Checkride scheduled for Sunday at noon...

Hobobiker

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Hobo
DPE called me tonight and asks if Sunday at noon would work. Sure! Cool! So I get to call back Saturday night to get my flight plan info.

Long time coming, but it's finally here...

Suprised they didn't already tell you the destination.

Good luck! Although since you've already been deemed overprepared, I don't think you'll need luck.:wink2: Looking forward to the post-checkride write-up.

Good luck! Although since you've already been deemed overprepared, I don't think you'll need luck.:wink2: Looking forward to the post-checkride write-up.

Thanks Kat, but while others may think I'm over prepared I certainly don't. It's all relative I guess...

Thanks Kat, but while others may think I'm over prepared I certainly don't. It's all relative I guess...

No student ever thinks he or she is prepared. Then most end up amazed at how relatively easy the checkride seemed, compared with the journey on the way to it! For instance, during training with my CFI, I could never get steep turns right. I always blew altitude, or they weren't steep enough. I was really dreading them on my checkride. And then on checkride day, I nailed them! It's weird, but it's like you rise to the occasion. Anyway, just relax, and I'm sure you'll do fine.

Captain Levy’s Checkride Advice

1. Relax and enjoy it. Nationwide, about 90% of applicants pass on the first try, so look around and see if you think you’re as good as 9 out of 10 other students. Also, your instructor must maintain a pass rate of at least 80% to get his ticket renewed, so he’s not going to send you up unless he’s pretty darn sure you’ll pass – otherwise, he has to find four other people to pass to make up for you, and that’s not always easy.

2. Go over with your instructor the logbooks of the aircraft you're going to use the day BEFORE the checkride to make sure it's all in order (annual, transponder checks, ELT ops and battery, 100-hour if rented, etc.). If the airplane's paper busts, so do you. Run a sample W&B, too – get the examiner’s weight when you make the appointment. If you weigh 200, and so does the examiner, don’t show up with a C-152 with full tanks and a 350 lb available cabin load – examiners can’t waive max gross weight limits.

3. Relax.

4. Rest up and get a good night's sleep the night before. Don't stay up "cramming."

5. Relax.

6. Read carefully the ENTIRE PTS including all the introductory material. Use the checklist in the front to make sure you take all the stuff you need -- papers and equipment. And the examiner’s fee UP FRONT (too much chance a disgruntled applicant will refuse to pay afterward) in the form demanded by the examiner is a “required document” from a practical, if not FAA, standpoint.

7. Relax.

8. You’re going to make a big mistake somewhere. The examiner knows this will happen, and it doesn’t have to end the ride. What’s important is not whether you make a mistake, but how you deal with it – whether you recover and move on without letting it destroy your flying. Figure out where you are now, how to get to where you want to be, and then do what it takes to get there. That will save your checkride today and your butt later on.

9. Relax.

10. You're going to make some minor mistakes. Correct them yourself in a timely manner "so the outcome of the maneuver is never seriously in doubt" and you'll be OK. If you start to go high on your first steep turn and start a correction as you approach 100 feet high but top out at 110 high while making a smooth correction back to the requested altitude, don't sweat -- nail the next one and you'll pass with "flying colors" (a naval term, actually). If you see the maneuver will exceed parameters and not be smoothly recoverable, tell the examiner and knock it off before you go outside those parameters, and then re-initiate. That shows great sense, if not great skill, and judgement is the most critical item on the checkride.

11. Relax.

12. During the oral, you don’t have to answer from memory anything you’d have time to look up in reality. You never need to memorize and know everything. Categorize material as:

a. Things you must memorize (i.e. emergency procedures, radio calls, airspace, etc).
b. Things you must know or have reasonable understanding of (i.e. interpreting weather codes, non-critical regs).
c. Things you must know about but can look up and will have time to look up on the ground.

