Cherokee 180 shoulder harness install

Irish_Armada

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Irish Armada
Our club finally bought a new plane, a 1968 Cherokee 180. Hooray! B) The plane is being delivered next week and I will be sure to post some pics. One of the first things on the agenda will be installing shoulder harnesses. Any recommendations? Also, would you do back seat harnesses as well while you're at it? Thanks!

I installed B.A.S. In my Cherokee 140 and have been happy with them. I agree, it is an important safety item.

I put BAS in a 172 and was very happy with the fit and workmanship. I would do the two front seats for sure,how often do you use the back seat.

Excellent question! About the back seat harness that is. Pal,in a twin commanche, both engines out in northern virginia in February. Due to water in fuel, iced up. Landed in farmers field, slid, hit embankment. Rear passenger came forward used owner- pilot as airbag. He never flew again. Both in front were strapped in, passenger in back was not. Really beat him up badly.

There is not much of a back seat in a Cherokee. Mine gets used maybe twice a year, so I did not install them in the back.

Just last month installed the BAS in the front of our Arrow. Did it myself, under qualified supervision. Estimate was six hours, I probably spent eight (not bad for my first airframe work). Good product, good support from the company. You will need to either wear something with a collar or install webbing condoms to avoid slight chafe on the neck. We did not feel the need to include the rear seats, due to infrequent use and softer impact surfaces (back of the front seats {filled with sleep apnea candidates} vs. the instrument panel).

Last edited:
I added the real Piper shoulder harness kit to the front seats in my 235. Not cheap but all OEM STC'd and legal.

It requires drilling through the fuselage to installed the reinforcement plates up high.

Alpha because they are retractable. Comfort and the ability to move in the air is a big deal.

I actually had a chance to use them in an accident and walked away from it without a scratch. Without it I definitely would have had my face planted in the dash. I did have a bruise on my shoulder from the belt... the deceleration was so fast.

First thing I added in my next plane.

http://www.alphaaviation.com/PA28323444.html

I have BAS in my Bo. Love 'em, agree on the collared shirt advice.

Last edited:
Alpha with an STC in two Comanche's. An easy installation that takes about 8 hours. You do need to drop the headliner around the installation area. Use a hair dryer or a heat gun on low to get the contact cement to release. They have retractable and non-retractable shoulder harnesses. The comfort level is acceptable. I have not tried them out for effectiveness like Jeff did.

Back