Checkride Update

Pilotguy44

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Pilotguy
Hey everyone, it's been a very busy and extremely stressful past 3 weeks preparing for my CFI checkride. But after all the late nights, the sweating bullets, the thousands of dollars (of course, lol), and a lengthy 9-hour checkride, I'm proud to say as of yesterday, 05-01-2009, I'm a certified flight instructor!!!

The most brutal part of the entire thing was - by far - the ground portion of the checkride. 5 hours of being grilled on everything from FOIs to Operation of Aircraft Systems. He mostly presented things to me by way of scenarios, saying things like, "Well let's say I'm Jim, and I want to solo today...." etc etc etc. I choked a few times on the ground and in the air, but ultimately I must have made a positive impression because I walked away with a new certificate in my pocket. A certificate that I know I earned. :D

Having said that, I just wanted to thank everyone here for the great advice you all gave me a few weeks ago concerning my checkride. I'm glad to be a part of these forums now and I really appreciate the help this community of fellow pilots has to offer.

Now.. off to my local FBO to take up the manager - a good friend of mine - on a CFI job offer!!!

Hey everyone, it's been a very busy and extremely stressful past 3 weeks preparing for my CFI checkride. But after all the late nights, the sweating bullets, the thousands of dollars (of course, lol), and a lengthy 9-hour checkride, I'm proud to say as of yesterday, 05-01-2009, I'm a certified flight instructor!!!
Congrats -- the initial CFI is the most grueling of all practical tests.
He mostly presented things to me by way of scenarios, saying things like, "Well let's say I'm Jim, and I want to solo today...." etc etc etc.
Keep that in mind when preparing your trainees for their practical tests, because that's the way all practical tests are supposed to work now.

Congrats -- the initial CFI is the most grueling of all practical tests.

Keep that in mind when preparing your trainees for their practical tests, because that's the way all practical tests are supposed to work now.

Thanks Ron! :D
My CFI instructor has also stressed that a lot on me over the past few months of training - about the importance of using scenario-based training to test the student's decision-making skills in various situations. I'll be sure to incorporate that into my instructing when I start taking on new private students in the next few weeks.

Good job, Ryan! We need more instructors out there.:)
:blueplane:
ApacheBob

That's great news! Congratulations.... we want to hear about that first student, too!

Back