Cherokee Shoulder Harness - Alpha

PilotRPI

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
PilotRPI
It looks like Alpha Aviation shoulder harnesses come pretty well recommended for install into a 1968 Cherokee 180. For those of you that have used them, any difficulty reaching the flap handle with the fixed ones, or do I need the inertia reel ones?

The inertia ones aren't a ton more, but I like the simplicity of the fixed ones (one less thing to go wrong).

I LOATHE the fixed shoulder harnesses. Drop something on the floor? Undo the harness. Need to reach into the glove box? Undo the harness. Need to adjust your jacket? Undo the harness.

I never use fixed harnesses as it impedes my ability to safely operate the plane.

Unless in more than mild turbulence, I never have the shoulder harness tight. Hence no problem with the flap or fuel on the cherokee 180.

I prefer the inertia reel belts,allows more motion in the cockpit.

Get the Piper kit. It has a retractable shoulder belt.
It requires drilling a hole in the roof spar for the bolted upper support bracket.

Either is better than neither. Just get one.

(I prefer manual Y shoulder harnesses with seaplane buckles myself. Movement in the cockpit is simple. Release and egress is simple. Cinch-down control in rough air is positive. To each their own.)

Back