Cherokee 444 is Returning to the Airport

SkyChaser

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
SkyChaser
And the saga continues with my first quasi-emergency. LOL

I was supposed to fly my first solo cross-country today. I had everything planned out, the weather was beautiful - sky clear, wind calm, and 43*, and everything checked out on my preflight. After a lot of last-minute checks and assurances that if I needed anything I could just call her, my instructor told me to go have fun. I was super excited and I taxied out and took off. It was a little bumpy, but not bad. I climbed out, and then after radioing my intentions to depart to the south, started a climbing right turn to my desired heading.

As I was turning, I glanced out over the right wing...and there was fuel flowing out from the back of the cap and out over the wing. My first thought was, "I can't believe I messed up something so simple". I was pretty sure that I must've put the cap on crooked or not screwed it on right. Anyway, I was still super close to the airport, but I was almost at 3,500', so I did a pretty aggressive slip to lose enough altitude and entered downwind for a normal traffic pattern and landing. I got down, shut down, and hopped out. My instructor and another student were already out on the apron, wondering what happened since they heard me on the radio saying I was returning to the airport. I said I didn't put the fuel cap on right, but then when I walked over, it was obviously on right. I unscrewed it and put it back on, and it felt right, so I unscrewed it and turned it over. The seal had cracked through. It was still around the cap, so it felt right, but there was about 1/2" gap between the two ends of the seal, which let the fuel leak out when I was climbing. Now there's another thing to check when preflighting!

I didn't fly today, even though I could have just let it leak out until the tank wasn't full enough to drain out when climbing. I decided I didn't want to have that to think about when I was flying 64 nm away by myself for the first time, plus gas is expensive. ;) It turned out just as well - by the time I got down and the plane buttoned up, there were little clouds all over, which according to the ASOS were at the exact altitude I was planning to fly at. So, even though I'm on the ground wishing I could have flown, I am very glad I wasn't up in the sky wishing I could get down! :)

Time to spare go by air ,things can get very frustrating at times.

Good decision as others have said and also good situational awareness to notice it.

This is the one flight that you actually learn from. You didnt tie yourself in knots trying to decide what to do. You saw a problem, and made an immediate and correct decision. THIS is not something your instructor can teach.

You are clearly on the path to becoming , at the very least , a good pilot. Good job.

Last edited:
Or...press on and just adjust your fuel flow calcs on the ole whiz wheel...

:D

Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. I'd bet that the cap gasket didn't just split all the way through at once. It's been getting hardened and aged and has been cracking from the edge for a long time. I bet if you took it off and bent it, it would break easily. Stuff like this is supposed to be checked at annuals and 100-hour inspections.

Look at the gasket on the other cap. Might be in lousy shape, too.

You learned a lot;
AND
the airplane is still flyable (after replacing the gasket).

That's a win-win.

Now take it one step farther and consider:

"What's going on if you see fuel coming off the trailing edge of a high wing?"

The answer is the same thing. You don't have to actually see the cap to see when fuel is being siphoned out of the tank.

Good job!

On my first solo, I also had to return to land. C-152 radio transmit failed as did the co-pilot side, ATC knew I was a student pilot from the initial FF info. Used the transponder IDENT to respond to their questions ... they warned me to be ready to use the NAV radio to listen if complete radio failure. Found out on ground if I had PUSHED the radio into the tray harder I might have gotten transmit back:mad::(

Back