Cherokee 140 Radio Wiring Access

itsjames2011

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
James
Hello everybody,

I'm trying to trace down what I believe is a bad ground and a bad coax problem in my Cherokee(1964 PA28-140). Is there any way to take the top of the panel off or am I really expected to lay upside down with my head at the rudder pedals and try to reach stuff. All of the radios are in trays which all have wires connected to them so it's not like you can just pop the radio and then remove the trays. Any suggestions?

James

Sorry, but didn't anyone tell you during the prebuy that you're expected to be a contortionist?

Not kidding. That's really the only way. Some radios can be removed from the front (Garmin) because the tray is the connector. Others, such as the (*shudder*) Narco's and TKM, required you to crawl under and disconnect the connectors because the tray just holds stuff up. Don't know about Kings.

...Is there any way to take the top of the panel off or am I really expected to lay upside down with my head at the rudder pedals and try to reach stuff. ...

Welcome to the world of GA avionics! I can tell you from experience that you are in for a treat. Not only will you have to wriggle your way upside down and backwards behind the panel. But, what you'll find when you get behind there will have you pulling out your hair, if you are blessed enough to have any.

Are you sure you don't want to just take it to a shop that does Cherokee avionics/electrical all day long?

\ am I really expected to lay upside down with my head at the rudder pedals and try to reach stuff.

Harbor Freight moving pads on the aircraft floor double thickness are your friends. They protect your body and at the same time catch MOST of the nuts and other important pieces you drop as you work with one hand up the left side of the aircraft and the other hand up and over the top of the radio stack to get that one last stripped screw out ...

Your arms will strongly resemble a wrestling match with an irritated feral cat when you get done with the day.

Welcome to the club.

Jim

I don't own a Piper but wish you luck.

Happy Cessna owner/operator
:D

As a owner of two Pipers so far, I suggest taking Yoga.

I've done less comfortable things wrenching on vehicles. And I didn't get greasy, oily, or dirty working on the aircraft.

Another good reason for owning a homebuilt....
elect_open.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

I don't own a Piper but wish you luck.

Happy Cessna owner/operator
:D

looks like it needs some work...

or you really wanted a higher useful load....

Not kidding. That's really the only way. Some radios can be removed from the front (Garmin) because the tray is the connector. Others, such as the (*shudder*) Narco's and TKM, required you to crawl under and disconnect the connectors because the tray just holds stuff up. Don't know about Kings.

TKMs install just like whatever radio that particular model was designed to be a slide in replacement for.

looks like it needs some work...

or you really wanted a higher useful load....

Both. I'm nearing the end of cleaning but keep thinking of stuff to do "while you're in there" as avionics shop would say.

I keep thinking about a windshield

You call that little thing Moonraker? Puddle jumper seems more apropos.
Tch. Meets the original definition, as far as I'm concerned. James Bond notwithstanding.

Actually, the engine-out glide ratio meets the James Bond definition.. :)

Ron Wanttaja

Helps a lot if you take a minute to pull out the seats.

Both. I'm nearing the end of cleaning but keep thinking of stuff to do "while you're in there" as avionics shop would say.

I keep thinking about a windshield

oh man. Words I learned to hate: "ya know, while you're at it..."

Helps a lot if you take a minute to pull out the seats.
+1 :D remove the front seats, get a pillow or two on the rudder peddals.
I've also had some luck removing an instrument or two, and working through the holes.

Thank you so much for all the advice and suggestions. Removing the seats with a pillow and a gym mat was the winner. It turned out that it was simply an RF coupling issue inside the radio. I put in a new 175B and all is well however it is nice to have all new coax and solid grounds nonetheless. :)

Back