Cherokee 140 Pilot Side Vent Window

RonP

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
RvP
I am not sure I am even calling the tiny hinged window on the pilot's side window by the right name as a vent window but for the purposes of my question I will refer to it as the vent window.

I was watching an instructional video on landing a Cherokee 140. The instructor was solo in the Cherokee flying from the right seat. From takeoff, in the pattern and landing the vent window is open. I never read in the POH you can not fly with the vent open nor did I read anywhere you could fly with the vent open (maybe I missed it?).

I understand there are going to be opinions such as "I fly with it open all the time" and "I never fly with the vent window open". What is the recommendation use of the vent by Piper in the air?

Open or closed doesn't matter.

Don't get a koolscoop and leave it hanging out of the window at any decent speed. Think it had a warning for over 40 kts.

On taxi, I use my hand as a scoop to bring air in. Yes, the installed scoop has a speed limit and it will break off if exceeded.

I am not sure I am even calling the tiny hinged window on the pilot's side window by the right name as a vent window but for the purposes of my question I will refer to it as the vent window.

I was watching an instructional video on landing a Cherokee 140. The instructor was solo in the Cherokee flying from the right seat. From takeoff, in the pattern and landing the vent window is open. I never read in the POH you can not fly with the vent open nor did I read anywhere you could fly with the vent open (maybe I missed it?).

I understand there are going to be opinions such as "I fly with it open all the time" and "I never fly with the vent window open". What is the recommendation use of the vent by Piper in the air?
I don't recall any restrictions in the owners manual for that window. As others have said you can only use the scoop on the ground if you have it installed, but I'll open the window in flight if its a hot day and sometimes use my hand as a "scoop" to get a little extra air.

When I was working for the man flying Sikorsky S-76's, many of my fellow pilots left it open at 155 KTS. They would light up a coffin nail with no passengers on board. Later variants (Charlie models) had a CLEAR VISION WINDOW on both sides. There is no in rush of air. Instead, its a suction. Something to do with a guy named Bernuli. They are mentioned in the "smoke in the cockpit" part of the emergency CL.

I don't recall any restrictions in the owners manual for that window. As others have said you can only use the scoop on the ground if you have it installed, but I'll open the window in flight if its a hot day and sometimes use my hand as a "scoop" to get a little extra air.
:yeahthat:

Vent doesn't do much in flight other than add to the noise. Used to fly these for mosquitos and flew with both front windows open. Any chart or papers within a couple of feet would get sucked out.
058.JPG

I've used it before as a photo port to avoid taking photos through the plexi. Doesn't hurt it to be open in the air.

I'm guessing that GA POH's just hit the high points. Long ago, I would fly a military T-41B in the morning, then a flying club CE 172 that afternoon. Same aircraft, (almost) with different flight manuals. The POH for the club's Hawk said nothing about flight with the pilot's window open, Nada. The military T-41B's "Dash ten Operator's manual" however went into more detail. It listed a Vne for an open pilot's window as 100 mph. I would fly the Hawk with the same limitation and never lost a window in flight.

Back