Cherokee 140 LED NAV lights?

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
My left NAV light is out and I was wondering if there are any plug and play LEDs out there for the Cherokee. I'm guessing there isn't but just wanted to know.

There are led lights with the correct base to replace the nav lights.

No need for the lamps to be PMA. PSA lamps meet/exceed the required specs.
The red one needs to be paddle style though, the cheaper one isn't very bright. Green and white ones are fine.

The LEDs are red or green, so a clear lens can be installed on the wingtip. Friend of mine has these (the blade/paddle type) on her Comanche with clear lenses. They are BRIGHT.

Since they aren't PMAd did you need any special paperwork when you installed them? 12V or 24V?

Clear lens are you referring to the tail light?

You forget, we have the same airplane. No need for them to be PMA'd as mentioned earlier. No paperwork and 12V of course. Clear lens goes over the LED bulb replacing the red and green lenses.

You forget, we have the same airplane. No need for them to be PMA'd as mentioned earlier. No paperwork and 12V of course. Clear lens goes over the LED bulb replacing the red and green lenses.

Would you mind posting the link to the clear lenses? Thanks

Just to add up a bit - there's no requirement for the lamps to _BE_ PMA'd. They just need to MEET the requirements which these lamps do.
But again - the cheaper ones aren't as bright, and red LEDs are much more expensive to build, that is why the cheap red LED is not that great. I talked to Bob from PSA at Sun'n'Fun and he suggested I buy the red paddle style, and white and green "normal" style LEDs and was very happy with them.

This is the red LED you want.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/ledreplacement11-12241-4.php?recfer=17184

Buy the green and white (if you have a white tail light) from the previous link, and obviously use clear lenses.

Not to argue but add another point of view. The paddle lights may be brighter than the LED, but the LED are brighter than the incandescent originals. Just depends upon how bright you want them to be I guess.

Not to argue but add another point of view. The paddle lights may be brighter than the LED, but the LED are brighter than the incandescent originals. Just depends upon how bright you want them to be I guess.

Yeah, it just looks silly in my opinion when the green is very very bright, and red only barely brighter than the incandescent original. Looks better when both nearly blindfold you :)

Hmm well thanks guys. Will have to decide if I want to spend 75 on the red or not. I may pass for now

Or maybeeee I will get both paddles

Just to add up a bit - there's no requirement for the lamps to _BE_ PMA'd. They just need to MEET the requirements which these lamps do.
But again - the cheaper ones aren't as bright, and red LEDs are much more expensive to build, that is why the cheap red LED is not that great. I talked to Bob from PSA at Sun'n'Fun and he suggested I buy the red paddle style, and white and green "normal" style LEDs and was very happy with them.

This is the red LED you want.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/ledreplacement11-12241-4.php?recfer=17184

Buy the green and white (if you have a white tail light) from the previous link, and obviously use clear lenses.

Those are 14V though? Is that alright? They have very iffy reviews

Last edited:
Alright I think I will order the red and green paddles and the white in the normal config

Save your money, and order the green in normal config too. It's very very bright, and the red paddle is roughly the same brightness as the green normal one.

Save your money, and order the green in normal config too. It's very very bright, and the red paddle is roughly the same brightness as the green normal one.

Hmm alrighty but then it won't be symmetrical and look weird ;p

Ask Bob from PSA, I'm sure he will tell you. This is not my area of expertise.

It is mine. And who is Bob and what is PSA? I used to work for PSA (Pacific Southwest Airlines) but I doubt seriously that is where "Bob" is from.

Bob is the guy who wants to sell you a more expensive red light bulb.

I have both, the "pine cone" design was a disappointment, the paddle is what I wanted. So it wasn't just that he wanted to sell a more expensive bulb.

Do we have any side by side comparison to how much brighter the paddle light is over the "pine cone" as you say? My pine cone is plenty bright compared to the incandescent it replaced.

http://psaenterprises.com/
1-800-922-4491
Bob is the owner.
I have no interest in having a fellow that peddles a product explaining to me how his more expensive product is difficult to make. If you don't have an unbiased source, please don't waste my time. I've spent too much time studying gallium arsenide to spend it with hucksters.

THanks,

Jim

Last edited:
I have no interest in having a fellow that peddles a product explaining to me how his more expensive product is difficult to make. If you don't have an unbiased source, don't waste my time.

THanks,

Jim

Jeez bud you need to take it down a notch. He was just repeating what was told to him. Thanks.

Do we have any side by side comparison to how much brighter the paddle light is over the "pine cone" as you say? My pine cone is plenty bright compared to the incandescent it replaced.

I ordered the green and red paddle and then the pine cone white/strobe rear. We can get together and compare brightness sometime :p

Hmm, might orders red whit and green pine cone style ones for my 185, 28vdc

Jeez bud you need to take it down a notch. He was just repeating what was told to him. Thanks.

Sorry, when somebody makes a statement, I am used to them knowing this of their own knowledge. If it had been stated, "Bob said they were more expensive to produce" I would have taken it as a simple repetition without authority.

Thanks back atcha...

Jim

Sorry, when somebody makes a statement, I am used to them knowing this of their own knowledge. If it had been stated, "Bob said they were more expensive to produce" I would have taken it as a simple repetition without authority.

Thanks back atcha...

Jim

Just seemed a little hostile towards a fellow pilot. You could have asked the same question without coming off as rude.

image.jpg

I have no interest in having a fellow that peddles a product explaining to me how his more expensive product is difficult to make. If you don't have an unbiased source, please don't waste my time. I've spent too much time studying gallium arsenide to spend it with hucksters.

THanks,

Jim

Once again you just post a worthless rant with zero content. At least I quoted my source - you never do, you just claim to know what you are talking about but never actually prove any of it.

If you can make red LEDs that seem as bright to our eyes as green LEDs for the same price, why don't you make them? And why does everyone else struggle producing them? I know - you have no clue how. Last time I checked, your crappy 90's website only lists some antenna splitters that are not currently available - nothing about semiconductors.

Go find a lollipop and choke on it.

OP ordered his LED's, made by the company Bob owns, and he will be very happy with them. You, you had nothing to contribute to this (or any other) thread.
In my opinion, that makes Bob the authority, not you.

Once again you just post a worthless rant with zero content.

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

However, you can google LZ4-00R108 from LEDENGIN. I couldn't find any LEDs with only 100 foot candles, so I chose the next power level up. The R means red, replace with G for green, and CW for cool white ("aviation white"). Price in hundreds is $8 for red and $9.50 for green and white respectively. Same light output from all three. Perhaps from your great knowledge of physiology and optics you can elucidate (that means "tell") us why green of a same light output may appear brighter than an equal output from red?

My crappy website has no antenna splitters at all. Antennas, yes. ADS-B in and out, yes. Lots of stuff I'm not ready to release just now. A lot of them from a pretty successful fifty years of engineering, writing, teaching, and consulting.

Bye.

and since FAR 23.1397 and Far 23.1401 spell out the requirements, and there is no PMA, STC, or TSO on these parts, how do i answer when the FAA asks to see my A&P and IA and asks please show us the acceptable data that shows these meet the requirments of those mentioned far's?

oh, and by the way i will take jims years of experience in electronics and avionics over someone that is trying to sell me an un-approved part and with no paper work that shows it meets the FAR's.

bob

Back