Cherokee mod I'd like to see

Look at this photo of a late 1964 Cherokee 180C -- there are vent intakes open at elbow level front and rear.

...and fake passengers who don't care how hot it is!

Maybe this guy figured it out. That cuts waaaay down on bitchin and complaining...and pee stops.

Last edited:
I am currently rebuilding a 72 Cherokee. When I pulled the headliner I discovered a reason for lack of airflow from overhead vents. Apparently from age and head the tubing has shrunk enough to pull out if the vent housing. I wonder how many old Cherokees are like thisIMG_20170617_170619505.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170617_170636260.jpg
    IMG_20170617_170636260.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20170617_170642689.jpg
    IMG_20170617_170642689.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20170617_170626897.jpg
    IMG_20170617_170626897.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 34
Since mine is a '69, (or 70 as my finance company insists) I'm not lucky enough to have the overhead vents, just the ankle coolers. I have a friend with a Cessna 210 with overhead vents which don't work at all. Makes my ankle coolers seem kind of nice in comparison.

Those who own or have flown the lowly Cherokee know that the air vents are down next to the floor right in front of the seat. I would like to extend that vent up behind the upholstery and replace it with something like an eyeball vent somewhere more useful, like where I sweat the most around the chest and nugget area. I wonder if anyone has ever done this and what the approval process would be.

I didn't even realize Cherokees were like that...my Cherokee has exactly that...eyeball vent at chest level! And the little window opening as well as cabin vents and one above my head too

try this
9983.jpg

I built my own but this is Arizona, it takes a lot more than a little cooler to put a dent in 112 degrees American. In the summer, I just fly in the morning and evening.

I built my own but this is Arizona, it takes a lot more than a little cooler to put a dent in 112 degrees American. In the summer, I just fly in the morning and evening.
I totally understand. That being said I would think you could use some scat hose and the vents you posted to direct the air closer to a position of your liking. Of course you would most likely need a 337 to do so. Talk with your buddies at the local FSDO and run it past them.

That is the plan when I replace the side panels. I don't know about the 337; its just another ploy, perpetrated by the man, to keep a brutha down....and uncomfortable!

Notice I said "nugget" - not plural, as in - noggin, think bump, cabeza, etc. not to be confused with grapes, stones, family jewels, nads or big Jim and the twins.
Dammit, I was laughing hard at my initial interpretation.

^me too, I thought the poster initially was talking about the kind of air vent you see in some of the older Chevys, that had the vent just under the steering wheel pointing straight back at the seat

I also not heard of a head been referred to as a nugget.. but I agree, while the foot vent is great on the Piper, I do wish there was a better vent to get air on your head and face

Show of hands, (except the Navy and Marines in which the term is used for another meaning) how many military guys refrain from using the term "head" in reference to that thing on top of your shoulders?

The early cherokees had a scoop that opened on the door and on the pilots side by turning a knb beside the evnt shown in the pics. Find a salvage yard and get all the parts and install in your aircraft. Minor mod A &P signoff. There was also one below the dash on the pilot side operated by a cable. That one moves a lot of air. My fri nds 68-140 has these vents but not the low foot coolers

Back