a little less. Tannis heater is on all winter, so no cold starts. No damage history. You could fly this home without any worries. The annual is due this month, if you are interested, I will make you a very good deal.

Take a look at our ad, and ask any questions you have.

Thanks

Last edited:
Field elevation will be 500 ft or less MSL. Have to pick between 3 local fields. Most stuff around here is long and paved. I do like going to Hampton and Crow Island, which are both around 2000 ft of smooth grass. So if it is just me and the wife and half tanks, we should be able to do that just fine.

I've always been a toothpick, which suits GA well. I've been wanting a plane absolutely forever, so it is tough now to be patient for the right one to come along, but I am finding the restraint.

Have you scoured trade-a-plane and controller? Always plenty to look at. Barnstormers too.

Every day. I'll called about a bunch that are close to what I am looking for, and it is scary how many people don't take care of their planes properly.

I've always heard the best planes people have bought were the ones that weren't for sale.

Are you open to the Warrior line as well? There are some in your price range.

Warriors seem to run about $10k higher or so than the Cherokees. I do enjoy flying them as well, so I'd be happy either way.

Looking for a Cherokee. Looking for a higher value plane in great shape, rather than a low price beater. My ideal list is below but of course most of them are not deal breakers:

1969 or later (prefer the lever throttle and standard instrument config)
140, and possibly the right 180
IFR
GS and one VOR
Digital radios
Shoulder harnesses in front
500-1000 SMOH
Overhaul performed within the last decade
No long periods of disuse
Good paint and interior
Pilot side toe brakes

My Cherokee fits most of your requirements except for shoulder belts and SMOH (because it is in the 3xx range! :) ).
As somebody pointed out, the best plane you want is one that is not for sale. Mine is not yet (not sure when you're looking to buy) but will be eventually as we are currently looking to upgrade to a faster retract.
If you are not in a rush to buy, shoot me a PM and we can talk.
FWIW, one other sign of a good airplane is when your mechanic wants to buy it. (I can provide his number)

Back