Checkride Weather Brief

cocolos

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
cocolos
So I was told to get the brief the night before but do I just get a standard brief as if I was leaving that night or an outlook brief for the next day?

If it's more than 6 hours into the future you can only get an outlook brief anyway. AIM 7-1-4

Last edited:
If it's more than 6 hours into the future you can only get an outlook brief anyway. AIM 7-1-4

yes I understand but what I am asking is do I ask for a brief as if I'm departing the night before, i.e. standard brief, or and outlook for the day of the checkride.

yes I understand but what I am asking is do I ask for a brief as if I'm departing the night before, i.e. standard brief, or and outlook for the day of the checkride.

Sorry I misread the question. If it's the DPE who told you this, he or she is the only one that really can answer the question. I would probably ignore that advice and get a standard briefing in the morning, a couple hours before the checkride.

Sorry I misread the question. If it's the DPE who told you this, he or she is the only one that really can answer the question. I would probably ignore that advice and get a standard briefing in the morning, a couple hours before the checkride.

ok cool thanks.

You will want a full brief no more than a couple of hours before the planned departure time. You can certainly get a brief the night before for planning purposes, but you will need to update it on the morning of the flight, including the effect of current winds on your flight plan/log as well as the actual ceilings/visibilities and any changes in the forecast on your planning and go/no-go decision.

IOW, do it like you were really launching on that cross-country flight at the actual time you will be launching on your checkride.

I looked at an Outlook the night before, to now what to expect, and then printed off a standard briefing the morning of, and highlighted stuff I thought was particularly important.

If you're bringing a stack of papers to the oral, I'll suggest that taking a few notes rather than highlighting will make the information easier to find. A full "real language" printout of a DUATS briefing is a huge pile of "stuff," the vast majority of it irrelevant to a VFR pilot in a spam can. Do you really care if twy U at the nearby Class B airport is limited to weights under 50,000 lb?

Back