Cherokee Step

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
For the second time the step on my Cherokee Warrior started to crack. I had it welded not too long ago but the crack is back and it is being welded again. Is there a real fix for this problem or is it just more welding from time to time.

Where is the crack? in the elbow?

Jenny Craig?

The step on my Cherokee cracked at some point long before I bought it - I'd have to check the logs. It has a weld repair that has held even with my considerable weight on it. It looks like a good weld with an even bead across the whole width.

Maybe there's a way to reinforce the weld with a backing?

Could you get a step from a salvage yard?

Jenny Craig?
This was discussed on another thread. About the weight that the plane was designed for, not in terms of W&B, but things like the step, the wing walk, the seats, the floor. Had to do with if you would allow a passenger over 300 lb. to climb in, even if the W&B said it was OK.

Off topic - Can't help with the crack but a scar on my shin is a reminder of how important it is to keep the step coated with non-skid.

Constant re-welding is not a good thing. While a deep penetrating weld could solve the problem the first time, the area gets weaker with each consecutive weld. If it's cracking in the same area that the first weld was supposed to fix, I'd seriously consider shopping for a new step, lest ye fall and bust thine... uhhh... butt. :D

Clean clean clean, the key to welding aluminium. Might try turning up the frequency a bit.

I believe it's steel, at least mine is, but you are right about cleaning AL. I'm wondering if someone just laid the weld pretty much on the surface instead of getting real penetration. Mine was cracked when I bought the plane. Tig welded it 9 years ago, still going strong. Not sure but I may have used a high alloy filler rod as well.

Dave

Well Scott, FWIW i've dealt with Cherokee Salvage before they are a good company, and reasonable priced. I'd just buy one from them . Dave G

Back