Checkride scheduled late?

davef22

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Dave
Anyone had their Private pilot check-ride delayed? Say your instructor is happy and beginning to schedule but the next available day is after 2 weeks, has this happened to anyone? I don't have an issue going for a refresher flight before the check ride and I am confident but my check-ride is delayed due to unavailability of an FAA examiner.

Unavailability in the sense I mean't they are booked. I completely understand they have jobs and need time-offs as well. I am just wondering if this is normal?

Mine was rescheduled 2 times.
I met my instructor 2 hours before the checkride and we flew to the DPE together.

Guess what we did on the way.
Doing a practice checkride moments before the real one, I found to be very helpful.
It made for a long day but it put me in flying / testing mode and reduced having to start cold at test time.

I think I would have had more jitters if I drove to the field and there is just me, the DPE, and the plane

I had mine rescheduled twice. First time because my DPE's re-registration paperwork was held up by the FAA. The second time was weather.

After the first checkride got cancelled I had to wait almost a month for my next opportunity. At the time (don't know what the situation is now) the St. Louis region was short on DPE's, three or four were out with paperwork issues with the FAA. Surrounding regions were apparently short too, they supposedly kept asking for St. Louis area DPE's to come help out and also kept sending their students down here for checkrides.

Thanks for the responses. It is just that I am so close now and want to be done with it and confident to come back in 2 weeks as well to do a review/refresher flight with my instructor and then take the test. Just going to continue revising for oral and lots of chair flying.

At the time I tested, the DPEs were VERY busy. We scheduled over a month in advance ... my CFI anticipated this and scheduled according to when he thought I would be ready plus an extra flight or two,

Why such a shortage of DPEs anyway?
Seems like there are never enough to go around

Why such a shortage of DPEs anyway?
Seems like there are never enough to go around

The FSDO's parcel them out through feudalistic system rather than using a merit/open market system. Keeps the price jacked up and the quality low.

Wasn't my checkride, but I had a long stint when then weather wasn't good enough to get my last (long) solo xc in and so I did a lot of short pattern work days to keep current while I waited for the weather, the plane, and my schedule to all coincide.

Happened to me about 3 times

They are very busy around here, and knowing this my CFI scheduled mine about 2 weeks ahead of time. He told me "either you can do it in 2 weeks, or it'll be closer to a month before he's available again". My DPE also flies charter jets and ended up getting a trip the weekend I was scheduled, so my date got moved up by a couple days. Added a little stress for me to get ready, but it worked out.

Back