Cherokee Six Maximum Range Question

Marcel Hazan

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Marcel Hazan
I am a pilot who is considering the purchase of a Cherokee Six. From the information that I have gathered, I expect that this airplane will travel around 135 knots for roughly four hours with IFR reserves. This is just short of the distance of my longest regular trip of 650 nm. While looking at the later sixes, I noticed that the 1979 model has a 94 gallon tank. This made me wonder if there is a variant of the six or a fixed gear Saratoga that would be capable of meeting my mission exactly. For example, would gami injectors on a '79 six make the plane capable of a 650 nm trip with an hour reserve? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Are you planning at max economy cruise. You can gain range by sacrificing a little speed.

Fold the gear up for extra range.

I would be willing to cut back on the speed if the time lost was less than the time and money spent on an additional fuel stop.

I'm not familiar enough with the plane to know if the ranges I gave were at best economy.

A Six used to join us for breakfast runs sometimes. It was fixed gear, slower than my 140-knot Mooney and used much more fuel. But he used to load up his wife and daughters, fill the middle with luggage and golf clubs, and head out 3 hours away. No idea what his range was.

Good luck with your search. Be sure to get a Pre-Purchase Inspection.

I am a pilot who is considering the purchase of a Cherokee Six. From the information that I have gathered, I expect that this airplane will travel around 135 knots for roughly four hours with IFR reserves. This is just short of the distance of my longest regular trip of 650 nm. While looking at the later sixes, I noticed that the 1979 model has a 94 gallon tank. This made me wonder if there is a variant of the six or a fixed gear Saratoga that would be capable of meeting my mission exactly. For example, would gami injectors on a '79 six make the plane capable of a 650 nm trip with an hour reserve? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
http://pristineairplanes.com/listing/1983-piper-saratoga-fixed-gear/
Matt can answer any questions about a fixed gear Saratoga

Back