Cherokee 140, fat man, low elevation

Yes, except you might survive a landing in the mountains, but you won't survive a ditching in Lake Michigan. However, don't want to dredge up this old discussion, it's your call as PIC.

Sure ya can, my sister's ex-father-in-law did along with a few others when a helo went down during the month of November. And a guy just survived 17 hours in Lake Huron.

The guy in Lake Huron tread water for 17 hours. If someone ditched a helo, did they have survival gear? Sure it's possible with an exceptional swimmer and the right gear. In a rented single I'd probably want a quality life vest and a PLB, because I personally can't swim for 17 hours, and the guy in Lake Huron was lucky to be stumbled upon by a boat.

It's just a personal call as PIC.

Sure ya can, my sister's ex-father-in-law did along with a few others when a helo went down during the month of November. And a guy just survived 17 hours in Lake Huron.

If he had went down a minute earlier, he wouldn't have been in the shallow warm water that allowed it.

Yes, except you might survive a landing in the mountains, but you won't survive a ditching in Lake Michigan. However, don't want to dredge up this old discussion, it's your call as PIC.

Labor Day weekend (when Nick would be crossing) is probably the most survivable time of year. The lake is at its warmest in September and October, and lots of boats out on the water.

Were I Nick, I'd simply divert slightly east and go over Beaver Island at 12,500. Pretty easy to remain within glide range of shore (actually, within glide range of airports!) when you go over there.

web.png

Another option would be to go over to the west and down the Chicago lakeshore. I'm sure Nick would welcome the opportunity to go past Little Dick Daley's house, make some airplane noise, and flip him off. :D

attachment.php

Either one only adds about .3 to the trip. Me, since I like seeing various sights - I'd go one way, and return the other.

Attachments

• web.png
    web.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Careful about getting in trouble with Apple on those photos. The time is "incorrect" and the battery isn't 100%.

We had a guy on our local 2200 foot grass strip with a Cherokee 140. He landed one summer day with three FS adults, topped of the tanks, and never made it. He crashed and burned, and hs son and DIL got out, but he died in the fire. It was hard to tell his charred body from the burnt seat. His autopsy showed high carbon monoxide levels and other findings that demonstrating he died in the fire and not from crash trauma.

Seems to me a Cherokee 140 is a little limited in utility since it's so undeowered.

What's going on with that?

From what I was told when you submit a screenshot to the iStore as a developer, it had to have a specific time shown, and the battery and signal at max.

We had a guy on our local 2200 foot grass strip with a Cherokee 140. He landed one summer day with three FS adults, topped of the tanks, and never made it. He crashed and burned, and hs son and DIL got out, but he died in the fire. It was hard to tell his charred body from the burnt seat. His autopsy showed high carbon monoxide levels and other findings that demonstrating he died in the fire and not from crash trauma.

Seems to me a Cherokee 140 is a little limited in utility since it's so undeowered.

There aren't a lot of cherokee 140's that can carry full fuel and 4 adults. Mine is a bit on the heavy side and all I can carry is a little under 400lbs plus full fuel.

[QUOTEThere aren't a lot of cherokee 140's that can carry full fuel and 4 adults. Mine is a bit on the heavy side and all I can carry is a little under 400lbs plus full fuel.[/QUOTE]

I think the OP, Nick, was considering a 140 for a xc plane for a family.

Careful about getting in trouble with Apple on those photos. The time is "incorrect" and the battery isn't 100%.

From what I was told when you submit a screenshot to the iStore as a developer, it had to have a specific time shown, and the battery and signal at max.

BS. Hell, go look at ForeFlight - Every time is different on their shots, and one of them has the battery at 68%.

The reason you generally see the battery at 100% on those shots is that they're taken on a computer in the iPad Simulator - Takes a step out of the process, y'know. And while the time shown is whatever time the computer is set to, the battery will always be 100% because it's not a real device.

BTW, if you look at the shots, all the ones that say "Carrier" in the upper left are taken on the iPad simulator. The other one looks like it was taken in flight, with the WiFi and cellular data both turned off (which is why it simply says "iPad" in the upper left, and has no signal indicators).

The whole "time" thing is actually in Apple's own screen shots. They're usually taken with a specific time that's during the keynote presentation where the product was introduced. :idea:

BS. Hell, go look at ForeFlight - Every time is different on their shots, and one of them has the battery at 68%.
I have a contract with Apple that is very specific about what is and isn't permitted in the screenshots - not sure if they do - but it seems to be ignored by many.

I have a contract with Apple that is very specific about what is and isn't permitted in the screenshots - not sure if they do - but it seems to be ignored by many.

That's where I heard it. But you don't know what you are talking about. :)

[QUOTEThere aren't a lot of cherokee 140's that can carry full fuel and 4 adults. Mine is a bit on the heavy side and all I can carry is a little under 400lbs plus full fuel.

I think the OP, Nick, was considering a 140 for a xc plane for a family.[/QUOTE]

Well, from post #7 (I believe) I'd conclude it was for Nick and his wife. By my counting that's two short of the 4 adults in the quoted post.

Holy crap. And developers actually agree to those terms??

Why does Apple get to control how you're going to advertise your own app? You can't run TV spots without their approval??

Holy crap. And developers actually agree to those terms??
I've made a pretty sizable chunk of change via the app store given the fact that I've put almost no effort towards advertising. I can't complain.

$10-15k for not much speed increase is hard to justify, especially if a PA28-140 will fit the bill.

That's what I'm trying to figure out. If I stay to the lower elevations (which I will now), will a Cherokee 140 support a 260 pound man and his approximately (but slightly over) FAA Standard wife?

Well, a Cherokee 140 has been flying this fat guy and family from Miami to Los Angeles to El Paso to Toronto for the last 15 years. The few extra horses would be nice from time to time, but I do get the added benefit of being able to use auto fuel. I wouldn't want to fly it in mountainous areas, but then I wouldn't be excited about flying a 180 in the mountains either. Just my $.02

Well, a Cherokee 140 has been flying this fat guy and family from Miami to Los Angeles to El Paso to Toronto for the last 15 years. The few extra horses would be nice from time to time, but I do get the added benefit of being able to use auto fuel. I wouldn't want to fly it in mountainous areas, but then I wouldn't be excited about flying a 180 in the mountains either. Just my $.02

My Dad says he flew his 140 Coast to Coast through the Colorado Rockies. Of course that was back in the heyday of GA (late '60s), when you couldn't die flying a plane, there was no such thing as a TFR, and pilots were so cool they'd get laid just for saying "Fuselage". Well, that's they way Dad remembers it.

My contract with Apple:
https://developer.apple.com/appstore/AppStoreMarketingLicense.pdf

The guidelines one must follow as per that contract:
http://developer.apple.com/iphone/artwork/guidelines.pdf

The asset files the guidelines refer to have the status bar at the top that you're supposed to use and not modify.

That's for using an entire iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad image on your web site, not for the screen shots that are IN the app store.

I've made a pretty sizable chunk of change via the app store given the fact that I've put almost no effort towards advertising. I can't complain.

Not to mention, Apple is always being named the "most valuable brand" and their very specific guidelines for using the branding on others' sites for consistency and lack of confusion with other products/brands is a large part of why that is. Same way that their very specific Mobile Human Interface Guidelines (and the analogous OS X HIG) make for very consistent behavior between apps that helps users use all apps effectively and makes for a much better user experience.

Back