(Thanks to Mark Bourdeaux for this categorization.) So if the examiner asks you about currency, it’s OK to open the FAR book to 61.56 and 61.57 and explain them to him. But make sure you know where the answer is without reading the whole FAR/AIM cover-to-cover. On the other hand, for stuff you’d have to know RIGHT NOW (e.g., best glide speed for engine failure, etc.), you’d best not stumble or stutter – know that stuff cold. Also, remember that the examiner will use the areas your knowledge test report says you missed as focus points in the oral, so study them extra thoroughly.

13. Relax.

14. Avoid this conversation:
Examiner - Q: Do you have a pencil?

Applicant - A: I have a #2, a mechanical, a red one...
Applicant - A: I also have an assortment of pens, and some highlighters...
Applicant - A: Yes.
Examiner - Thank you.
One of the hardest things to do when you’re nervous and pumped up is to shut up and answer the question. I've watched people talk themselves into a corner by incorrectly answering a question that was never asked, or by adding an incorrect appendix to the correct answer to the question that was. If the examiner wants more, he'll tell you.

15. Relax

16. (Courtesy of PoA’s Anymouse) If the examiner is talking, never, ever interrupt him. There are two reasons for this:
a) You just might learn something from him, and
b) He just might do the oral for you.

17. Relax.

18. Some questions are meant simply to test your knowledge, not your skill, even if they sound otherwise. If the examiner asks how far below the cloud deck you are, he is checking to see if you know the answer is “at least 500 feet,” not how good your depth perception is. He can’t tell any better than you can, and the only way to be sure is to climb up and see when you hit the bases, which for sure he won’t let you do.

19. Relax

20. It’s a test of your flying skill, not your knowledge of PTS minutiae. Make sure you know which maneuver the examiner wants done, and confirm the details if necessary – before you start the maneuver. Does s/he want stalls taken all the way to the break or just to the buffet or “first sign of impending stall”? Is that “spot landing” s/he asked for the “power-off 180-degree accuracy approach and landing” no more than 400 feet beyond the spot or the “short-field approach and landing” which allows use of power but no more than 200 feet beyond the spot (PP standards)?

21. Relax

22. Remember the first rule of Italian driving: "What's behind me is not important." Don't worry about how you did the last maneuver or question. If you didn't do it well enough, the examiner must notify you and terminate the checkride. If you are on the next one, forget the last one because it was good enough to pass. Focus on doing that next maneuver or answering the next question the best you can, because while it can still determine whether you pass or fail, the last one can’t anymore. If you get back to the office and he hasn't said you failed, smile to your friends as you walk in because you just passed.

23. Relax and enjoy your new license.

Ron Levy, ATP, CFI, Veteran of 11 license/rating checkrides, including 4 with FAA inspectors

I too was nervous and was questioning if I was ready or not. I studied really hard the few nights before, but it still didn't prevent me from having a few brainfarts. My oral went better than I thought it would, I only had to look up 2 answers, but my flying seemed to me to be terrible. I froze up for a minute when I was asked to find my position using 2 VOR's, thought for sure I was about to tank the ride. I also had a hard time on a few landings, had to go around a couple of times, and I even had an aborted take-off. "Relax" is the best advice.

PPL checkride isn't about flying like Chuck Yeager. It's about being safe, situational awareness and good decision making.

IMHO, it doesn't really do a lot of good to go cramming the night before. Spend some time during the day studying or reading...maybe even go fly a little and work on some landings or something if you can...but cramming until late into the night is unnecessary and probably does more harm than good.

Get a good nights sleep, eat a good breakfast (not too much caffeine!), get to the airport early and get your stuff setup...plenty of time to use the restroom and get the jitters out. There's nothing worse than starting this process running late.

The oral is pretty subjective although there are definitely certain things that you can screw up and be failed for. Overall though, it's OK to go digging into the FAR/AIM and other official study stuff (like your Jeppesen book)...just don't do it every question. For example, I used the small sticky notes to mark up important stuff in my FAR/AIM so I could get it to quickly if/when I needed it. Stuff like TOMATO FLAMES (and my DPE specifically thanked me for not saying that or trying to regurgitate all of that from memory...complete waste of time to memorize that in his and my opinion...). I knew most of them but as I was telling him a few of them I was opening my FAR/AIM and showing him the reg.

