Cherokee battery box resistor

kgruber

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skywag
While cleaning out my battery box I broke the wire leading to this resistor. The resistor looks like it might be worn out as well.

If you know of a replacement, please let me know.

It is a 67' PA28-180C, serial 28-3932

Here is a picture of the resistor....at least I think it is a resistor!!

resistorSmall_zpsd5bdcc6c.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
That's quite common, the last one I needed I got from the FBO at Bremerton.

I'll check my toolbox. I replaced the whole piece that it attaches to in my 66 Cherokee 140. I'm pretty sure I picked up a pair of resistors at the local electronics store "just in case", while I could still read the numbers on the side of the new one.

So, just for the fun of it, what is it?

From the location, I would guess that it's a resistor connected to the coil of the master solenoid to limit the current?

Looking at the piper parts manual..would it be a contactor power relay? 6041H105A.

Without checing a wiring diagram, I wonder if it could be a diode to prevent voltage spikes from the collapsing magnetic field when the solenoid current i shut off.

Without checing a wiring diagram, I wonder if it could be a diode to prevent voltage spikes from the collapsing magnetic field when the solenoid current i shut off.

It's a resistor. Mine had a big square ceramic one there. Looked similar to this one:

images

It can't be legal to install a $2 part on an airplane. It has to be at least $200 doesn't it?

It can't be legal to install a $2 part on an airplane. It has to be at least $200 doesn't it?

Yes, it is quite legal to install a $2 part on an airplane...however, the labor has to be $750 to do so.

You should see the bill for my prop re-seal - about 10 in parts and over 800 in labor.

That actually sounds about right, not that it makes it any less painful

With three prop shops in the area they have to be pretty square to stay in business. All three shops bids were within $100. The actual cost was about $100 below the estimate I was given over the phone.

With three prop shops in the area they have to be pretty square to stay in business. All three shops bids were within $100. The actual cost was about $100 below the estimate I was given over the phone.

Can't beat that with a stick!

Back