Cherokee drivers

The scoops work great in the summer time. I do sometimes fly with mine open and I do find it gives better ventilation. It does create quite a vacumn though as I discovered one day while flying along and went to refold my chart. It simply disapeared out of my hands. It sucked it out the vent window so quick I did not even see it go. Took a second to figure out what the hell just happened and where did my chart go. Someone in Greenville NC. Got a free chart and it was new dang it. Good thing I had an old one in the back. Good for a laugh.

I have taken pictures out of the opened window in flight. Thankfully I was able to hold onto the camera with no problem.

Does not the POH list a maximum mini window open speed?

I would think it is supposed to be placarded, although I do not recall ever seeing a placard on any of the PA28s I've flown. On our Lance it came placarded from the factory. I believe it is something like 119 KIAS, but the airplane is in AZ and I'm in VA.

I had to replace the door window on my Warrior, so I had a mini window made for that as well. I had scoops on both windows. In Southern California, most of the year, it was greatly appreciated by my passengers. It does become part of your preflight speech so they don't deploy it in the air or on takeoff.

-John

The photo was taken with my flip phone at around eight thousand five hundred feet over the Mojave Desert. That white cloud in the distance turned out to be from fires, it was my first experience in full IFR conditions, I was in it about twenty minutes. I made contact with L.A. Center who seemed less than interested in my predicament.. I climbed above it at 12,500'. I am not IFR rated.

-John

Attachments

• returning from AZ, smoke ahead.jpg
    returning from AZ, smoke ahead.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back