Everyone is going to make some bonehead mistakes or forget something on the checkride - you won't be perfect. I promise. I forgot to pull the flaps on the FIRST takeoff which was a short field. My plane doesn't need flaps for takeoff in any other configuration than short field (which I only did practicing those specifically) so I forgot to pull them up. I had started tracking my XC and he says, "Are you forgetting anything?" which led me to believe I was...so I started scanning the cockpit and realized the flap handle was up. I also switched from a east heading to a west heading during my diversion and after I was situated he asked me, "Are we OK to fly VFR at this altitude?". Of course I said no and climbed 1k feet to make it right.

So, you get my point. You'll make some mistakes just correct them promptly and you'll be OK. If you are flying well enough and reasonable DPE (and mine was a hard ass) will give you a second chance...even if you don't even realize he/she is giving you one. My slow flight (which ironically was one of my favorite things to practice...i could nail it at any flap configuration/speed) was atrocious during my checkride. But, it was one of the last things we did and I knew I had done pretty well up to that point...so he let it slide and let me get setup right. My DPE even said, "Nail the patterns and we won't do turns around a point and S-turns...fly them loose and we'll head out and do them...". Maybe you'll get lucky on some of that stuff too. :)

Anyway, my point is - don't worry about going out there and being perfect. Just make sure you USE THE CHECKLIST, do your clearing turns and ask for clarification if need be. Don't assume anything.

Best of luck!!

Last edited:
Good luck! Weather looks nice too!

The night before xcountry assignment is not unusual. Some DPEs don't want candidates to get help from their CFIs, they want them to do the work themselves.

yeah, I got mine a few days before. Maybe this DPE is different but I think most of them are creatures of habit and do a lot of the same things for all their rides. I talked to a couple folks who had within the last couple months done their checkride with the same DPE and he did just about everything they said he was going to do - including the same XC. I also did a few hours with a new CFI from the school who had done all her checkrides with him and she gave me a lot of good pointers based on his 'habits'.

That said, my DPE has his PPL students plan a 400+ NM XC from Waco, TX to College Station, TX to Austin, TX then back up to Waco, TX at night. Sure, you only fly the first 20 minutes of it...but you still have to do all the work plotting 10-20NM checkpoints...it takes forever. It would be quite dick'ish to throw that on someone the night before, IMHO.

So, the most valuable experience you can probably get once you've scheduled the checkride is intel on the DPE...either from CFI's or even better...folks who have recently done a ride with him/her.

10-20 mile checkpoints?

It's a check ride, not ground school. IRL, that would create an unacceptable workload. It's barely more than 5 minutes.

Make a competent, safe nav log. For a trip like that, plan "I follow roads" and place a checkpoint every 15 minutes or so (up to 30, perhaps) to test fuel planning. Austin to Waco is directly up I-35.

If you can see your next three checkpoints, you have too many.

I'm just telling you what the guy expected MAKG...don't shoot the messenger. :) I came in with my first draft of the XC with the CFI that used him for all her checkrides and she was like, "Yeah, they need to be within at least 30nm of each other or less or he'll ding you...".

And remember, he asked for a 3 legged 400+ NM XC for a PPL checkride... so, a little on the 'out there' side... But whatever, since you finished your PPL checkride when was the last time you wrote out a NavLog like that anyway? I get it - I understand how to do one and what I was supposed to learn in the process and if I had to, I could do one again.

Yeah, the Austin/Waco is easy - especially at night - because that's exactly what I told him. I'm flying the freeway and at night it's harder to pick out smaller stuff or just stuff you can't see like lakes so finding big stuff like interstate highways works out great. In fact, I told him I'm flying the GPS on the way back using a couple waypoints along the highway. He was cool with that.

My point was - all the DPE's are different and some just have their quirks or things that they are really focusing on at the time. Get some intel on what they want/expect and it'll make your life a WHOLE lot easier.

Last edited:
Remember if by any chance you fail a maneuver tell the examiner that you want to continue. It would make it a lot easier the next time.
Good luck.

Back